Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411197 Posts in 69315 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 03:27:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs♜ SilverQuest: Gaiden ♜ Now on Steam ▧
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: ♜ SilverQuest: Gaiden ♜ Now on Steam ▧  (Read 63037 times)
CDLegasse
Level 3

View Profile
« on: May 29, 2012, 12:26:20 PM »

WolfGame presents
An I-Game-Art Development
MiniFlake
Immerse yourself in a retro rpg experience!
Explore and random world with unique quests,
And Hundreds of monsters to slay!
Master the Depths...
Plunder the Loot...
Become a Hero!

miniFlake is a roguelike-like rpg that features amazingly retro 1bit graphics, chiptune music and retro sound effects. The dungeons as well as the overworld map and the names of locations and npc's are generated at random using complex generation algorithms.

What set's miniFlake apart from old school dungeon crawlers? Our devotion to creating something more. More than just some old school game as we are bringing in elements from modern games, like advanced lighting and shadows, and gameplay features like finding and reading books to develop player skills. More than just some dungeon game as you will be able to create your own jobs to earn cash. Rob from the rich and sell back to the rich at inflated prices. Serenade villagers in town for chump change, or even paint your own masterpieces to sell in your own store front. The possibilities are ever growing!

Don't like the artwork? Wish there were more monsters or items in the game? Then do it! All of the content in the game is exposed externally just so you can modify the heck out of it! Create your own weapons, monsters, potions and more. All you need is the ability to edit xml and create transparent png graphics!

Configurable graphics settings make the game play the way that looks best to you! Increase the retro look with customizable crt emulation and switchable color palettes. Don't find a palette that appeals to you? Then make your own damned palette, cuz you can do that too!

MiniFlake is slated for release on Steam, PSVita, PS4, Xbox One and more!

Keep up to date at our IndieDB page!
miniFlake @ IndieDB
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 11:54:38 AM by Indecom » Logged
Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 12:31:21 PM »

Looks interesting! Curious - why 1 bpp instead of, say, 2?

however the hard drive on my laptop was urinated on by my roommates cat
Ahahaha. This is so going to be the new "dog ate my homework" in the next couple years (true as it might have been).

CDLegasse
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 12:40:07 PM »

I chose 1bpp because it provided me a stiffer challenge when creating atmosphere. I like a good challenge when it comes to pixel art. Knowing where to put a black or white pixel can make or break the illusion.

Here's a test i was working on to make the game look like it's being played on an old tube tv screen:

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 02:50:18 PM by Indecom » Logged
IndieGamesDig
Level 0

asdfjkl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 01:17:31 PM »

Heh, "amazingly retro" does seem to be a good way to describe the graphics. Looking forward to seeing more  Beer!
CDLegasse
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 07:00:10 PM »

Lol thanks for the kind words. Progress is moving along as well as can be expected when using someone elses computer to do the programming. However i've already done all of the programming before so it's just like riding a bike again. I'll post some updated screenshots in the near future to show how the design has changed a little.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 07:27:56 PM »

i like this Smiley

CDLegasse
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 07:34:32 PM »

Thanks Smiley I've reprogrammed the main menu, was super quick rehashing what i did with it before, now i'm onto the character generation screen, about 10% of that screen is programmed. The only issue i really see is my aspect ratio isnt 16:9 like ios and android devices, but that's fairly easy to remedy, just copying pixels and resizing screens.
peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 12:00:34 AM »

The only issue i really see is my aspect ratio isnt 16:9 like ios and android devices, but that's fairly easy to remedy, just copying pixels and resizing screens.
iPad is 4/3 if I remember well. iPhone is 2/3.
Looks good anyway ! Following !

CDLegasse
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 01:39:22 PM »

Thanks guys, here's a peek at the character screen as of now, the graphics are updated slightly. You can compare to the first screen i posted to see how different it is. This screenshot was taken while the game was being played in my web browser.

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 01:43:18 PM »

I prefer the color in the first version, has a 'gameboy'ish feel to it and the lower contrast is more pleasing to the eye (IMO). The second one feels a lot harsher.

It's impressive what you've created with only two colors, looks great; I really love the CRT effect shot too Smiley

CDLegasse
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 01:55:06 PM »

all the graphics for the game are actually created using just black and white colors, then converted in realtime to another more pleasing palette.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 05:49:14 PM »

Like the character select screen. What are all the character types?

CDLegasse
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 06:05:06 PM »

right now they are pretty standard fair; warrior, rogue, archer, monk, wizard, warlock, tinkerer, hunter, paladin and barbarian. Of course i'm open to suggestions if anyone can think of a class that i just need to add lol.
obsidian_golem
Level 0

Computer programmer / Google oracle

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 06:48:17 PM »

right now they are pretty standard fair; warrior, rogue, archer, monk, wizard, warlock, tinkerer, hunter, paladin and barbarian. Of course i'm open to suggestions if anyone can think of a class that i just need to add lol.
Necromancer? I love necromancers. Artist? You could have a unique playstyle for him. Oh and I loved the screenshot of the old tv look. It gave the art a nice contrast.
CDLegasse
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 07:07:29 PM »

I was thinking about necromancer as well honestly. I want to have a vast list of options for everything.
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 11:12:55 AM »

Butcher, smith, puppeteer, actor, apothecary, witchdoctor, miner...
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 11:56:01 AM »

I sent you an email.

CDLegasse
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »

Thanks for the ideas guys, and i sent you a reply email Ouren. I'm taking all suggestions i recieve into account when programming this game so keep them coming guys.

I have the basics set in place for player movement and dungeon rendering, but the current algorithms i've found for generating the dungeons arent working satisfactorily, so i'll be coding my own system identical to the system i had in the original copy of this game before it got wiped clean. So keep an eye on this post for updates on my dungeon generator!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 06:38:10 PM by Indecom » Logged
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 02:35:46 PM »

Get ready for tons and tons of unique graphics for things.

Cool

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 11:10:28 PM »

Ever think of redoing the "tourist" from NetHack?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic