Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 01:53:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSWOOOORDS! Colon Lords of the Sword [co-op dungeon-brawler]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: SWOOOORDS! Colon Lords of the Sword [co-op dungeon-brawler]  (Read 26074 times)
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 31, 2012, 06:46:31 PM »

Web Version (Unity Webplayer)

Downloads

SWOOOORDS! Colon Lords of the Sword is a 4-player cooperative dungeon crawling action game made in Unity 3D, similar to games like Gauntlet, Golden Axe, Bastion, or Spiral Knights. It is intended to be played together with friends in the same physical space (“hotseat”), such as on an arcade machine, on a projector at videogame-themed events, or even just on a couch.

I have been working on it for about 5-6 months in my free time, so I suppose it's about time to make a devlog. I am almost finished with the first public version, I hope to release in a month or two. Please don't hold me to that, though, no promises. Gomez

Wizard

Wizard
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 11:25:21 AM by nihilocrat » Logged

CDLegasse
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 07:05:42 PM »

Looks pretty sweet dude, love the pixel textures.
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 07:21:41 PM »

The name is genius, and thankfully the art doesn't seem so lo-fi with an excuse of lack of skill.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 11:37:15 PM »

Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 11:58:37 PM »

I like the old-school polygon look of the characters, but they need more shading (take a peek at Virtua Fighter). Currently they are too flat and I think that defeats the whole purpose of going 3D.

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 01:00:29 AM »

Hand Metal Left No No NO Hand Knife Right

Lizardheim
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 03:09:46 AM »

Gotta låve them swørds.
sonicblastoise
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 08:03:24 PM »

I only have time to follow 2 projects at a time, and thankfully one of them have concluded recently. So I've replaced it with THIS ONE

I WILL BE BUYING AND REVIEWING THIS GAME AS SOON AS IS HUMANLY POSSIBLE
bome99
Level 1

Pipes And Mushrooms

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 06:46:51 AM »

This looks so awesome!! can't wait to play it!!
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 08:48:48 PM »

Added ranged enemies (javelin throwers):

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 11:42:44 PM »

Love this!
Evan.Greenwood
Level 0

Indie Love

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 12:44:29 AM »

This looks super cool!! I want to see more retro 3D games and this is hitting that sweet spot for me.

Also: Great gibbing, looks really satisfying.

Also: Virtua Fighter art is badass.
Axelhein
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 05:56:10 AM »

Looks cool. The graphics are simple in a very beautiful and unique way. Also, is it pronounced "swords" or "SWØØØØRDS!"? (SWØØØØRDS! sounds a lot cooler imo)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 06:14:27 AM »

I like the old-school polygon look of the characters, but they need more shading (take a peek at Virtua Fighter). Currently they are too flat and I think that defeats the whole purpose of going 3D.
Maybe the purpose was simply to avoid having to write a tilemapper and fitting a physics engine in there and animating each sprite separately?

I like the flatness. Reminds me of the really old 3D games
namragog
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 07:19:35 AM »

I really like everything about this  Waaagh!
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 09:44:14 AM »

Looks cool. The graphics are simple in a very beautiful and unique way. Also, is it pronounced "swords" or "SWØØØØRDS!"? (SWØØØØRDS! sounds a lot cooler imo)

If you want to be pedantic it is indeed SWØØØØRDS! but I coloquially just say "swords". Hopefully the name makes it clear what the game is about.

Maybe the purpose was simply to avoid having to write a tilemapper and fitting a physics engine in there and animating each sprite separately?

I like the flatness. Reminds me of the really old 3D games

I use an alternate shaded material on most terrain objects. The visual look has changed a ton since I last tried using shaded materials on the characters so I'll revisit that and see how it looks.

It's made in Unity3D so the physics and such are already handled, there's actually no true tile system, it's just much easier to construct everything and modify it in real-time (such as opening up a side-room connected to an existing main room) using cubes. Any simplicity, abstractness, or lack of polish is indeed due to a question of priorities like you think, though: I am concentrating on getting good combat and decently exciting / ridiculous / gratuitously violent visual effects. The game is designed somewhat as a vehicle for the player to explore and enjoy the combat system, it's quite focused.

I was originally trying to avoid having 3D animated models entirely but I decided to stick with them but make a few time-saving choices: characters have no thighs or upper arms, simplifying all the animations on limbs. They don't actually use skeletons, they are just a bunch of animated shapes. The walk animation is just their feet shuffling back and forth with a bit of movement in their arms. This is my first attempt at 3D animation and I'm totally taking a utilitarian stance on it: just enough effort to make the combat feel good.

amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 12:37:07 PM »

That's look so cool and what make its cool the blood pixel particles and the effects it compensate everything and make the game looks cool and a life Smiley Good Job Smiley

Kit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 06:37:49 PM »

Looks like a ton of fun! I do see the inspiration from Spiral Knights in the icons for attacks and shield, but that game is fantastic and the system works. Actually, yours looks a bit better. The graphics are very appealing and very nostalgic as well. So far, very nice. Too bad there isn't a mention of network multiplayer. I think that would propel the game into the stratosphere. To the point where I'd pay money for it. I think people probably will do that anyways though.

Keep on polishing, it's off to a nice start.

laxwolf
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 06:45:55 PM »

I love the look of this game! Can't wait for more progress.

Solo artist, modeler, designer, and programmer.
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 01:55:26 AM »

And so do I! Keep on coding!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic