Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:11:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 526506 times)
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1680 on: February 17, 2013, 03:00:23 PM »

You could actually access the DLC now too, so you could just get it and do the DLC.
Though the Painted World is also one of the best areas.

How funny that the strongest parts are optional.

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1681 on: February 17, 2013, 03:04:15 PM »

Nah, really. It could be the best thing ever, but even now I'm afraid I won't finish this game and plan to skip on some optional locations.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: February 17, 2013, 03:20:20 PM »

your problem is that you derive value from finishing games rather than just enjoying the content

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: February 17, 2013, 03:26:42 PM »

teegee play the dlc or i'll ban u im srs!!!!!
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1684 on: February 17, 2013, 03:37:01 PM »

your problem is that you derive value from finishing games rather than just enjoying the content

...or I might be a nearly 30 years old man who doesn't have as much time to play video games as he used to, and yet would still like to finish Dark Souls. But you seem to know me and my motivations better, so I'll go with your assessment Wink.

teegee play the dlc or i'll ban u im srs!!!!!

I may get it later if I feel like getting back to DkS. Which is pretty likely, judging from how many times I got back to Demon's Souls. Can I stay now? Please? Pretty please? Beg

Tom Grochowiak
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: February 17, 2013, 03:40:30 PM »

well what i meant is that you dont have to finish it lol

just play the best parts then ditch it

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1686 on: February 17, 2013, 03:43:13 PM »

It would be like reading just the best chapters from a book and then ditching it without knowing the ending. Not my style.

Tom Grochowiak
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: February 17, 2013, 03:44:49 PM »

dum, books aren't games. it'd be more like skipping all of the filler episodes in a sitcom that had a season appear during the writers guild strike

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1688 on: February 17, 2013, 03:57:37 PM »

Dum, tv series aren't games either. But this is what I plan to do anyway. Skip some content (great hollow, valley of drakes, DLC) in order to see the entirety of the story. It's funny that I care so much about a story in a game with almost no storytelling (at least in the classic gamey way). Had the same thing with Dragon's Dogma. The Japanese surely should take on western RPGs and fantasy tropes more often.

Also, I just realized I'm an idiot and used up the soul of the Firelink Shrine keeper. No resurrection for the poor lass. Now I wonder what's the other closest bonfire to the Four Kings.

Tom Grochowiak
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: February 17, 2013, 05:32:07 PM »

youre skipping the best part tho! also the dlc has a lot of story stuff fyi

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1690 on: February 17, 2013, 06:13:46 PM »

It would be like reading just the best chapters from a book and then ditching it without knowing the ending.
Dark Souls is a gameplay-game though, the story is poor and irrelevant to the game. But if you know the painted world, you know the whole game. It just repeats the same few gameplay-patterns over and over, only in slightly varying cocktails, so you won't miss much playing it further.

The most impressive part of the whole game is how artistic the sceneries connect and loop in each other.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: February 17, 2013, 06:55:04 PM »

the story is poor and irrelevant to the game.
wow.

Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1692 on: February 17, 2013, 06:58:10 PM »

actually the story is incredibly detailed and in-depth, while leaving just enough out to keep an air of mystery about the world.  The difference is it's not told in cutscenes and narration, you learn most of it from the areas themself, talking to people, and finding secrets/items.  The "ending" isn't even really the end of the game, you'd miss major parts of the story by skipping areas, and without finding a LOT of them you won't understand the implications of either of the two endings at ALL even if you beat it.

-Fuzzy Spider
zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: February 17, 2013, 07:07:05 PM »

the story is poor and irrelevant to the game.

Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: February 17, 2013, 08:05:43 PM »

No, J-Snake's as entitled to his opinion as anyone else. But when he said that, he stated it as if it was objectively true. Just put an 'I think that' or 'in my opinion' before a claim like that, and I wouldn't care at all.

zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: February 17, 2013, 08:40:56 PM »

im entitled to go into the league of legends thread and tell them how shallow and horrible their game is, but i dont.

i could go into the dark souls thread and say the game has no/poor story without ever having played the game, and i could still get away with it by saying that it's just my opinion.

just because someone has an opinion doesn't mean you have to respect it, especially when it's pretty obvious they have no idea what theyre talking about.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1696 on: February 18, 2013, 12:16:44 AM »

I guess a major motivator that keeps you playing is the well developed atmosphere and mystery. Story and/or explicit story-telling is the enemy of mystery, therefore a deep developed story isn't necessary for certain games. So there is no reason to take it as an insult.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: February 18, 2013, 12:30:46 AM »

This thread has taken a turn for the worse.

If you don't like the game, your time might be better spent not playing it and not discussing it on internet forums.
just look at it this way: its good that the gam is popular enough for people to call it overrated Wink
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1698 on: February 18, 2013, 03:15:10 AM »

Okay, okay, I'll get the DLC. You guys are such fanboys, sheesh!  Giggle

J-Snake, "story" doesn't have to limit itself to classic movie-like narrative. It can be all in the background as world's lore or backstory, or told through the gameplay itself. The fact that there's little actual text doesn't mean it's weak. If anything, it may be seen as evolution of storytelling in games -- it uses features unique to this medium as opposed to relying on what we know from books or movies.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 03:27:36 AM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
nekokoneko
« Reply #1699 on: February 18, 2013, 03:31:26 AM »

Okay, okay, I'll get the DLC. You guys are such fanboys, sheesh!  Giggle

J-Snake, "story" doesn't have to limit itself to classic movie-like narrative. It can be all in the background as world's lore or backstory, or told through the gameplay itself. The fact that there's little actual text doesn't mean it's weak. If anything, it may be seen as evolution of storytelling in games -- it uses features unique to this medium as opposed to relying on what we know from books or movies.

Exactly that. The lore is rich but not spoonfed.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 355
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic