Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:24:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe game formerly known as Chroma
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: The game formerly known as Chroma  (Read 61920 times)
Tom Cashman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: October 15, 2012, 12:22:29 PM »

Congrats and good luck! Smiley Wish I had the guts to do the same! Tongue

Swaggermuffin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 15, 2012, 04:35:48 PM »

I have some news, pretty big news for me personally and for this game.

I have quit my day job.

It's a giant risk for me and I'm terrified in all sorts of ways, but excited about the next chapter of my life unfolding - an adventure I need to take. I've been considering it for a long time and after doing some calculations it seems like now is an optimal time to go for it.

I have a 3 month notice period so starting in the new year I'll be a full time indie developer WTF

I am now monitoring this thread. This is exactly what I want to do in my lifetime. You've got a lot of guts to be able to take a leap like that. Best of luck.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: October 15, 2012, 05:02:57 PM »

Good luck with everything. I'm sure Chroma will get you all the attention you need and deserve  Beer!

zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: October 15, 2012, 05:47:27 PM »

Congrats on making such a big decision. Now you have nothing to lose and everything to gain, so go for it!  Toast Left

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: October 16, 2012, 12:28:26 AM »

I really appreciate the support guys, thanks <3

Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 16, 2012, 02:40:42 PM »

I have some news, pretty big news for me personally and for this game.

I have quit my day job.

It's a giant risk for me and I'm terrified in all sorts of ways, but excited about the next chapter of my life unfolding - an adventure I need to take. I've been considering it for a long time and after doing some calculations it seems like now is an optimal time to go for it.

I have a 3 month notice period so starting in the new year I'll be a full time indie developer WTF

Well, if I were in your skin, sure I wouldn't have the guts you have. Congrats and good luck!

Sad minecraft didnt copyright squares
Chris Polus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: October 17, 2012, 07:38:19 AM »

Hey Claw!

Ouff, ALL THE BEST buddy! Everybody is different but I at least know what you're going through as I did exactly the same 1.5 years ago. I just had enough, I wanted to do something completely different. It seemed like the right time to do it. I quit a very well paid job to try and make things I love. It was either that, taking the risk, or at some point in several years utterly cry for not having had the guts to try it.  No No NO

Beer!

It was very liberating. But also very frightening. Suddenly you have all that time and before you know it your day is filled with crap. So let me wish you a lot of discipline. I'm sure it will work out well. I'm still not break-even. I think this needs some time in my special case. There are high times I love and there are deep valleys of tears (haha) where I constantly ask myself what I'm doing here, it's stupid! But I keep at it and I think that's the most important thing. Really believing in that dream, pursueing it!

So, all the best again! With your game you're already at something very special and I'm sure it will work out! Good luck!

http://stillalive.games
Drone Swarm, Rescue HQ, Bus Simulator, Son of Nor
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: October 17, 2012, 08:03:28 AM »

Thanks Chris! Sounds like our situations are similar, just seems like it's time to give it my best shot.

One of the things I'm worried about is what you mentioned - discipline, making sure my day doesn't fill up with procrastination. I think I will be okay, when I get into the flow of things I usually keep going until it would be a good time to stop. I'm gonna be employing a 9-5 type of regime probably, to make sure I get the bases covered, although I'll probably put a few more hours in a lot of the time because it's fun Smiley

26PM
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: October 17, 2012, 08:27:21 AM »

Wow, just found this thread. Can't wait to play this!!

“If you look for beauty, you will find it.”
tacograveyard
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: October 17, 2012, 08:51:51 AM »

I'm gonna be employing a 9-5 type of regime probably, to make sure I get the bases covered, although I'll probably put a few more hours in a lot of the time because it's fun Smiley

I've taken the same plunge recently and it is exciting and terrifying at the same time. I do a small amount of consulting on the side and have a few projects that bring in some income, but I am hoping to make something off the current project or it will be back to working for the man.

Keeping a schedule has been invaluable for getting work done. I often end up working extra hours, but I don't work less than the 9-5. The other positive side effect of keeping a schedule is that I haven't drifted into "up all night, asleep all day" mode which would lead to little human contact. Make sure you continue to exercise, see other humans, etc I find it easy to forget about all of that without the schedule.

Best of luck!

Chris Polus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: October 17, 2012, 09:17:30 AM »

Keeping a schedule has been invaluable for getting work done. I often end up working extra hours, but I don't work less than the 9-5. The other positive side effect of keeping a schedule is that I haven't drifted into "up all night, asleep all day" mode which would lead to little human contact. Make sure you continue to exercise, see other humans, etc I find it easy to forget about all of that without the schedule.

Great tip. I just find it easy if some things don't work out well or I'm at a very annoying problem to do other stuff. Laundry, vacuuming, shopping Smiley So the fun times are not the problem, when I'm in a flow I sit in front of my computer from morning to night and only get up to quickly eat a bit 10 minutes. But if you're frustrated that's the hard part :-S Anyways, Chroma looks like so much fun, I hope it never happens.

And as for my day/night cycle, my wife works and so for me it's been good to just keep her rhythm. Get up when she does and force myself into bed when she goes so I don't stay up too long. If I worked in the night I wouldn't see her at all, so this keeps me going.

http://stillalive.games
Drone Swarm, Rescue HQ, Bus Simulator, Son of Nor
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: October 20, 2012, 01:25:52 PM »

Hey, I just wanted to drop by to say I like your lighting. I've always wanted to do something low fidelity with directional lighting.

Your normals are hand painted, I take it?

RE: development schedule, I try to keep regular hours too. I sometimes end up doing game development on weekends or evenings too, but I try to let those be times to get out and do other things.
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: October 20, 2012, 01:39:34 PM »

Yeah they're all hand drawn - it's actually a pretty fun process.

Thanks for all the scheduling advice, gonna do the 9-5 thing and keep it flexible. I'll probably end up working more than that a lot of the time. Hopefully I'll be able to get other parts of my life in balance too, should really do some exercise and things like that, currently don't really have the time.

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 20, 2012, 02:11:54 PM »

I have quit my day job.

You kiddin'?! GO BACK THERE AND BEG THEM TO TAKE YOU BACK.

lol.

Kidding.

Good luck.  Evil

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: October 23, 2012, 03:00:22 PM »

IGF entrants online - cooooooool, looks like it will be tough this year, doubt I'll get anywhere with the main competition but hopefully some decent exposure from just being up there  Beer! Exciting stuff.

Small milestone today:

Chroma on a Mac! Wasn't even too hard to get going after Xcode and I settled our differences Grin

When you get past the setup bullshit it's not bad at all... might use OSX+Xcode for main development for now, kinda in love with the macbook air.

Also, I'm gonna be checking out gamecity tomorrow in Nottingham, which should be fun.

devMidgard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: October 23, 2012, 03:25:23 PM »

IGF entrants online - cooooooool, looks like it will be tough this year, doubt I'll get anywhere with the main competition but hopefully some decent exposure from just being up there  Beer! Exciting stuff.

Small milestone today:

Chroma on a Mac! Wasn't even too hard to get going after Xcode and I settled our differences Grin

When you get past the setup bullshit it's not bad at all... might use OSX+Xcode for main development for now, kinda in love with the macbook air.

Also, I'm gonna be checking out gamecity tomorrow in Nottingham, which should be fun.

I love how is the game looking!
MapiMopi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 11, 2012, 11:56:09 PM »

3 weeks without any news...

Claw, are you okay?
I hope you don't procrastinating. I know how it feels when you quit job with thinking that now you will work on your game the amount of time you want, but then don't work at all.

Hope you are not like me, Claw.

Dr. Cooldude
« Reply #257 on: November 12, 2012, 12:26:31 AM »

3 weeks without any news...

Claw, are you okay?
I hope you don't procrastinating. I know how it feels when you quit job with thinking that now you will work on your game the amount of time you want, but then don't work at all.

Hope you are not like me, Claw.
Ugh, I hate procrastination. But don't worry, I believe that Claw is working on the game. Wink
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: November 12, 2012, 12:58:22 AM »

I'm still working on it, I'm just getting to a point where I can't post much of the stuff I'm doing because it will be a lot better for people to discover as they play. Also not had much visual/art stuff to post and ask for feedback on, haven't entirely settled on how I want some stuff to look just yet.

Also I have quit my job but I have a 3 month grace period so won't be fully indie until the new year Wink

amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: November 12, 2012, 01:16:47 AM »

Hope everything will be ok with dev and I hope it gets to IGF finalist as I think this game is very amazing and cool Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic