Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 07:14:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 533581 times)
Dragonmaw
« Reply #1000 on: November 13, 2012, 10:14:58 AM »

I chomped through each level all the way through, of course. I meant in the sense that each level felt like "look here, this is a videogame level." The areas in Dark Souls, even if they could technically be levels, feel differently. Maybe it's the way they interact, maybe it's the placement of bonfires in strategic places, whatever. It feels more like a world and less like a collection of mostly-unrelated levels.

Also I think it's funny that Dark Souls reuses pretty much all the level concepts of Demon's Souls. Blighttown is essentially World 5, for example.
IzzyReggie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: November 13, 2012, 10:15:22 AM »

Yeah, I know what the gameplay purpose of killing Moonlight Butterfly is. But that's what I'm talking about. "I killed it because it has uber loot" hardly constitutes a good story with a sense of purpose.
You kill the Moonlight Butterfly because you were exploring Darkroot Garden when suddenly a huge butterfly started shooting Lvl 4. Magic Missiles at you.

Moral quandary: do I slay this noble creature, whose environment I have intruded upon y/n gain 400 Dark Souls

Twitter: @fistpuncher (no relation to the game)
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: November 13, 2012, 10:20:34 AM »

My kid brother managed to get to Quelag from the back entrance of Blighttown, I am so proud.

Also angry because I couldn't manage it.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: November 13, 2012, 10:23:18 AM »

It feels more like a world and less like a collection of mostly-unrelated levels.
collection of 5 interconnected worlds more like. do agree that dark souls feels less "gamey" (hate that word but w/e) though.

btw it's funny how the geography of lordran is completely surreal but feels very "natural" when you're playing the game.

My kid brother managed to get to Quelag from the back entrance of Blighttown, I am so proud.

Also angry because I couldn't manage it.
isn't the "back entrance" the easier route?? ? ?? ? ?
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1004 on: November 13, 2012, 10:29:46 AM »

what? it didn't take me 200hrs to love the game. i loved it from the start. all i said was it took me a second playthrough to get a grasp on the world and story, and that ive spent so much time with both souls games that i feel confident in comparing them.
That "200hrs" was supposed to be a randomly exaggerated number, not a direct jab at you, sorry. I still don't like the "it gets better later" argument.

It's simple, but the game still managed to create memorable moments like the Tower of Latria or the Maiden Astrea battle. Haven't seen anything like that in DkS yet
quelaag, priscilla, anor londo, duke's archives, lost izalith.
Cool, looking forward to them.

what's the reason for killing miralda in demsouls?
Miralda was essentially a secret. Butterfly was a boss of a relatively large level in the game.

also highly doubt they went "open world" with the game because it's "trendy" or whatever. it's not like they're trying to be gta. the world is set up like a metroidvania and is a throwback to the king's field games more than anything.
Tbh, I don't think they made it to be "trendy" either. Still, it detracts from the game imho. Or at least isn't done as well as it could be. I wouldn't mind if they used the inter-connected structure but left the Archstones, especially after defeating bosses. Would reduce a lot of the boring backtracking.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
nekokoneko
« Reply #1005 on: November 13, 2012, 10:36:02 AM »

If backtracking is that big of an issue then use a Homeward bone?
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: November 13, 2012, 10:41:10 AM »

The game probably does a ton of a hell better job with shortcuts and cohesiveness than actual metroidvanias imo.

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
IzzyReggie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: November 13, 2012, 10:45:20 AM »

I wouldn't mind if they used the inter-connected structure but left the Archstones, especially after defeating bosses. Would reduce a lot of the boring backtracking.
SPOILERS Eventually you get the ability to poof around from important bonfire to important bonfire which I THINK is the same thing (although having not played Demon's Souls I'm not positive)

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1008 on: November 13, 2012, 11:01:54 AM »

My roomie picked this up on the recent Steam sale and I decided to start a new game to play alongside him. He originally tried a sorcerer but got bored with it and now switched to a warrior. I did the warrior my first time around and this time I chose wanderer, going for a dexterity build that will later incorporate intelligence (once magic becomes available for purchase)... I kinda want to create a "red mage" character this time around instead of being a pure melee fighter. I am a little tempted to start over as a cleric though, seems like miracles might be very useful and available early on.

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1009 on: November 13, 2012, 11:11:19 AM »

If backtracking is that big of an issue then use a Homeward bone?
It gets you back to the last Bonfire, not the Firelink Shrine.

Also, just managed to kill those two Giant Skeletons on the route to Giant Tomb. My strategy was sheer luck and mashing heavy attack! Managed to drop one from the ledge, and they become easy once they are alone.

Tom Grochowiak
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1010 on: November 13, 2012, 11:40:08 AM »

I have to agree with CA that the world feels very real in some sense. Personally I feel a much more sense of progress in DkS than in DS. DS feels more artificial to me with the archstones and nexus while in DkS I get reward of exploring just by how the environment changes as I go. IMO DS had levels, DkS has a world. I also don't mind backtracking since in most cases the distances aren't that great.

Also TeeGee, this might be a spoiler, but if you don't have Lord Vessel, do yourself a favor and get out of the Tomb of Giants and go to the two bells and Anor Londo Wink

I just defeated Gwyn. Had to do it melee, since my magic would have killed him in few seconds. More fun to fight with melee against him. Now I don't know what to play, having this empty feeling Cry

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: November 13, 2012, 11:54:50 AM »

NG+

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1012 on: November 13, 2012, 11:56:33 AM »

Yeah, I think I'll get out of the Tomb for now. I probably should upgrade my weapon a bit more if I don't want to have a frustrating time in here. I'm unable to finish one skeleton with a full 2-handed combo, which makes a big difference when there are many of them at once.

Will probably go to the Blightown as suggested.

And don't worry about the spoilers. I pretty much memorized the whole wiki by this point Wink.

Tom Grochowiak
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1013 on: November 13, 2012, 12:11:42 PM »

I suggest you explore the Tombs as a last or second last area in game. Otherwise it will probably be rather frustrating.

@Belimoth
Hehe, probably not. I have played DkS enough for now with over 100 hours spent on it and I think I should look into other games. Lets see how long my determination lasts... Should probably try to make some design analysis from DkS to see what excites me in it so much.

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: November 13, 2012, 12:15:17 PM »

isn't the "back entrance" the easier route?? ? ?? ? ?

Probably but I always killed myself trying to get down. I remember getting as far as the wheel.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1015 on: November 13, 2012, 12:38:36 PM »

Demon's Souls gave me a clear purpose right away. I'm a guy who tries to free Boletaria by killing demons. Each completed level and killed boss gets me closer to that goal and learning its secret second meaning.

You're a guy "destined" to escape the Undead Asylum, who's trying to free Lordran from the Age of Fire by overthrowing ancient hero Gwynn, the lord of sunlight, and his twisted companions; Seeth the Scaleless, Quelaag the Chaos Witch, Gravelord Nito, and the Four Kings of the Great Abyss (presumably, those of Lordran, Anor Londo, New Londo, and Oolacile).

Shrug
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 12:47:53 PM by baconman » Logged

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: November 13, 2012, 12:55:57 PM »

Worst synopsis ever.

Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1017 on: November 13, 2012, 01:47:53 PM »

I dunno, opinions may differ on this but i absolutely LOVE that dark souls isn't straightforward about it's story...it's there of course but you have to piece together what's going on yourself by talking to others and looking at the surroundings as you make your way through....a lot of the characters have fascinating stories of their own too.  Gives the world a bit of mystery and lets you as the player unravel it bit by bit...often learning new things about prior events you did as well that completely change your thoughts on what you did.

-Fuzzy Spider
IzzyReggie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: November 13, 2012, 02:43:32 PM »

Four Kings of the Great Abyss
Four Kings of New Londo. They're all of New Londo.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: November 13, 2012, 03:11:35 PM »

also im pretty sure the "king" of anor londo would be gwynn (and now gwyndolin, kinda-sorta) lol
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 355
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic