Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411280 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:21:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 526709 times)
AshfordPride
« Reply #1040 on: November 17, 2012, 07:47:28 PM »

And that's what they call "circumventing expectations." Smiley

I so wish I could just be watching you play sometimes. I wouldn't change a thing, either.

I failed 2King4Me six times.  That's about the end of that story.

ACTUALLY, I will indite myself further.  I haven't used any magic or spells all game because I didn't know how because I've looked up nothing about this game beyond fleeting word of mouth.  So I just kept buying them and raising my faith and being fucking stupid.  There's a lot of NPC blood on my hand that could have been easily prevented, lemme tell ya.  Lot of titanite tossed out the fucking window trying to figure out how crafting works. 

Actually, laurentius gets pissed if you say yes, because he's asking if you find pyromancy offensive.

Oh yeah, but there's no consequence to it.  I'm offended by fire.  I'm Frankenstein.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 07:54:38 PM by Samtagonist » Logged
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1041 on: November 17, 2012, 10:06:31 PM »

If you want to use magic...

1. Go to a bonfire and "attune" your spells. You'll probably want to make them all the same type of spell (Sorcery, Pyro, or Miracle), but it's totally up to you. Upgrading your "Attunement" stat gives you more slots for equipping them, btw.

2. Equip a catalyst in your weapons section of your inventory. Yes, spellcasting catalysts are essentially just weapons, that you wield like every other kind of weaponry in the game.

3. Cast "triple facepalm" and laugh at yourself. Heck, you can get a Sorcerer's Catalyst from the blacksmith at the start of New Londo from your very first trip to Firelink Shrine, and hidden below the elevators in Firelink Shrine, there's another Catalyst that lets you cast the Miracles you first learn from Petrus, too.

Then again, I went quite awhile before I even bothered with them, either. So don't be too mean to yourself.

Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1042 on: November 17, 2012, 10:25:26 PM »

how are those spoilers? if you push select in your stats menu it'll tell you all of that... plus anyone who sells you spells also sells the catalyst/talismen needed to cast it, with a description on the item that that's what it does.

-Fuzzy Spider
AshfordPride
« Reply #1043 on: November 18, 2012, 06:13:18 AM »

Oh no guys, don't worry, I worked it all out.  I'm just saying there was a long time where I kept collecting them with no real intention of using them, just because.

Also, beat LMAO4KINGS! once I realized that you are just capable of doing more damage to them than they are to you.  That was a pretty stupid bossfight, and considering Pinwheel was the previous boss I'm kind of in a rut of shitty bosses.
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: November 18, 2012, 06:48:42 AM »

Pinwheel wrecked my face the first time I fought him because I got there at level 10 by pushing all the skeletons off cliffs.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: November 19, 2012, 12:46:02 AM »

I just beat the game. Ending feels like a major anticlimax to me. I don't even know what I was doing or what just happened. I was told to link the fire, and I uh... did that? Credits roll, I'm back in the asylum. Welp.

I'm gonna make a sorcerer character and see what all that magic stuff is about. Also, for anyone curious, this is the equipment I used for the majority of the game:
Black Knight Sword
Black Knight Shield
Stone Armor Set
Black Bow of Pharis
Pyromancer Flame
Havel's Ring
Covetous Gold Serpent Ring

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1046 on: November 19, 2012, 05:18:52 AM »

I wonder if I should try to make melee/archer build or perhaps try miracles... There are still play-styles I haven't tried...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 05:41:53 AM by Tumetsu » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: November 19, 2012, 05:34:55 AM »

I wonder if I should try to make melee/archer build or perhaps try miracles... There is still play-styles I haven't tried...
same. i haven't actually used miracles at all, except for the weakest healing one. also wanna try doing a run where i do new londo before anything else and one where i do the same for the catacombs.

it's so weird because i normally don't care for "self-imposed" challenges at all (unless the game is like an open-ended sim or w/e) but the souls games have a way of making that shit extremely fun. actually i think dark souls is even better than demon's in that regard because of how much you can "sequence break" the game.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #1048 on: November 19, 2012, 06:31:10 AM »

Walk out of the room next time, Nillo.
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1049 on: November 19, 2012, 06:48:41 AM »

@CA
Yeah, Catacombs would be interesting to beat earlier than with Tomb of Giants. I checked miracles again, and to be honest I'm not sure how much use I'd have for them. Most seem to be about healing and I'm already skilled enough to play every area and boss with 5-10 Estus  Huh? There is some offense miracles, but to me it looks like pyromancy is more effective on that part. Perhaps I just make dex build then.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #1050 on: November 19, 2012, 07:43:04 AM »

A friend of mine just told me that the reason I kept failing to backstab things with my first character was that you can't backstab while holding up a shield. What.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
ink.inc
« Reply #1051 on: November 19, 2012, 08:22:55 AM »

Yeah, you can't.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1052 on: November 19, 2012, 08:59:09 AM »

Ohhh if you only knew...

Miracle-casting + Sunlight Covenant = insane pwnishment time

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1053 on: November 19, 2012, 12:21:14 PM »

Miracles are basically good only for Wrath of Gods and the weapon buff spells. The default Healing also comes in handy, but it's as Tumetsu said -- the game is balanced around Estus, so additional healing is not necessary.

Overall, the gameplay style depends more on weapon choice than anything else.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Dragonmaw
« Reply #1054 on: November 19, 2012, 07:36:38 PM »

don't forget lightning spear, which is no slouch
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1055 on: November 20, 2012, 02:26:20 AM »

Yup, but it doesn't differ much from its Sorcery and Pyromancy counterparts -- I listed what's unique to Miracles.

I forgot there's one very cool thing about Healing, though. You can use it as a phantom, which is really handy if you co-op a lot. From my experience, most hosts don't care to use Estus to heal their phantoms.

Tom Grochowiak
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: November 20, 2012, 03:10:33 AM »

or just stock up on humanities and use them to heal.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1057 on: November 20, 2012, 03:36:52 AM »

Yeah. But that would be a waste on the first playthrough. In any case -- Heal is handy at times, but by no means necessary. It's a bit like the regen build in DS. Doesn't give you a huge advantage most of the time, but makes you worry less about the chip damage you receive along the way.

Tom Grochowiak
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: November 20, 2012, 04:40:56 AM »

regen builds were actually pretty nice in ds because they reduced the need to grind for grasses (one of the most boring aspects of the game that im glad they fixed with the estus system in dks)
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1059 on: November 20, 2012, 05:32:32 AM »

Agreed. That's why I played one. And they had some use in PvP, where enemies tended to do really stupid things if they saw you are regenerating any chip damage they dealt. Heal is kinda similar (sans the PvP use), but more balanced and fitting the new system.

Tom Grochowiak
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 355
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic