Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 11:19:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe game formerly known as Chroma
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: The game formerly known as Chroma  (Read 61328 times)
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2012, 06:51:04 AM »

Wow. I actually laughed out lout and said, "Oh, wow, that's pretty sick!" when you walked on the shadows. Man, awesome job! What do you think about changing the footstep sound to a little 'ping', like a musical note? Might help to give more of a 'walking light-bulb' sound.

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2012, 07:08:58 AM »

@retrohelix thanks man Smiley

@seagaia I render the scene to a buffer, then send the texture data of that buffer to a shader, which re-draws the scene but offsets fragments between two distances - the inside of the ripple and the outside, then interpolates values between those positions pushing them outwards like a ripple.

The more people that ask questions, the more I realise I am terrible at explaining things Tongue If you're interested in how the shader works have a google for "shockwave shaders" or "ripple shaders", theres a few handy examples out there.

@SolarLune haha thanks dude, I was hoping to get some reactions like that. I like surprises/twists so thought I'd try to share one with other people :D

Footsteps; I'm gonna use different sounds for different materials - haven't got round to coding mechanics for materials yet though, and need to make more sounds too. I wanted to get a moderately realistic feel when walking on other stuff, like metal, rock, wood etc. Atm I think the basic one sounds good for something - but needs a tweak to get a 'rock' feel like I was going for with it, sounds more like a solid wood currently I think.

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2012, 10:55:04 AM »

This is pretty amazing. Since light plays such a big part, will the whole game be indoors?

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2012, 11:00:41 AM »

It looks a lovely as I'd hoped.... Lovely...

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2012, 11:02:33 AM »

My reaction when your shadow split from the player
"Huh? Oh that's cool"
My reaction when you walked up the shadows
 Crazy

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2012, 11:10:27 AM »

My reaction when you walked up the shadows
Crazy

Signed,
me

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2012, 11:45:02 AM »

Thanks guys  Beer!

This is pretty amazing. Since light plays such a big part, will the whole game be indoors?

Yeah, the setting for the entire game will be 99% underground; toying with a sense of isolation and claustrophobia.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2012, 05:53:43 AM »

At first I was like wow, this looks great in motion. Then I was like Wow, love the split and ripple effect and then I was like WOW he just walked up the shadows  Shocked Amazing job

mauz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2012, 06:20:26 AM »

WOW! Stunning and beautiful! great job. Beer!

Zaknafein
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2012, 10:57:44 AM »

Oh wow, very cool. Following!

jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2012, 11:41:24 AM »

Very awesome. I knew there was a reason why I would check this devlog everyday.

paste
Level 6

BARF!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2012, 12:38:40 PM »

I'm liking the look of this. Following now.

amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2012, 01:03:46 PM »

That's really an amazing look and feel and with some quite ambient music will be nice Smiley I like the idea about using the shadow like physics, I don't know but it made the game have a deeper feeling Smiley about the light and dark Smiley

That's really a cool game art and mechanic Smiley

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2012, 05:13:05 PM »

kool dood  Smiley

http://indiegames.com/2012/06/limbo_and_fez_shaked_and_stirr.html

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2012, 05:51:57 PM »

Man what a day.

Went to the Manchester gamedev meetup and my phone started going mental with twitter and youtube stuff. Big thanks to indiegames.com for shining a light (har har) on the project :D

No major updates this evening as I spent the better half of today drinking, worked on some level design and puzzle concepts and have a few new ideas which seem promising (in my head).

orihaus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2012, 11:50:43 PM »

Looks like an interesting mechanic!  Gentleman

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2012, 12:19:38 PM »

@orihaus Gentleman

Spent half of today going over some of the problems with reflection and mirrors in a 2D environment. The maths and logic becomes increasingly complex with more mirrors if they were to realistically reflect light, basically adds more and more light sources. It also causes a headache with the shadow collisions. From a design perspective it would be awkward to go for straight up reflections too.

Taking all that into account I've come up with some ideas I'll need to prototype over the next few days and see how they look + handle, taking some inspiration from how mirrors worked in Zelda: OoT (or at least how I remember them working). Just need to try a bunch of stuff and see what works.

Wrote out several pages in my notebook about areas and mechanics (after filling half of it with reflection mathematics + collision thoughts) along with other stuff.

Thanks to Her Majesty for giving me a day off work, got some more thoughts to process as a result of the extra time  Beer! Back to the grind tomorrow though  Tongue

heysami
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2012, 09:43:43 AM »

Love this piece! gave an afterthought too : http://heysami.blogspot.sg/2012/06/bunpi-chroma.html

waiting for the release
Gray Gambit Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2012, 12:07:27 PM »

Looking very interesting! "walking on shadows" was quite a pleasant surprise!

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2012, 12:14:15 PM »

*Walks by*

"Just another epic game."

*Keeps on walking*

But really, this rocks. I mean, totally. Another OpenGL guru to me.
Great shadows, lighting, gameplay, idea... everything's perfect. You're going to have a hit. (Or atleast a really nice income)
You might want to try and port it to android / ios tablets. Just incase.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 05:33:46 AM by kamac » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic