Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 11:19:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe way of the monk.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The way of the monk.  (Read 8007 times)
shao
Level 1

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2012, 12:00:42 PM »

Hello, I am developing a game with influences from zelda 2 and battle of olympus, both of NES, currently no i have a demo but I can teach a demonstration video to see what they think about it, missing some aspects to show how Wario Ware type mini-games, but is essentially a platformer with some exploration and more text.

Framework: GemixStudio.
platform: Pc, MAC, Linux.
Style: Exploration, Platforms.

** My texts and the game have been translated with google translator (my language is spanish, currently I have no personal translator), sorry if I was not clearly understood.
The game currently does not have music, will be added in the future, texts and sounds can be provisional.
Maybe find some graphic elements that remind them of other games.

This is the video.

Screen mockup.

I used 4 colors per tile, it can sometimes be passed that limit.
I try not to use more than 25 colors on a screen.

What do you think?.
Tips for graphics or anything else are welcome.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 01:33:12 PM by shao » Logged

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 12:32:50 PM »

The graphics are awesome, reminded me of SNES version of Price Of Persia, which is never a bad thing.

I watched the video and a couple of things caught my eye (and ear). First of all, the running animation doesn't seem to match the speed at which he runs. It almost looks like running on ice. Secondly, I think the text popup animation is way too slow if this is going to be happening a lot. Also, the animation has too many stages. Open it in one swift animation. Then there's the sound. The message box sound is too loud/high pitched, a simple softer beep or bloop would be better, I think. And I'm not sure whether the letter appearing sound matches the overall theme. It sounds a little too electronic. Since he's a monk and monks do a lot of writing, maybe a sound of pen writing on paper?

The gameplay and graphics, as I said, are really nice. Honestly, I'm blown away by the quality of this thing. Looking forward to this game very much!

Gentleman

shao
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 01:06:06 PM »

True, the sound of writing can not be correct, will be changed, could use the noise using the NES varying its frequency, I think it would fit.

Respect to the speed of writing will be easy to change by altering a pair of variables.

The animation seems to me correct, if you look when you put your feet on the ground and lift it again, matches the speed, maybe some frame is more advanced than it should but in general  no  i see desynchronization.

Thanks for the feedback, I will change these two aspects and review the animation.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 04:35:39 PM »

I second the praise on the graphics, they are really nice. not much else to add, I had the same thoughts as Eigen pretty much.

is this your first game? I'm pretty impressed, if you've done anything before this I'd like to see that. or if this is your first game then good job, it looks really good so far.
IndieGamesDig
Level 0

asdfjkl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 05:35:08 PM »

This looks really cool. Could you provide any more detail about the narrative, gameplay, or features?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 05:44:40 PM by IndieGamesDig » Logged
shao
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 05:54:40 PM »

Hi, not my first game, I have another (unfinished), which is a kind of adventure with fights, based on this movie:

Some captures:

Maybe it resumes in the future.
Thanks for the comments!.
 Wink
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 12:14:14 AM by shao » Logged

shao
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 06:13:37 PM »

This looks really cool. Could you provide any more detail about the narrative, gameplay, or features?

Really the story is not very elaborate, the monk must collect 7 liturgical objects of the abbey, for it has to go through different areas, after leaving the Abbey should go to a shelter that is outside to protect objects, this is due that the locals have warned that thieves walk by.

The game concept is platforms, when you press up you can explore the scene and you can find an item or it can appear suddenly an enemy, there are also some small games, for example, to take one of the keys have to directing the hand toward the pocket of the guy who sleeps and who has the key.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 11:51:49 AM »

I really like the look of this.  Very nice atmosphere and the animation on the monk is very smooth.

shao
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 12:33:29 PM »

The animation of the monk is based on the animated sprite of terminator 2 NES.
only the jump and run, the others if they are created by me..

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 12:36:46 PM »

Nice graphics. Especially monk's animation. Yum.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 02:18:39 PM »

interesting, the color limitation don't really look like a NES, more like MSX2 or an atari ST or sthg.
I must say that the GUI window with the dialogs and descriptions takes way too much time to appear, it's annoying

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 06:37:08 PM »

Following this, looks great. Like the old school vibe and look it has going on.

I must say that the GUI window with the dialogs and descriptions takes way too much time to appear, it's annoying
But do agree with this because it seems to be used so much and so constantly but is such a big element to the game.

shao
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 12:45:48 AM »

That's true, i've changed, i increased the write speed and speed of appearance of the dialog, the dialog box now only appear when talking to an NPC to the other parts appear a smaller box with the narrative.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 08:12:53 PM »

Looking good so far! The still images immediately made me think of an old NES game called Faxanadu, and then seeing the video in action reminded me of a book called Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. Weird combination, but it looks really great and am interested in seeing how it progresses:)

shao
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 01:10:06 PM »

Hey guys, I am working on my program, I implemented the inventory, the selection of objects, information on the status of the items and other details, progress is rather slow but constant.

In this video you can see how the character can interact with some areas of the stage, here are a few chests (chests are as shown in the future will be other items such as furniture or holes) in which no possibility of finding an item percentage chance, there is also the possibility of finding a safe item or there is nothing there. The question (YES or NO) to decide if the player wants to take the risk of looking when you short of energy, so you can avoid being attacked by some bug.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJzFcBqCEQA&feature=youtu.be

**The background graphics and chests are Battle of Olympus and Duck Tales 2 of NES.

When we remove an enemy there is the possibility that an item let health or money, items to stop the enemies recover 1 or 2 hit points, so that more health items that are retrieved by searching the environment.

I have to solve some issues like putting a limit on health items, for example is impossible to carry more than 1 health item of each type. This would avoid health to recharge continuously, I'm thinking about it.

I would also like to note that this is a game aimed at any type of public, I refer to the subject of religion, I'm not Catholic and I have nothing against Catholics, I have only used this religion as might have resorted to Egyptian or Greek.

Also I leave this screenshot, I've applied a filter to look like a picture of an old magazine.
Wink

You imagine playing with that filter?, Is amazing.

Your comments could help me improve it, any suggestions?.

I hope all is understood, if not so do not hesitate to ask!.

Looking good so far! The still images immediately made me think of an old NES game called Faxanadu, and then seeing the video in action reminded me of a book called Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. Weird combination, but it looks really great and am interested in seeing how it progresses:)

Faxanadu is a game that I love! I think her music, colors and graphics make the difference with games in the style of NES had.

impulse9
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 01:24:39 PM »

This looks phenomenal, I wish you best of luck!
shao
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 03:50:39 AM »

Thank you!.

Here are some references that I will use for the houses.

shao
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 04:42:03 PM »

Hey guys, I uploaded a video where you can see some enemies, the lion is an enemy who want larger redo, I do not like it has been in the video is removed from a hit but it's actually harder.
The other enemies if I like and been used in the game.
The music and the blue background is crappy, I did just for the occasion.

Greetings!.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 10:42:21 AM by shao » Logged

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 05:07:34 PM »

Just ran across this, such a great vibe. I also love the realistic proportions no only on the monk character but also on walls and other architectural elements. I think the realistic proportion of things really adds a lot to the excellent feeling of these screenshots.

Going to check the vids later tonight! I'm pretty excited to see how it looks in action =)
MrPaco
Level 0

"What for dinner?"

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 06:00:10 PM »

The graphics are so very well done. The color style really makes things pop like from the original Castlevania. Smiley
It's good you sped up the message system, but I think the beep noise could use to be a little softer, I can imagine that really getting on someone's nerves after the 1.000th time. haha

But great work so far!

I hail from Martin2K. Check it out!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic