Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:03:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 533675 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: November 26, 2012, 03:29:41 PM »

Is it me or did they got pressed against deadlines when working on Demon Ruins?
lost izalith is even worse. iirc the director said something along the lines that the area didn't come out the way he imagined so it was probably deadlines, yes.

i didn't appreciate the reuse of bosses as normal mobs either (in my mind bosses should be unique) but i don't have any problems with the fatty statues.

imo from should have taken the whole demon ruins/lost izalith complex out of the retail version, take extra time to polish it and release it as dlc. they apparently did the same with oolacile and that's one of the best areas in the game with some of the best bosses now. but that probably wasn't their call to make so yeah.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 03:35:36 PM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1121 on: November 26, 2012, 03:38:11 PM »

Yeah, I also thought the round statue guys looked kind of dumb. I didn't find anything else in the area jarring though, maybe because I was too busy trying to not get myself killed at the time to critique the game's aesthetic quality.

I don't only mean aesthetics, though. Most locations in the game have really interesting challenges and creative mixups of enemies and terrain hazards. Each room is very well thought, allows for different strategies and tricks, and is a mini-puzzle of its own. Here, it looks like something a kid made in a level editor. Former bosses just spammed around en masse. It sure adds some gameplay time, but it's the cheapest way possible.

lost izalith is even worse. iirc the director said something along the lines that the area didn't come out the way he imagined so it was probably deadlines, yes.
imo from should have taken the whole demon ruins/lost izalith complex out of the retail version, take extra time to polish it and release it as dlc. they apparently did the same with oolacile and that's one of the best areas in the game with some of the best bosses now. but that probably wasn't their call to make so yeah.

Interesting. Probably removing these areas last minute would be more troublesome than just filling them with some placeholder enemies and hoping it'll pass. It's not like it's unplayable, after all. It stands out mainly because the rest of the game is so tightly designed. Bosses were cool, though. Centipede Demon is properly disgusting.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: November 26, 2012, 04:19:03 PM »

just wait till you get to bed of chaos aka dragon god 2: megadum edition
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: November 26, 2012, 10:27:32 PM »

Bed of Chaos was really disappointing to me because of all the build up around it, I was half expecting to crawl down to the bottom-most dungeons of lost Izalith and encounter something like this:

ONLY ON FIRE

But what I get is a droopy tree with a bug inside.
At least it's on fire for part of the fight, hoho
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 01:31:15 PM by Ben_Hurr » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: November 27, 2012, 12:21:17 AM »

i thought it was disappointing because its a terrible fucking boss fight lol.

i actually like the enemy designs in izalith. the bounding demons look freaking bizarre and those things with the many eyes are one of the creepiest enemies in the game. the suction noises they make when they walk are so unnerving
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1125 on: November 27, 2012, 02:40:38 AM »

Yeah, it's true that Lost Izalith reeks of shortcuts, which is a shame because it had the potential to be an epic area. Unfortunately, many of the enemies are re-used (Taurus, Capra, Dragon Zombie, Demon Firemage) and the boss fight is down to blind luck rather than skill, forcing you into 1 hit kill cheap deaths. The gargoyle statues just float around without moving, FFS.

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: November 27, 2012, 01:34:33 PM »

i thought it was disappointing because its a terrible fucking boss fight lol.

i actually like the enemy designs in izalith. the bounding demons look freaking bizarre and those things with the many eyes are one of the creepiest enemies in the game. the suction noises they make when they walk are so unnerving

Oh that's a given, it sucked horribly.  I figured out the best strategy for the orbs was to run straight into its swinging hands and suck up a hit; because at least that way it doesnt force you into a hole.  That's all kinds of dum in a game where you spend most of your time blocking/evading.

Tube monster looked too much like they couldn't think of a proper monster design for me to enjoy fighting it. ):
ink.inc
« Reply #1127 on: November 27, 2012, 02:31:19 PM »

i skipped 99 percent of that shithole with the fair lady's shortcut and was rewarded with a bed of chaos for my troubles
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: November 27, 2012, 02:36:21 PM »

huh? no, the orbs are easy. the bad part is the final jump which as far as i'm concerned is almost pure luck. (if anyone has discovered a strategy that works please tell me i'd love to know)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 02:41:42 PM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1129 on: November 27, 2012, 02:55:28 PM »

Apparently there is ledge which is slightly further than others. When you walk down from it you drop to the root. Whole strategy is to stand near big root in left, wait till BoC swipes and run to that ledge and slow down to walk. After I learned that it was much easier than blind leap of faith.

Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1130 on: November 27, 2012, 03:17:05 PM »

huh? no, the orbs are easy. the bad part is the final jump which as far as i'm concerned is almost pure luck. (if anyone has discovered a strategy that works please tell me i'd love to know)
bed does the arm sweeps only when you're in range, from the middle front go towards it so it sweeps then back off just out of range, right as the second arm is about to pass you start to dash forward, run, and roll onto the middle log (dont jump, just roll), works every time. if you mistime it though you'll get at least knocked to the side, luckily the log you're rolling to is decently sized so even if you're a little off you generally still make it.  All you have to worry about then is getting hit with a fire tempest while working your way through the roots inside, basicly just roll roll roll and dont stop rolling until you're in the middle.  If you roll from the middle you will ALWAYS land on the platform though, so even if coming from one of the sides after the orb you want to make your way back to the center of the room before jumping in.

I realized something my last time i was down in there too...dunno why i didn't think to try it before...but the two orbs....you can just snipe them with a bow from the middle and not have to deal with the crumbly floor at all, after the first arm is out you have to be on your toes as it takes a few shots to break the branches covering it first, but it's a super easy way to kill bed.

-Fuzzy Spider
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: November 28, 2012, 08:33:29 AM »

thanks! will try next playthrough.
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: November 28, 2012, 03:25:30 PM »

So I just killed my first low-level grief-faggot today.

That was nice.
The guy was in standard thief gear with bandit knife, but I knew something was up when my R1 swings only did 20 damage, and a parry only did 1/6th of his health bar.  Lips Sealed

However, he sucked so criminally bad.
He kept trying to ineffectually get some bleed going through my shield, and when he started running out of hp he turtled up completely.  ...so I destroyed him with a single two-handed R2 with a shortsword.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 03:41:57 PM by Ben_Hurr » Logged
AshfordPride
« Reply #1133 on: November 29, 2012, 12:12:53 AM »

The fucking princess isn't real.  She's not real.  I mean, I kind of figured that something was up, but...  No man...  Come on...  I really thought that she was the one thing in this world that wasn't going to turn on me or fucking die.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: November 29, 2012, 12:31:06 AM »

The fucking princess isn't real.  She's not real.  I mean, I kind of figured that something was up, but...  No man...  Come on...  I really thought that she was the one thing in this world that wasn't going to turn on me or fucking die.
How'd you find out she was an illusion if you didn't try to kill her?

(also does anyone who cares about spoilers even read this thread?)

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Dragonmaw
« Reply #1135 on: November 29, 2012, 06:03:02 AM »

Gwynevere never existed. She is an illusion by Gwyndolin, created because Gwyndolin was a man raised to be a woman. Not only that, but taking her out also removes most of the enemies, meaning that most of Anor Londo is also illusion.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: November 29, 2012, 08:53:50 AM »

Gwynevere never existed.
wrog

"The Princess of Sunlight Gwynevere left Anor Londo along many other deities, and later became wife to Flame God Flann."- Ring of the Sun Princess description
Dragonmaw
« Reply #1137 on: November 29, 2012, 09:02:28 AM »

I could've sworn I read that Gwyndolin was an only child. Guess I'm just a DINGUS
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 09:10:58 AM by Dragonmaw » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: November 29, 2012, 09:22:42 AM »

i like how the whole "chosen undead" thing is pretty much a hoax and how becoming "lord gwyn's successor" means you're spedning the rest of your life burning in a kiln.
AshfordPride
« Reply #1139 on: November 29, 2012, 12:09:12 PM »

Oh no, I went at her.  My friend told me that there's nothing else to do with her now and just go for it.

I didn't expect that my one fucking comfort in this world, Anor Londo, would be ripped away from me.  It really was another one of the times that the game really ripped the rug out from under me.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 355
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic