Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:13:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 534027 times)
IzzyReggie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: January 15, 2013, 07:36:13 PM »

Things like that just accumulate. If you think it is great you haven't seen a good game yet.
Please, name some good games for me. Your standards make me think TrapThem is going to be one of the few.

I'd do a point-by-point analysis of your post but that's sloppy+dum so I'm just going to say: allowing for mistakes is not poor design. Demanding a player to be 100% able in the mechanics of the game just alienates potential players needlessly. That's a weird criticism "oh I can make a mistake and still win BAD GAME DESIGN"

edit: I just realized that several of the bosses are intended (or at least, I believe they were intended) to be beaten "cheaply". Don't know how far you are, but Ceaseless Discharge is meant to be lead off of a cliff instead of directly fought and Ornstein and Smough usually need some fancy maneuvering around pillars to separate them from eachother. Allowing/encouraging players to exploit knowledge of game mechanics to make fights easier != bad game design in my mind(although CD doesn't quite count as it is specifically scripted to be beaten that way)
Also, Sif becomes much easier if you stay under his legs, too close for his attacks to hit. It makes sense, and it allows a clever player to fight the boss on EZ mode.

And I think the bit you're referring to with the "keeper in the ghost-mansion" is GOOD design. It encourages exploration. Why do you need indication that there is a guy? You should  be looking around and finding out the MYSTERIES of the ghost-mansion. You should find him naturally w/o an NPC telling you "seek the guy with the key to progress to level 5!". If you DON'T find him naturally, then you just explore more (the idea behind the game) and then you find him! Naturally! through exploring! Which the game wants you to do! The game design has lead to the intent of the game being fulfilled!

PS: what is stopping you from using a pen and paper to make notes? It is literally the same thing only one is much easier to look at considering the inability to pause (the easier thing is the pen and paper)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 07:42:06 PM by IzzyReggie » Logged

Twitter: @fistpuncher (no relation to the game)
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: January 15, 2013, 07:45:12 PM »

I'm not sure why the keeper is an issue either. It's on the main path. And there's no alternate paths when you reach the seal. It's only logical to trace back your steps. And even then, the game is rather forgiving because it doesn't respawn enemies.

on the other hand

I agree that the bosses are pretty lackluster for the most part, in part because of the solutions. There isn't much in the variety of spatial control, or in using the depth the combat provides, considering most of the time you can't parry, two-handed strong strikes and poise are most encouraged.

A problem with the game in general is that challenge vanishes through experience. While I understand that's a viable facet for such an exploration-based game, bosses themselves are still locked fights that aren't deeply involved with the exploration process. This hurts replayability as one of the alluring aspects of the game is beaten down through experience rather than being transformed into something else interesting as in the case of learning the environment/stats and etc to better develop a character/sequence break.

But meep, tension is an important part of the game experience so maintaining a sense of difficulty is still important.

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1522 on: January 15, 2013, 07:58:36 PM »

It doesn't "hurt replayability" - playing it through once is a big challenge, and if you can defeat a boss cheaply, it's usually either due to luck or desperation. Once you get skilled at it, the game lets you do all kinds of tricks to speed you up, making the game more exciting for people who have already played it. So, rather than being the same slow plod on a second playthrough like most RPGs, it actually becomes more fun playing a second time, not less, making you feel heroic by knowing how to fight the bosses effectively.

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: January 15, 2013, 08:01:24 PM »

I'm forced to agree with J-Snake on some points.

People talk about Dark Souls and Demon's Souls like they are the great messiah of videogaming, but they're pretty bad in as many areas as they are good.

For me, the only real step up they have over other recent games is
a. they dont forcefeed you MGS length exposition every 10 minutes
b. you have incredible control over your combos
c. they don't hold your hand like you're a retarded toddler with a safety helmet

I can appreciate how the level of challenge is greater here than a variety of other titles lately, but it seems that 'challenge' here means tons of repeating sections you've long gotten bored of, bosses and enemies that kill you over and over with few opportunities to learn their weaknesses, and almost as much time-wasting filler as every other modern title.

I'm not sure that's the type of 'challenge' I'm looking for. Concerned

Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: January 15, 2013, 08:13:30 PM »

I literally felt the same way when the game first came out: frustrated. 'This is dumb. This kills me all the time and is unfair.'

But then I got really good at the game, and nothing in PvE can kill me save my own stupidity/laziness. So maybe my opinion's a little biased and I don't remember how bad it was the first time I played it. But it was worth the struggle, that much I can say with assurance. (P.S: Fatrolling sucks and will get you killed more often than the defense boost is worth, which was my big hangup the first time I played.)

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: January 15, 2013, 08:31:43 PM »

two things:

1) what the fuck are you going on about a ghost mansion for, wtf is the ghost mansion

2) jsnake said god of war 3 has better combat than dark souls so take his bs with a grain of salt

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: January 15, 2013, 08:36:16 PM »

oh ok that makes sense, i hated that area so i just used a map  Who, Me?

ghosts suck

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: January 15, 2013, 08:44:42 PM »

the dumb thing about the ghost mansion is the ghosts themselves

dark souls is great at being absolutely terrible about group combat and crowding
i'm glad they acknowledged it, then did it in the worst way anyway

It doesn't "hurt replayability" - playing it through once is a big challenge, and if you can defeat a boss cheaply, it's usually either due to luck or desperation.
but some people play for challenge, and that's lost the moment you beat the game
you know all the tricks the game gives you, there's no surprise or emergence from the situations

and honestly, acquiring the tools or mindsets to clear something shouldn't cheapen it
it can be easier, but it should still be something that requires *thought*

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: January 15, 2013, 08:48:21 PM »

dark souls is great at being absolutely terrible about group combat and crowding
i'm glad they acknowledged it, then did it in the worst way anyway
Its because it wants you to proceed at the speed of a snail and twink everything with 100 arrows

because thats totally an interesting way to play right
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: January 15, 2013, 08:51:43 PM »

the problem with a game that has a boss where you fight it in a way that is different from normal enemies is that the boss is going to be that much easier the second time through. you cannot fix this without adding new content to successive playthroughs. all you can do is punish people more for mistakes (if there's ng+ or whatever.) which is what ds does with both the bosses and the enemies. ng+ is still fucking hard.

once you beat a game once, why would you replay it for exactly the same reasons you played it the first time, anyways? why go in expecting the same experience? that's absurd. nobody does that. even if it's not changed by the game itself, your brainmeats are going to change the experience in some way - whether it's to change your priorities on the second playthrough (eg speedruns) or to make the game intolerably boring, you're not really going to ever be playing the same game again.

edit: fyi, there are some crowd weapons, like the halberd things / scythes.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 09:00:23 PM by Blademasterbobo » Logged

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: January 15, 2013, 09:00:12 PM »

Yeah, NG+ is completely identical to NG except for obscenely boosted enemy stats, its completely worthless to play if you were expecting something new or the challenges to change.  Sad
IzzyReggie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: January 15, 2013, 09:01:12 PM »

how to deal with ghosts:

0)eat a transient curse
1) sprint straight down a hallway, ignore all ghosts
2) turn around, all the ghosts will be in the hallway, following you
3) run into group of ghosts, use the cool running spin move of the black knight sword
4) collect souls+transient curses+ghost daggers

you can also use steps 2+3 on those fat things in Izalith (unless they start breathing fire and then u die, nerd)

Twitter: @fistpuncher (no relation to the game)
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: January 15, 2013, 09:15:48 PM »

could you elaborate on this?

You have only yourself to blame.

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1533 on: January 15, 2013, 09:52:35 PM »

Things like that just accumulate. If you think it is great you haven't seen a good game yet.
Please, name some good games for me. Your standards make me think TrapThem is going to be one of the few.
The main reason why I got into developing games is that every game I played had either not interesting enough gameplay-mechanics or they were technically flawed. However I can bring up a detailed understanding of what is good and what is bad, assuming a common specification a game tries to achieve. TrapThem is a different game but I can make some comparisons. I design a rule-set with the notion to fully exploit it in mind. These are the atoms, so to speak. Every atom has a unique purpose. And in combination they can provide a big pool of variety despite of belonging to a simple rule-set. In case of TrapThem it means the rules are clean and simple, you will quickly know how it works. But the pool of various actions/techniques and concepts you will discover, work out and master on your way is huge.

Now regarding dark souls it is clearly closer to a game than something called skyrim. And kudos for this attitude. But I think the physical combat can be significantly more and better implemented. It doesn't provide a big pool of variations you have to master. It is too one-sided and flawed in physical combat. For example most won't deny to perform accidental kicks and for what reason do you use backstepping? Those are examples of unused or flawed atoms.

But like I said, the game still stands out to me compared to other rpg games and they try to bring patterns to fights. However I am not calling God of War 3 that interesting but it has cleaner concepts behind it when it comes to combat.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: January 15, 2013, 10:05:18 PM »

For example most won't deny to perform accidental kicks and for what reason do you use backstepping? Those are examples of unused or flawed atoms.
Not posting a rebuttal, just clarification:
Kicks are like smashes in Smash Bros, so I guess if you aren't well-versed in that you could have some mistakes there. Isn't this sort of a controller issue, though, and not a conceptual one?
Backstepping is used frequently in PvP, because it can evade faster than a roll, keeps your facing when unlocked, and can be chained into unique moves with certain weapons. For example, Uchigatana's backstep+r1 allows you to evade then run forward and stab.
Anyway, that's all I wanted to say.

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1535 on: January 15, 2013, 10:15:33 PM »

It is not a controller issue. It is an issue of low framerate + no-go button layout. The time-window is not clean and can vary up to 1/30 seconds or more from the start of inputting the command. The result is a not so clean time-window, unclean enough to accidentaly miss the right thing from time to time.

I have only looked into single-player since that is what the game natively offers. So
It can be that some things can get more interesting with another player, haven't looked into that. But I assume it is also designed for the single player so there should be no excuse on that part.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: January 16, 2013, 08:50:33 AM »

A problem with the game in general is that challenge vanishes through experience.
u just described every singleplayer gam ever made yo
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: January 16, 2013, 08:52:09 AM »

god i hate jsnake

HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: January 16, 2013, 03:38:52 PM »

A problem with the game in general is that challenge vanishes through experience.
u just described every singleplayer gam ever made yo
well yeah, most of them are terrible in that aspect

but i guess the dynamic i want would be against the tenets that make souls so strong in level design (also it's in the mp anyway, just badly implemented)

rip game design
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 03:45:10 PM by kummerspeck » Logged

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: January 16, 2013, 06:21:26 PM »

I'm not sure how you would make the challenge just continually escalate forever, kummerspeck?
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 355
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic