Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411499 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 09:43:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe game formerly known as Chroma
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: The game formerly known as Chroma  (Read 61923 times)
Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 12, 2012, 04:59:51 AM »

Hope everything will be ok with dev and I hope it gets to IGF finalist as I think this game is very amazing and cool Smiley

He stole my words...

Sad minecraft didnt copyright squares
Dr. Cooldude
« Reply #261 on: November 12, 2012, 05:27:28 AM »

YOU BETTER WIN THE IGF OR ELSE Mock Anger

heh, just kidding, good luck with the IGF! Wink
amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: November 13, 2012, 01:44:57 AM »

YOU BETTER WIN THE IGF OR ELSE Mock Anger

heh, just kidding, good luck with the IGF! Wink

Hehehehehehehe "OR ELSE" :D

Chris Polus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: November 13, 2012, 02:54:16 AM »

Yay, developed on a Mac Smiley

http://stillalive.games
Drone Swarm, Rescue HQ, Bus Simulator, Son of Nor
Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 13, 2012, 05:25:11 AM »

Would be better if were : "developed on Linux", but still better then windows.

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 13, 2012, 08:24:18 AM »

HATER.

Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 13, 2012, 01:38:36 PM »

HATER.

Yes,thanks, Windows hater here.  Outraged

Swaggermuffin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 13, 2012, 02:54:21 PM »

Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 13, 2012, 03:41:03 PM »

you wasn't referring to Linux, was? you...you...

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 13, 2012, 04:56:57 PM »

glad oyu're alive!

play hydlide 2
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: November 14, 2012, 01:12:43 PM »

glad oyu're alive!
me too!

Something for your eyes:

graphics on the bricks are just random crap I was trying and the BG is a placeholder so feel free to ignore that.

After writing the contents of the above image it then led me onto re-factoring my doors, they worked but were a bit shitty, now everything is a bit more flexible, although still not finished sorting some of the code for it just yet.

amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: November 15, 2012, 12:49:05 AM »

glad oyu're alive!
me too!

Something for your eyes:

graphics on the bricks are just random crap I was trying and the BG is a placeholder so feel free to ignore that.

After writing the contents of the above image it then led me onto re-factoring my doors, they worked but were a bit shitty, now everything is a bit more flexible, although still not finished sorting some of the code for it just yet.

Why everytime you post a screen I feel more amazed and more in loved with the game  Shocked

Drevlin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 15, 2012, 02:47:43 AM »

This is awesome, Claw. I love the light/shadow mechanic and the overall look and feel. I like when the darkness is "broken" by some coloured element in the scene.
Daruman
Level 0

私は犬が大好きだよなぁぁ~

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 15, 2012, 08:54:10 PM »

This is so full of win.

Kilig: noun. It is the sudden feeling of an inexplicable joy one gets when something romantic or idealistic occurs. I don\'t think there\'s an English word or phrase for it. even Butterfly Stomach doesn\'t do justice to \"kilig\".
Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 15, 2012, 10:14:26 PM »

snip

Sweet - eye candy.  That's some nice graphics you've got there. Anyway, this looks pretty interesting. Following.
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: November 16, 2012, 04:07:20 PM »

Something for screenshotsaturday

Sergi
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: November 19, 2012, 10:40:18 AM »

This is really inspiring, really looking forward to playing this!

Sergi
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: November 20, 2012, 01:51:34 AM »

Okay I have some thoughts about the way light interacts with the environment. It's pretty awesome, yet some things don't really make sense when you think about it in a 3D way (which actually doesn't have to be relevant).

In your last screenshot for example (as well as the rest), there's this circle of light around the player, that illuminates the "front side" (the side facing the camera) of the ground you're standing on, and also the walls. That wouldn't really happen in a 3D world. The way shadows project to the background wall looks good though. Of course, this is not necessarily wrong, because it's a 2D game, but you know, just raising a point that might be useful to you if you think it's relevant.

That being said, this is the most exciting game in development in some time, so I'll be keeping an eye on this, not only because of aesthetics and gameplay, but also how the symbolism and story will play into it.

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: November 20, 2012, 03:46:51 AM »

Thanks for the kind words Sergi, and yeah you're totally right. When you think about the shadows and light in the game none of it actually makes sense in the real world, (well not that walking on shadows would ever make sense but you know what I mean Tongue)

The problems arise in translating between shadows using the third dimension and the fact the game is set in an orthographic 2D world. I basically hack my way around all of this using 2 shadow types:

Same plane projection - these are the shadows that are projected from solid tiles in any direction (like in Gish).

Backward projection - Redrawing tiles on the back wall, using 3D projection and handing in depth to move them back.

These together give a neat 3Dish sort of effect and still allow me to handle the physics in a relatively simple manner. There's no convergence between these 2 shadows types though so it's not a real 3D shadow volume type thing at all.

The front side lighting thing is purely because if I didn't light that up it would look pretty dull! I'm throwing reality clean out the window for all of this and going with what feels good/looks good/works Smiley In 3D terms, the light source isn't actually on the player, but on the camera pointing at the player.

Where it gets a little odd is one way platforms, anything that's a one way platform will be projected back and yet you can walk on it, so looks a little odd when you think about it.

Really appreciate the feedback, you're the first to address this issue and it does play on my mind from time to time. Any thoughts on how it could be done better?

Also I'm glad you're interested in symbolism and story as it's the bit I most love Grin

Sergi
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: November 20, 2012, 04:38:34 AM »

I bet you've put waay more thought into it than I have, so I don't think there'd be many alternatives. Of course, the more realistic way would be to only see the background wall, but then it would be too dark and boring. So yeah, it's the best of both worlds, and more eye candy Smiley

I like the "HD" way of doing pixel art, with dynamic lights, shader effects, etc. Have you thought about post-processing after the render? Something like bloom effects and all that AAA stuff? No anti-aliasing, of course...  Big Laff

I was wondering something though. Lately I try to research developers history to get a feel of the kind experience usually needed to make (in my opinion) good and successful games. You said you quit your day job (good luck, I think you'll make it), and I've read around these parts that you've made at least a couple of other games (Telepaint and the iOS Snake). You probably made a lot more. Could you, if it's not too personal and/or off-topic, describe the kind of experience you have? Like, other games you've made, related jobs you've had...  Droop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic