Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 05:37:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 534074 times)
vexille
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1780 on: April 11, 2013, 06:53:01 AM »

Did anyone else notice in the IGN gameplay interview the main character was switching between 3 different equipped weapons? In dark souls, having 3 weapons equipped like that would have you fat rolling. Does this mean the equipment load/endurance system has been toned down?

or he has max stats for demo purposes

Just the fact that you can have 3 weapons in each hand makes me really happy :D
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: April 11, 2013, 06:54:07 AM »

It'd be so out of place in Dark Souls. It would cease to be lonely and crushing, and instead be just an action thing.

Yeah it doesn't fit with the tone of the game. D___ Souls has that unique feeling of a lonely multiverse.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1782 on: April 11, 2013, 07:23:43 AM »

Just the fact that you can have 3 weapons in each hand makes me really happy :D

I doubt thats what those slots are for. Souls is pretty wild, but not hold-six-swords wild.

Those slots may be for something like weapon modifcations. Think Diablo. Gem slots or something? Maybe they are a different kind of gear altogether.

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1783 on: April 11, 2013, 09:28:00 AM »

It'd be so out of place in Dark Souls. It would cease to be lonely and crushing, and instead be just an action thing.

Yeah it doesn't fit with the tone of the game. D___ Souls has that unique feeling of a lonely multiverse.

Not sure what you mean by that. The whole point is that you need to finish the lonely part of the game before trying the part where you play with other people. There's no change with the normal game, maybe just a potential community synchronization that would be totally optional.

So I don't agree.

Does this picture comes from the manga "Blame!"? It looks a lot like it is from there.

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: April 11, 2013, 09:32:09 AM »

dragon's dogma has a boss like that and it's not great

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1785 on: April 11, 2013, 09:33:28 AM »

What do you mean exactly? I assume that dragon dogma is not great whatever the additional/optional boss.

CVaseTYb!!
« Reply #1786 on: April 11, 2013, 09:50:57 AM »

What do you mean exactly? I assume that dragon dogma is not great whatever the additional/optional boss.
it's this one and it's a chore:
http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Ur-Dragon
i won't quote it because of spoilers but it's basically the same idea and it really doesn't work well. part of it is that there's a dumb time limit factor

also dragon's dogma has a lot of good moments, especially to do with fighting enemies, it just has a ton of other dumb stuff that should have been obvious to the developers

edit
Does this picture comes from the manga "Blame!"? It looks a lot like it is from there.
the artist is this guy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zdzis%C5%82aw_Beksi%C5%84ski
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1787 on: April 11, 2013, 01:30:27 PM »

DS2 looks awesome, only got into Dark Souls recently but I've been totally hooked.

I've completed it twice with separate chars (not tried NG+ yet) but I still feel like I suck at the game. Just sorted ports out on my router and I've been giving PvP a blast, it's fun but I've done about 15 games today and won zero Tongue

Any advice for pvp? mostly just feels like I'm chasing people, missing hits then getting dicked on (dex build SL 95 & str build SL 65)

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1788 on: April 11, 2013, 02:03:27 PM »

it's this one and it's a chore:
http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Ur-Dragon
i won't quote it because of spoilers but it's basically the same idea and it really doesn't work well. part of it is that there's a dumb time limit factor

also dragon's dogma has a lot of good moments, especially to do with fighting enemies, it just has a ton of other dumb stuff that should have been obvious to the developers

From what I read there, it is totally dumb and not at all what I was thinking about.
I'll not get into details, but the point was to make a community challenge, unique and precise, not a contest of who will kill the boss better. This is ridiculous because it goes against collaboration, which would be the idea behind a good community challenge.

[offtopic]
I believe the game I'm working on have a insanely huge potential to allow these kind of community challenge, so I try to research and think about these kind of game mechanics because I think it can easily make a community very strong or something like that.
[/offtopic]

the artist is this guy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zdzis%C5%82aw_Beksi%C5%84ski

Thanks!

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1789 on: April 11, 2013, 02:08:29 PM »

The three pages starting with this one is what this picture made me think about: http://www.mangahere.com/manga/blame/c025/25.html

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: April 11, 2013, 02:32:48 PM »

i really think what makes these games great isn't the combat mechanics or the multiplayer or the "difficulty" or w/e, it's the extra step the devs went to integrate these mechanics with the atmosphere of the gams. the world doesn't just feel like a backdrop to killing mooks (to me anyway).

games like dragon's dogma and monster hunter have nice combat mechanics but they don't suck me in the way the souls games do.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 02:39:57 PM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1791 on: April 11, 2013, 02:35:34 PM »

Yeah, I often say D Souls games worlds looks to me like "depression". I mean, there is no hope. Everybody is dead and still fighting in some way, until they become mad.

It really feels like fighting depression.

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1792 on: April 12, 2013, 07:43:12 AM »

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-04-12-dark-souls-has-sold-over-2-3-million-units

Good. Now if they don't take 5 years to make the next one, I guess we are assured that they have enough to make a good sequel.

Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: April 12, 2013, 09:43:04 AM »

On DS2 - I hoped they would alter the HUD more than that. The setup on the left-hand side of the screen is convenient, but large, which makes it somewhat intrusive. Maybe it can be customizable. I like a minimalist HUD for games like these.. ICO was nice for that.

i really think what makes these games great isn't the combat mechanics or the multiplayer or the "difficulty" or w/e, it's the extra step the devs went to integrate these mechanics with the atmosphere of the gams. the world doesn't just feel like a backdrop to killing mooks (to me anyway).

games like dragon's dogma and monster hunter have nice combat mechanics but they don't suck me in the way the souls games do.

Something about it fits together quite well. The combat itself isn't amazing, but the game has the right pace and atmosphere. I like that there's mostly no music, certainly helps the tension. And I like finding unique enemies tucked away in dark areas, e.g. Havel.

In a way, it gives me more of what I always wanted out of dark fantasy games like Diablo. Not precisely the way I'd want it, but close enough.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: April 12, 2013, 10:11:03 AM »

the way i used to describe demon's souls to people was "it's like diablo if the atmosphere was actually good"
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1795 on: April 12, 2013, 10:28:58 AM »

has anyone done a scholarly or just intelligently written breakdown of the basic mechanics/movement/combat of d* souls

seems like the kind of thing that'd exist

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1796 on: April 12, 2013, 11:39:25 AM »

I beat Seath the Scaleless last night. I ran up to him and just applied brute force to him while spamming my 20 Estus drank... ended up getting cursed right when he died haha. Cry
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1797 on: April 12, 2013, 11:50:29 AM »

I like a minimalist HUD for games like these.. ICO was nice for that.

The combat itself isn't amazing

Well ICO had no gear, stats, magic, bars, or anything to manage or be mindful of at any given time other than "hit the black thing with a stick" so you can't really compare.

And GUH. You're insane! The combat in Souls is like the absolute best fantasy medievil game of all time. If the combat wasn't so solid and just beautiful the game wouldn't be anything at all.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1798 on: April 12, 2013, 11:53:43 AM »

Yeah, the combat really is incredible in this game. Everything feels very deliberate, if that makes sense.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: April 12, 2013, 11:59:01 AM »

seath's crystal attack doesn't hit you if you stand right in front of him iirc.

i like the large hud. for me the hud is actually an important part of the aesthetics of a game and i don't think it's intrusive at all.

i'm not sure about absolute best combat system but its very good. severance: the blade of darkness had similar (and probably more challenging) combat but lacked the atmosphere imo. there's also monster hunter which d souls has a quite a few things in common with combat-wise.

like i said, i really think the combination of mechanics + atmosphere is what makes the game. the harshness of the world, bizarre enemies, almost complete lack of cutscenes, and the often "non-gamey" feel of the level design make it very immersive and give the gameplay more "weight" so to speak. conversely the deliberate nature of the combat, high punishment on death, slow exploration etc. enhance the atmosphere and make me take the setting more seriously than i otherwise would.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 12:13:08 PM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 355
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic