Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:12:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 526422 times)
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1240 on: December 10, 2012, 04:30:02 PM »

Interesting. That's going into that blog post as well, then Gentleman.

Also, I stopped playing DkS as I had to focus on a milestone, and now I dunno when I'll find the time to finish it. Either this games is too long or I'm getting too old. Probably both.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: December 10, 2012, 04:48:58 PM »

I don't think people need minimaps or anything like that in games. It's just like exploring an area in real life - having a semblance of direction, we can mentally piece together the parts of areas like big cities and things. The main problem with getting lost in video games is that the environments don't mirror reality very well - repeated geometry and uninteresting environments really damage our memories and make spatial links that aren't there. Dark Souls does a pretty good job of avoiding this- I could go through any given area in it, piece-by-piece, and give you something specific that made that part of the area stand out - just like in a place in real life (yet there are some areas that more or less intentionally want you to get lost, like Darkroot Garden or Blighttown or the Depths, but even their level design is more varied and unique than usual (Depths - Basilisks, Giant Rat, holes in the floor, large setpiece you pass by (the boss arena), etc)) but I couldn't do the same naming thing for a lot of other games. I guess in general my point is that we should demand more from our level design - I was playing Assassin's Creed 3 the other day, just after a session of Demon's Souls, and the level design just seemed boring to me. It's not that it was bad per se, probably just about run-of-the-mill these days (or better, I dunno), just not nearly as good as DS. I remember running through a countryside that seemed flat and generic, and getting into functionally identical battle sequences along the way. Which gets me to another point, but one I won't elaborate on because then I'd be rambling. Difficulty (good difficulty, not fake) helps players remember level layouts well, too. If you had a near-death experience in New Londo Ruins after getting sandwiched by five ghosts (you know where I'm talking about (case in point)), you're going to remember it for later, and you're going to memorize the layout and other aspects. You're going to pay attention, just like in real life. Level design is important, but it's also very neglected.
These are some big shoes for DkS2 to fill. Hopefully they've got it figured out.

AshfordPride
« Reply #1242 on: December 10, 2012, 05:53:09 PM »

- Voiced by Nolan North, the Chosen Undead's tale will come to life through hundreds of lines of voiced dialogue detailing the origin and history of Dark Souls flagship character.  Uncover the history of Lordran and put a stop to the deadly plague that causes the dead to rise and seek the flesh of the living!

- Choose from up to five classes.  Knight, Pyromancer, Wizard, Cleric, or Archer!  Each one has an exciting range of unique skills available to you at the start, and more to discover!  Wield sword and shield as the Knight, cast flames and fire as the Pyromancy, slay your enemies with spells as the Wizard, use the wrath of the gods to attack your foes, or bullseye your enemies right between the eyes with the Archer!  There's a class for every playstyle!  

- Cultivate relations with friendly NPCs, and even have them blossom into romantic possibilities.  Get ready to thrust your crystal halberd into the gaping dragon of up eight romancable straight and gay options.  

- Loading screen hints have been implemented to reduce the redundancy of being shown descriptions of items you already own or may find soon.  Hints will remind player what button he should use to block, or that he should use his estus flask for the sake of recovery.  New players will gain valuable information, and even old pros might be surprised to learn a thing or two!

-  New difficulty options!  Recently added is the Storyline difficulty mode, which will allow players to experience the lore and world of Dark Souls without having to endure the boundaries of the difficult gameplay.  The second option is Beginner option, which will allow new players to become more accustomed to the world of Dark Souls with enemies with less health that hit harder and will feature less deadly traps.  But the core fans don't need to worry, because the third option of Dark Souls Experience will provide them with the Dark Souls experience that they have come to know and love through minimal navigation of our obtuse difficulty naming conventions.

- Solaire returns!  The firstborn son of Gwyn who had forsaken his godhood to quest for his sun will be featured prominently in the game.  Solaire will act as your helpful guide through the world of Dark Souls, and with his head held high will continue his glorious quest to bring sunlight back to the world of Lordran!  Sun be Praised!

- Purchase the Dark Souls season pass to experience all four upcoming DLC packs as soon as they are released!  Explore the dark and foreboding realm of [TBA], brave the gloomy crypt of the fearsome [TBA], and revisit an area that you would have though was integral to the plot and should have been in the base game but wasn't in [TBA].  All which culminates in an exciting post-game spectacle offering a third ending in [TBA].

- Gamestop exclusive items!  Be sure to pre-order your game to receive the exclusive Do the Dew™ taunt for your character to use in-game.  Strike fear into the heart of Darkwraiths as you show off your refreshed demeanor and cool and with-it temperament as you down a cool Mountain Dew, the official drink of Dark Souls!  

- Who will you play as?  Track your karma through dozens of actions.  Will you be the type who kills to survive in this harsh world, or will you hold onto your humanity long enough to attempt to save the denizens of Lordran!  

- Align yourself with covenants to gain more power!  Completely covenant quests will gain you access to all sorts of spells an items.  Choose from Way of the White, Princess Guard, or an exciting new covenant that you'll just have to discover on your own!  

- Tweet Your Defeat!  Join your GFWL account with your Steam account with your Twitter account with your Facebook account to upload screenshots of yourself on death.  Forge an artificial facade of community through intrusive social media integration as you spread the chronicles of your numerous defeat against the unforgiving world of Dark Souls II!

Follow IGN for all the up to the minute Dark Souls II news!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 07:43:40 PM by Samtagonist » Logged
feminazi
« Reply #1243 on: December 10, 2012, 06:31:55 PM »

lol. you were arguing about how demographics are cool and now you're completely insane.
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1244 on: December 10, 2012, 08:00:03 PM »

Soooo basically Mass Effect then?

Difficulty selections... *shudder*

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1245 on: December 10, 2012, 08:43:52 PM »

I think it was really a direct jab at me3.

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1246 on: December 11, 2012, 06:29:32 AM »

I think the dig at having a "class system" is actually a bit unwarranted considering that there are "builds" for Dark Souls that work better than just having all-around balanced stats. There is technically a class system, even if it is never set in stone. For example, a DEX+INT build could be considered a "spellsword", while a STR+HP+END build is more like a "warrior".

Of course, the set weapon levels really do counteract the addition of any sort of set class to the game. However, getting bonus moves and abilities depending on what levels you raise would be cool. Perhaps the game could tell your highest stat(s) and classify you as such.

Romance options in Dark Souls would be as thus: everyone dies.

Also, what's so horrible about Covenant-specific story options, considering you have to do fetch quests to level up in each covenant?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 06:36:09 AM by SundownKid » Logged

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: December 11, 2012, 11:05:18 AM »

Mmm, the emphasis on 'unrelenting punishment' kinda makes me leery.

The pure difficulty level of a game isn't as important to how fun the game is as much as why the game is difficult, and how enjoyable it is to overcome its challenges.

I'd just rather DarkSouls II's difficulty ends up being more hard, but rewarding, like rebuilding a car or painting a masterpiece, rather than hard and excruciating, like rubbing broken glass in your eyes.  Sad
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: December 11, 2012, 11:35:37 AM »

Mmm, the emphasis on 'unrelenting punishment' kinda makes me leery.

The pure difficulty level of a game isn't as important to how fun the game is as much as why the game is difficult, and how enjoyable it is to overcome its challenges.
they said the same about dark souls 1 and it turned out just fine. i know this is almost cliche to say but the "extreme difficulty" of the souls gams is p overstated.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1249 on: December 11, 2012, 11:49:55 AM »

eXtreme Difficulty Prepare To Die ® is just a part of the marketing. The game was sold to the mainstream audience with the notion that if you beat it, you're the man (®). It probably doesn't mean they'll actually make it any harder.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: December 11, 2012, 12:30:59 PM »

My brother play it 1hours and never touch it again, bored ... he had finished ninja gaiden black on highest difficulty (the challenge tower too).

agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: December 11, 2012, 02:49:47 PM »

- Voiced by Nolan North [etc. long post]

Thanks for the good laugh =)
Dragonmaw
« Reply #1252 on: December 11, 2012, 04:54:54 PM »

Dark Souls has a high learning curve and what you are supposed to do is obtuse. That's the only real difficulty. Once you master the basics of combat (specifically: parrying, blocking, sidestepping to backstab) you are pretty much set.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: December 11, 2012, 05:01:39 PM »

what you are supposed to do is obtuse.
no it isn't lol. all you really have to do is kill a bunch of bosses and it's not like they're hard to find.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #1254 on: December 11, 2012, 05:05:38 PM »

There are a number of situations where what the player must do is never really communicated. For example, any covenant except Way of White and Princess Guard is pretty much guide-reliant, especially the Darkwraith Covenant.

I'm fine with it but that's certainly obtuse and guide-heavy.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: December 11, 2012, 05:08:08 PM »

yeah i don't think it'd take much away from it to explain shit like stats / covenants. i'm pretty sure you've even said something similar a few dozen pages back, although i could be mistaken. of course, there are a lot of nerds here who enjoy wasting 50 hours on a useless stat build so they can replay the game... but, as masochists, they sorta win either way.

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: December 11, 2012, 05:14:39 PM »

There are a number of situations where what the player must do is never really communicated. For example, any covenant except Way of White and Princess Guard is pretty much guide-reliant, especially the Darkwraith Covenant.

that's not shit you *have* to do though. actually playing through the game is pretty straightforward. i only got stuck once in the duke's archives (the rotating stair part). yeah i guess the covenants could be better explained

p.s. idk where this that the game doesn't explain stats came from. just press select on your status screen or any item description screen and presto

of course, there are a lot of nerds here who enjoy wasting 50 hours on a useless stat build so they can replay the game... but, as masochists, they sorta win either way.
god fucking forbid people enjoy playing a game in a way i don't. they must all be masochists and also NERDS
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 05:27:26 PM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
AshfordPride
« Reply #1257 on: December 11, 2012, 05:22:26 PM »

I found weapon upgrading to be hard to figure out.  I upgrade a thing five times and then it vanishes from the upgrade screen.

Uh.

Okay, guess that's all she wrote.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: December 11, 2012, 05:23:20 PM »

sorry bro but if you enjoy wasting 50 hours only to realize you've roadblocked yourself (assuming you don't want to grind for another 10 hours)

you're kinda masochistic

and these guys blew up at me for trying to explain the stats system so i'm not going to apologize for calling them nerds  Cool

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: December 11, 2012, 05:26:35 PM »

o i thought you were lashing out against people who do like level 25 runs and play pure archer builds and shit. my bad.

yeah a limited respec would be nice.

i think what i said earlier is it'd be cool if the damage types mattered more and/or if there were less of them. also arena mode should be fixed and should just be a separate game mode you can select from the title menu. their attempts to integrate the arena into the game world are admirable but it doesn't work in practice.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 355
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic