Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:20:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSWOOOORDS! Colon Lords of the Sword [co-op dungeon-brawler]
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: SWOOOORDS! Colon Lords of the Sword [co-op dungeon-brawler]  (Read 26187 times)
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2012, 05:00:19 PM »

sweet, can't wait for the release!

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2012, 07:20:57 PM »

I'm pushing the release date a week back to September 7th thanks to some personal issues. The release was pretty arbitrary anyways, just some date to get me to stop reworking or polishing and release the damn thing.

I make the gifs with Fraps and VirtualDub. Here are the steps I take:

* Record in Fraps, no surprises there.
* Open the .avi in VirtualDub and move the playhead to the location where you want to start the GIF sequence.
* Click the black left-facing arrow at the far right end of the play/pause/etc. buttons
* Move the playhead to where you want the sequence to end and click the right-facing arrow.
* Go to Video->Frame Rate, set it to skip every other frame (to cut down on size)
* Go to Video->Filters->Add.. and pick "null transform".
* Click "Cropping"
* Set the X1, X2, Y1, and Y2 parameters to your liking. Drag the playhead across the entire clip you selected to make sure everything gets in the shot.
* Make sure "Video" is set to "Direct stream copy" to ensure the GIF is a pixel-perfect copy of the clip.
* File->Export->Animated GIF

Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2012, 11:08:28 PM »

I saw that you submitted the game on Greenlight. Great! Wink

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2012, 05:55:58 PM »

Working on the main menu, and playing around with a more google-able name (consecutive vowels pose a problem), which logo do people prefer?

« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 08:23:17 PM by nihilocrat » Logged

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2012, 09:12:13 PM »

COLON ANNIHILATION is still my favorite subtitle.

Dinsfire
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »

This one is definitely the most logical to me, and the logo is much cleaner than most of the others. And, as a minimalist myself, I prefer the menu coming straight-up. Game menus that introduce themselves with "press start" or in this case "press spacebar if you dare" is fairly redundant and just puts one more unnecessary sub-menu between you and the game. I see the nostalgia in it, but like I said, I'm a minimalist.

Actually, I think the logo/subtext on the on the last image, combined with the immediate menu of the quoted image would be a perfect choice for me, personally. But that's just my taste.

A more legible font might be worth considering, too.

Check out my music while you're at it! click!
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2012, 10:41:04 PM »

COLON ANNIHILATION is still my favorite subtitle.
Listen to this man. This man knowsw what he's talking about. Unless you're going Minecraft and randomise the subtitles every time you open the menu.
Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2012, 03:36:32 AM »

I can understand changing the name from a googling perspective, but SWØØØØRDS! was a much better and more memorable name in my opinion.  I don't think that it not really being pronouncable is that important - it didn't seem to hurt VVVVVV.

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
jamiebell
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2012, 03:40:13 AM »

As a sound designer, "Sounds from freesound.org" makes me so sad! Sad
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2012, 04:22:31 AM »

I can understand changing the name from a googling perspective, but SWØØØØRDS! was a much better and more memorable name in my opinion.  I don't think that it not really being pronouncable is that important - it didn't seem to hurt VVVVVV.

You could have the official name just be "SWORDS:whatever" but still have "SWØØØØRDS" in the title screen of the game? Maybe that defeats the purpose, I don't know.

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2012, 10:46:33 AM »

SWOOOORDS! Colon Lords of the Sword is hereby released!

Gameplay Video:

Web Version (Unity Webplayer): http://www.kongregate.com/games/nihilocrat/swoooords-colon-lords-of-the-sword

Downloads: http://www.indiedb.com/games/swoooords/downloads/

It's taken me about 10 months, 8 of them actually working on the game in my spare time. I desperately hope I was successful in making a challenging, fair, and varied combat system that makes for an exciting and unique brawler.

SWOOOORDS! is basically the combat prototype for a much larger action RPG I'm calling Urverden. It will be an attempt at combining the brawler and roguelike genres to provide a unique experience, somewhere in between Dark Souls and Dwarf Fortress' Adventure Mode.

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2012, 11:33:28 AM »

"Not googlable" you say.
"I laugh" I say.
https://www.google.com/search?q=SWOOOORDS!

Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2012, 01:18:30 PM »

Nice!  The first time I tried the online version it wasn't registering mouse clicks but when I reloaded the page it worked fine - I guess it had keyboard focus but not mouse focus for some reason.

Also: the indieDB download link seems to not lead to a valid page.

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2012, 08:59:31 PM »

Weird to hear about the keyboard issues. I updated the first post with mediafire links, because IndieDB has not yet approved my download links Sad

"Not googlable" you say.
"I laugh" I say.
https://www.google.com/search?q=SWOOOORDS!

During development people kept forgetting the right number of "O"s to use, which ended up in differing results. After lots of fooling around I decided to keep the name and just add a subtitle.

richy486
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2012, 07:45:43 PM »

Could the sword in the title poke through the Os? might look rad

verticalvertex
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2012, 05:59:57 AM »

Could the sword in the title poke through the Os? might look rad

Sound like a great idea. Spice it up a little.

It's all good.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2012, 08:34:04 PM »

SWOOOORDS! 1.2 is forthcoming. Expect it….. soon?

Changelog:

- Linux build, thanks to Unity 4.0
- Localized versions: French, German, Russian
- Fonts are now a bit easier to read
- Switched to a perspective camera
- Life meters are now directly under players
- Falling off a ledge will no longer kill you, it will damage you then teleport you back to the last safe location.
- Depths 5 and beyond now have “elite” versions of all enemies
- Depths 5 and beyond have a few new super-rare swords. They are a bit harder to learn to use properly.
- Fixed: Enemies would not be hurt by traps if they were standing still directly on them
- Fixed: Level-specific music wasn’t being played
- Fixed: Barrels, chests, and debris were being spawned midair: it was a bit hard to notice

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2013, 08:09:40 PM »

Is there a way to turn on Vsync?  I didn't see one, and the game makes my graphics card heat up like crazy despite the simple graphics, suggesting that it's running with an uncapped framerate.

Edit: I loaded up Fraps and sure enough it's running at ~950 FPS.  Come on man, add Vsync option.

Anyway, I recorded some footage of the AI/enemy animations getting kind of buggy.

As far as the gameplay goes, I didn't like how it's possible to shield yourself for basically limitless amount of time.  I think every time you get hit while shielded, it should raise a meter, which gradually decreases, but if it gets too high your guard is broken and the enemy can attack you.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 08:42:21 PM by Udderdude » Logged
bleezy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2014, 09:13:08 AM »

nihilocrat, I really love your simple easy-to-animate character models.  I also have no experience doing 3d animation or modeling, so I would love to know what tools you used to build and animate your little swoooordfighters that would be good for a beginner.  Thanks!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic