Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:55:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSWOOOORDS! Colon Lords of the Sword [co-op dungeon-brawler]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: SWOOOORDS! Colon Lords of the Sword [co-op dungeon-brawler]  (Read 26098 times)
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 05:06:33 AM »

I think that would propel the game into the stratosphere. To the point where I'd pay money for it.

I think I'm going to concentrate on singleplayer / local multiplayer for the first release then see if I can add network multiplayer, perhaps for a commercial release. Thanks for the comments!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 07:06:01 AM »

It's made in Unity3D so the physics and such are already handled, there's actually no true tile system, it's just much easier to construct everything and modify it in real-time (such as opening up a side-room connected to an existing main room) using cubes. Any simplicity, abstractness, or lack of polish is indeed due to a question of priorities like you think, though: I am concentrating on getting good combat and decently exciting / ridiculous / gratuitously violent visual effects. The game is designed somewhat as a vehicle for the player to explore and enjoy the combat system, it's quite focused.
For what it's worth, it looks like it's going to be extremely immersive partially because of that focus.
Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 07:33:24 AM »

This looks great.  It would be interesting to see what the characters look like with shading, but I do really like the flat look you have at the moment.  The key thing is that they read well as the things that they are meant to represent, which they do.

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2012, 05:33:02 PM »

Got some playtesting in at the Mount Royal Game Society meetup tonight!

That's the infamous FrankieSmileShow in the center!

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2012, 09:48:55 PM »

New enemy, along with major AI bugfixes. Only few things left on the list (for now).

There are a few somewhat major features I haven't yet decided on (charge attacks for "light" swords, the red ones), a few AI features I need to implement (giving certain enemies a variety of special attacks) and about 10-20 minor polish items on the list I need to get through. Work is getting busy so the release may need to slip to mid-July, especially if I want more playtesting. Good news is, I see no reason why I can't make that target.

jibowski
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2012, 08:08:07 AM »

YaY! this game looks F-U-N !
good luck, can't wait to play that game!

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2012, 11:26:28 AM »

No real flashy updates to show, just because I've been concentrating on bugfixing and fleshing out features that already exist. I will probably make another video soon, maybe even a fancy trailer-looking one where there's music and quick cuts.

Delicious
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2012, 11:52:24 AM »

Looks great. Smiley

Do the enemies say "RAPE!" as they attack him?

Blah Blah Blah <3
Twitter - Zjdelicious
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2012, 07:56:12 PM »

Uhhhhhh... no. My Word!

laserfire
Level 0

Level 10,000

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2012, 09:40:32 PM »

Looks like fantastically frantic fun for friends!

I will be keeping an eye out! Blink

richy486
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2012, 11:03:06 PM »

looks really slick, cant wait to play it

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2012, 11:40:55 PM »

[meetup image]

Got some playtesting in at the Mount Royal Game Society meetup tonight!

Man, it must be so cool to see your game running on a big screen with so many people around playing it. It was probably pretty productive ... did you get any good feedback/results? I would love to do a test session like that. Even if I let one friend play and watch him, I get so much more insight that I would've otherwise.

flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2012, 04:07:15 PM »

Looks awesome kinda like gauntlet legends but more strategic with the fighting if I remember gauntlet at all.

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2012, 10:01:54 AM »

Man, it must be so cool to see your game running on a big screen with so many people around playing it.

Seeing it for the first time, it's pretty surreal. Sure, it's only like 30 people you already know, but it's an accomplishment.

did you get any good feedback/results? I would love to do a test session like that. Even if I let one friend play and watch him, I get so much more insight that I would've otherwise.

This is actually the main reason I show my games at meetups. In-person feedback is invaluable. It is a zillion times more useful than any online feedback you might get. You actually see things that frustrate players that they might not mention otherwise. You will see tiny little annoyances and flaws in your controls, content, and mechanics that you would never notice yourself. People will point out things and ask questions about stuff that you never really thought about. People will give you bad advice (expected) but will also give you their first reactions and what they think of the game in a sentence or two. People will undermine your entire game for a few moments as they point out some very major flaw, which you will slowly realize is not as catastrophic as you thought (hopefully!). This is invaluable for making an enjoyable game.

I have a question that's been eating away at my mind for a few weeks now. I'm not sure what to do about the release. I've got three scenarios in mind:

* Release for free as-is, with no plans for a commercial sale. Obviously, this is the easiest. However, I am really excited about the idea of...
* Selling the game after some extra polish and addition of more content. The current game would be released as a demo (perhaps with just a few minor limitations to upsell the paid version).
* Release for free as-is, but keep working on a much bigger kind of game (Urverden) with wilderness and towns and NPCs and all sorts of other procedurally generated stuff that will take at least a year or two to complete, with plans to sell that. SWOOOORDS would remain as a "combat prototype" for this much bigger game.

I've done a lot of research on indie game marketing and I feel like I've got to decide now and then do the release based on my future plans. It seems like if I wanted to sell the game, it would be best to release the demo and the paid version simultaneously so that people who like the demo could immediately buy the game. If I took the other options, I would of course just release it soon and trickle out updates like I've already been doing for the bigger commercial project.

I need to get a final playtest pass organized with some local people, stuff has been really busy at work so it's just been hard to get it together. After that playtest, I will undoubtedly run into some extra work needing to be done, and I'll need to fix a few remaining bugs and UI stuff remaining. I bumped up the thread title to 90%!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 10:12:20 AM by nihilocrat » Logged

Alex Norton
Level 0

www.msoa-game.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2012, 07:32:26 PM »

This looks super cool. I'm a big fan of Gauntlet, so this made me jump with excitement! Keep up the awesome work!

Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox
The Infinite RPG
www.msoa-game.com
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2012, 08:40:17 PM »

• Dodge becomes Jump when wielding certain weapons
  • Explosive barrels! You know the drill.
  • Spikes are boring! Whirling blades are awesome!
  • Player 2 is a pretty cool guy who doesn't afraid of anything, even when he's dead.

After a month of silence, I realized I haven't been posting! All sorts of new stuff, but I'm really trying to wrap things up. I'm not going to let myself get through the month of August without a release. Gomez

Hand Metal Left

Hand Metal Right

Something brütäl this way comes!

« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 09:43:25 PM by nihilocrat » Logged

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2012, 08:02:34 AM »

Epic.

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2012, 04:51:58 PM »

The "box art" is finished, thanks to cab

Sent off an email to playtesters. The game will be done by the end of the month, I'm totally serious this time! Gomez

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2012, 12:17:22 PM »

I love highly-detailed handdrawn/painted box art combined with minimalist graphics. So evocative...
Dave_C
Level 0

Retrophile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2012, 04:42:31 PM »

Added ranged enemies (javelin throwers):

hey this looks like my kinda game, what a huge undertaking, hang in there XD

a little off topic but may I ask how you make those animated gif recordings?

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic