Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:50:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe game formerly known as Chroma
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: The game formerly known as Chroma  (Read 61387 times)
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: September 28, 2012, 10:48:33 AM »

I really, really, REALLY like the concept of having two "personas", where one is the shadow that can use the shadows as platforms and other things.  I think this has great potential and I can't wait to see more! Beer!

Cheers, I love that aspect too, makes me excited to develop it further Grin

On that multiple "persona" note, here's another screenshot that I thought was pretty cool, tempted to use this as a desktop background:

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: October 05, 2012, 09:52:42 AM »

Coming to the end of my 2 weeks off work now (SadPanda) but I've got a lot lot lot done and it's been really fun, reeeeeally hope that one day I can do it full time.

Anyway things that have happened/been done:

• Demoed the game at a local dev pub meet and took a bajillion notes, great feedback and cool to see people playing and exploring - big thanks to the MCR game dev guys for giving it a whirl Beer!
  • As demoing the game would suggest, it's actually playable now:
    • Added intro phase
    • Added death + resurrection
    • Fixed a lot of bugs
  • Today I re-wrote the entire OpenAL based audio system since it came to my attention that sources are limited (/facepalm) so now sources get generated on the fly on an 'as needed' basis then freed again.
  • POLISHING EVERYTHING - so much fun, adding little details here and there
  • Made a bunch of sound effects and added them in game to dynamic situations, ie physics based water droplets make sounds as they bounce of the floor
    • Footsteps and droplets etc make different noises based on the materials they collide with (was really happy with how this all turned out)

I still need to get a few sounds in before IGF submission, and potentially add a few more secrets + continue polishing. Also considering putting an 'end' in there, since there isn't one as it's free roaming exploration - not a level with a goal.

Anyway, stuff is on track and I've gained confidence in my ability to do actual work. A lot of the stuff I lined up for these past two weeks was the stuff I wasn't looking forward to coding, but got them done, and had fun doing so. One of my fears about going full time indie was that I'd be lazy and not do the work or something, but now I don't have that fear any more. I'll post less text + more pictures tomorrow.

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: October 05, 2012, 02:33:55 PM »

nice work, mark. looking forward to a demo of some sorts.

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
Dr. Cooldude
« Reply #203 on: October 05, 2012, 06:49:44 PM »

This is beautiful.
Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: October 05, 2012, 11:04:44 PM »

Hey Claw, it's so nice you've been able to progress the game this much, it really shows.

I was a bit worried about you really feeling the stress cause of the IGF submission, but man, you're definitely looking like you're doing great. Chroma looks fantastic Wink

Can't wait to know and see more!

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: October 06, 2012, 02:41:06 AM »

Thanks Smiley

Getting it ready for submission has been (still is) challenging and rewarding, but I handle pressure okay so I haven't been stressed, just feeling torn about a few things but all is well - although the fact I have to return to the dayjob on monday does stress me out a bit Tongue

There's been a lot to do, some of it nasty codey stuff, but it's all totally worth it and the overall ride so far has been just plain fun, I just love game development - especially this game Grin

Here's some #screenshotsaturday images

Chris Polus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: October 06, 2012, 07:22:47 AM »

That concept with the shadow looks great! I loved Braid and how it played with time, a shadow-self and other concepts to solve puzzles. It wasn't too much jump & run action but more of the thoughtful platform puzzler, which yours looks like too. Absolutely love the concept, Claw! All the best, keep at it!

http://stillalive.games
Drone Swarm, Rescue HQ, Bus Simulator, Son of Nor
Coopaloops
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: October 09, 2012, 12:47:08 PM »

Oh my gosh, this game looks AMAZING. I was watching one of the gameplay videos you posted and saw the light-shadow switch effect for the first time - I was like..."well that's really neat looking, but I have no idea what he's doing." So I was scratching my head for a minute, and then it finally dawned on me that you were using the character's shadow body to walk on shadows cast by the light body.

Mind. Blown.

Super excited about Chroma and am anxious to see more!

Congraturation this story is happy end. Thank you.

Sword Legends
picobots
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 11, 2012, 10:26:00 AM »

This is so cool. Beautiful! Would you be willing to explain a little more about how you hand draw these normal maps? I saw you posted this image:

And I'm still trying to wrap my brain around that. That's amazing.

What system are you using for figuring out which color to use where in the normal map? How many different normal map colors are you using? And how do you achieve different lighting intensities at different distances to the camera? (e.g., a foreground block is "more lit" than a wall in the background)
Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: October 11, 2012, 10:39:43 AM »

This is so cool. Beautiful! Would you be willing to explain a little more about how you hand draw these normal maps? I saw you posted this image:

And I'm still trying to wrap my brain around that. That's amazing.

What system are you using for figuring out which color to use where in the normal map? How many different normal map colors are you using? And how do you achieve different lighting intensities at different distances to the camera? (e.g., a foreground block is "more lit" than a wall in the background)

Basically a normal map is an image of which the data stored within (the pixel colors) are used by the lighting engine in order to do its magic.

You might be interested in reading this this and this

Because, in a normal map, you basically need to store a value which represents the normal vector's orientation for each pixel, and because you want to store the each component of the normal vector's angle in a different color channel, each pixel's color ends up visually showing what's the general orientation of the vector vs the image's plane.

This is of course dependent on the chosen implementation. Also, I know nothing about how Claw rolls out his stuff, so I'll leave the specifics to him.

Hope this helps!

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: October 11, 2012, 11:53:31 AM »

That pretty much covers how the normal maps work, RGBA color + normal vectors pumped into a shader which takes the light position and calculates intensity of a pixel based on distance from the light + angle the normal vector faces.

As for actually drawing the maps, I have a palette of normalised colors that I use. When you do it for a while, you get used to it. It's basically like shading in pixel art, with the twist of doing it from all angles. I have a bit of a trick to it but I'll reveal more when the game is closer to completion/is completed and I can talk in more detail about some of the technical aspects of the game Smiley

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: October 11, 2012, 12:12:18 PM »

As for actually drawing the maps, I have a palette of normalised colors that I use. When you do it for a while, you get used to it. It's basically like shading in pixel art, with the twist of doing it from all angles. I have a bit of a trick to it but I'll reveal more when the game is closer to completion/is completed and I can talk in more detail about some of the technical aspects of the game Smiley

Aw man. I cannot wait for moar  Tiger

Nu-Type
Level 1

Pathfinder

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 11, 2012, 05:26:06 PM »

Aw man. I cannot wait for moar  Tiger

+2!
Caran Elmoth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: October 12, 2012, 07:39:48 AM »

So, I leave these forums for a while and when I come back I find... this!  Hand Clap Shocked
Awesome concept and aesthetics: I'm really looking forward to something playable.

Good luck for IGF!

Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 12, 2012, 12:28:36 PM »

Ow man! This game is looking so neat! It looks so solid! It looks so cool! Hand Shake Left Kiss Hand Shake Right
Pretty interesting gameplay mechanics.
I hope everything goes well for you on IGF. Good luck man!

Sad minecraft didnt copyright squares
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: October 12, 2012, 12:59:28 PM »

Thanks for all the kind words guys, it's really motivating to see people interested Beer!

I'm going to be submitting to the IGF this Sunday, making sure I don't miss the deadline in some obscure way. Excited, terrified and all those other cool things. Just hoping that people/press are interested in it if they stumble across it in the lists! And of course fingers crossed for the judges liking it too Grin Nervous, don't know what to expect from it, but excited, can't wait for some people to see it.

I'll post some good ol' screenshot saturday pics tomorrow, and either saturday or sunday I'll put up a new vid. Mostly to show off some of the polish, a bit more of the game to tease with, and more of the first area which is pretty green. Green green green. Comparing the current version to old pics, makes the older ones seem a bit bare, added more decay and such recently and it's a nice improvement. Also lots of sound effects, mainly material based footstep stuff which I have a nerdboner over.

Today I threw together some splashy stuff when you walk through water + noise and it turned out okay! There will be some of this in the video to check out, would appreciate some feedback on it but I'll ask again when I post it.

Actually here's one of the shots for screenshot saturday, more of the same sort of stuff but thought it was pretty cool:

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: October 12, 2012, 02:43:22 PM »

It's cool indeed. Im'  Kiss this game more and more with each screenshot

Dr. Cooldude
« Reply #217 on: October 12, 2012, 03:20:16 PM »

It's cool indeed. Im'  Kiss this game more and more with each screenshot
Same here Smiley
melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: October 12, 2012, 10:07:12 PM »

MARK YOUR GAME IS GOOD KEEP UP WORK I WANT TO BEA TEST.

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: October 12, 2012, 10:51:02 PM »

I would also like to be a test.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic