Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411420 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 11:24:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 533594 times)
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: December 22, 2012, 08:10:14 AM »

Dark Souls concept art has always been kind of disappointing to me, actually. I would not really give it a second glance if I hadn't played the game.

I like the "dwarf" character, though!
Oh yeah, a lot of the Dark Souls art is pretty goofy looking. I guess the whole point of Dark Souls is its implicit nature, so that's kinda lost on the art which needs to be more direct I guess. So you get all this sort of presentation that drags it down in the concept art.

Plus, I think the art style stems more strongly from the usually claustrophobic levels more than anything.

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: December 22, 2012, 08:36:36 AM »

i like how the armor in souls looks more like real medieval armor than is common for fantasy gams (welp some of it)

btw: things (enemies particularly) looking a bit "off" is part of the souls aesthetic. king's field had it too.
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: December 22, 2012, 08:52:25 AM »

It's kind of interesting looking at FROM's other RPGs and noticing the similarities between them.
Demon's Souls has the colorless fog, Lost Kingdoms has the black fog, etc.

They even had one game that's all about making magic rings, thats pretty cool. Tongue

Edit:
At yet a dozen more titles feature the equipment heavy model of making the player stronger, rather than levelups.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 10:42:40 AM by Ben_Hurr » Logged
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: December 22, 2012, 09:13:29 AM »

btw: things (enemies particularly) looking a bit "off" is part of the souls aesthetic. king's field had it too.
no that was different

those were just goofy and lovable

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1404 on: December 22, 2012, 01:00:30 PM »

Dark Souls is all about art. Only a dark soul cannot see it.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1405 on: December 22, 2012, 01:21:35 PM »

To be more precise, art isn't limited to paintery. Dark Souls merges gameplay and art into one whole. It is fascinating indeed. I have never played a game that does it to a noticeable extent like Dark Souls did it for me. I have heard of Shadow of Colossus and Okami but haven't tried them. God of War 3 is better/more solid gameplay-wise and the visual art on its own is top notch but it doesn't reach that artistic touch on everything like Dark Souls does.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: December 22, 2012, 03:41:27 PM »

WTF Facepalm

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1407 on: December 22, 2012, 04:25:06 PM »

here is that dark souls II concept art gallery again, but higher resolution images: http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2012/12/dark-souls-ii-concept-art.html

flaming zombie bandaged thing looks cooler when you can see the full size
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: December 22, 2012, 04:26:46 PM »

hahaha the dwarf has a bell on his head (or IS that his head). great.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1409 on: December 22, 2012, 04:41:14 PM »

WTF Facepalm
You are a boring duck with very limited imagination.

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: December 22, 2012, 04:45:47 PM »

hahaha the dwarf has a bell on his head (or IS that his head). great.

Inb4 naked bell-hat invaders
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: December 22, 2012, 04:51:18 PM »

I don't think there are too many fantasy rpgs with the horror game aesthetics that the souls games have, so maybe the concept art doesn't seem amazing on it's own, but when you consider the type of game they're for / the world they belong to, they seem pretty neat IMO
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 05:14:42 PM by Blademasterbobo » Logged

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1412 on: December 22, 2012, 05:20:54 PM »

I don't think Dark Souls' art is generic, it does make an attempt to inject some originality into the designs. The enemies being dirty and/or weird-looking is what makes it Dark Souls. The whole "weirdness" of the aesthetic is what distinguishes it from typical high fantasy stuff.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1413 on: December 22, 2012, 05:27:40 PM »

The way enemies behave, the way regions loop in each other, the way npc's act and so on. All of it has an artistic touch to it. That is what makes the game stand out for me.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: December 22, 2012, 05:42:40 PM »

While demon/darksoul is just a bit above generic art design, it's still video game art design for you, ie not having so much personality. But hey who are you to be pretentious and dare having your own style, please blend.

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: December 22, 2012, 05:46:34 PM »

Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm

needs more hedgehogs pls

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: December 22, 2012, 05:50:57 PM »

Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm

needs more hedgehogs pls
Badass artstyle in art thread will do

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: December 22, 2012, 05:51:59 PM »

your homoerotic sexy elf can't fool me, nice try timbert

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: December 22, 2012, 05:54:07 PM »

brown hedgehog shooters
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: December 22, 2012, 05:56:44 PM »