Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411197 Posts in 69315 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 03:00:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 525652 times)
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1980 on: May 08, 2013, 10:36:03 AM »

ink.inc
« Reply #1981 on: May 08, 2013, 11:03:51 AM »

chuunibyou :I
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1982 on: May 08, 2013, 11:59:46 AM »

In PVP can you only invade/be invaded by people around your SL?
Apparently it's roughly +/- [10 SL plus an additional 10% of your SL.]

I think it's different for different types of invasion though!

olücæbelel
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1983 on: May 08, 2013, 01:30:08 PM »

IIRC in forest there isn't SL limits.

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1984 on: May 08, 2013, 03:05:32 PM »

You say that because you don't have Havel's armor.  Tired

Actually I still manage them by timing but I have to be hit once before reaching the left archer and being not-visible for the right one, which let me kill them one by one then.
there's actually no point in killing the left one unless you really want the soul of a hero there, and i never bother anymore myself, it's more trouble than it's worth. Once you cut right and quickly roll under the right archers arrow you're no longer in the line of fire to the left one, he stops shooting at you, so you literally just have to run up to the top full speed, cut right, roll, stab, and drop down to the door. If you time it poorly the left archers last arrow may hit you in the back as you cut right, but it wont push you off, and you'll still have time to duck under the right archers arrow as they fire staggered due to when they see you.

You might have missed the part where I say I'm using Havel's armor (and shield...and Dragon Tooth...). It means I just can't do what you just said:

1. I'm to slow to run to the right without being hit by arrows two times in the back which means dying. Turning back exposes me to the right knight which means dying too.
 2. I can't "quickly roll", my roll is not quick and I think (but I'm not sure) that the physical boundaries of my character are wider than when I don't wear this armor. This means that when I roll on these kind of narrow paths I have high chances of falling. Rolling is not a good idea with this kind of armor. OR you have to do it on last resort to dodge a deadly attack when your shield will not be up on time (which is rare but happen).
 3. I could do what you say by removing the armor first, but I find it far easier to just go left kill one guy, then go right. Because then I take only one hit and I don't have to be precise (because Dragon's Tooth in the face is a 2-3hit to kill the knights). Your way of doing it is actually quite stressful comparing to mine, while mine is less but require much more efforts to master heavy attacks and armors.
 4. I'm a completionist so I wouldn't avoid a bonus just because there is a knight in front of it. Ok this have nothing to do with Havel's armor.

Damn this game is incredibly adaptive to personal style.

Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1985 on: May 08, 2013, 06:30:29 PM »

you can invade people infinitely above using any method, though the matchmaker tries to get you people as close to your level as possible, this is with any method anywhere.  (you can invade basicly anyone as a SL1 darkwraith no matter where you are in the world).  The one method that's slightly different is the blue eye orb, if you get the book that shows how many indictments you have, the more indictments you have the higher level darkmoons can invade you, an indictement effectively "raises" your level for the sake of being invaded by them, it's really the only way in the game you can be invaded by someone significantly higher level than you and it takes a LOT of indictments for it to start being noticable.

the 10 levels +-10% thing is the level bounds for summoning people from white or gold signs, not invading, invasions work infinitely upwards.

-Fuzzy Spider
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1986 on: May 08, 2013, 06:40:27 PM »

You might have missed the part where I say I'm using Havel's armor (and shield...and Dragon Tooth...). It means I just can't do what you just said:

1. I'm to slow to run to the right without being hit by arrows two times in the back which means dying. Turning back exposes me to the right knight which means dying too.
 2. I can't "quickly roll", my roll is not quick and I think (but I'm not sure) that the physical boundaries of my character are wider than when I don't wear this armor. This means that when I roll on these kind of narrow paths I have high chances of falling. Rolling is not a good idea with this kind of armor. OR you have to do it on last resort to dodge a deadly attack when your shield will not be up on time (which is rare but happen).
 3. I could do what you say by removing the armor first, but I find it far easier to just go left kill one guy, then go right. Because then I take only one hit and I don't have to be precise (because Dragon's Tooth in the face is a 2-3hit to kill the knights). Your way of doing it is actually quite stressful comparing to mine, while mine is less but require much more efforts to master heavy attacks and armors.
 4. I'm a completionist so I wouldn't avoid a bonus just because there is a knight in front of it. Ok this have nothing to do with Havel's armor.

Damn this game is incredibly adaptive to personal style.
Heh, that's fine, i guess you can do it that way, at least in early loops. Seems hit or miss using heavy armor though as a lucky shot just flat out knocks you off the ledge, and in, say, NG+7 even in havels armor i'd think the chunk it takes off your hp would be a bit worrying.  I wouldn't call my way "stressful" though, as it's actually quite easy, just hold circle and press circle when they're about to fire an arrow, they have a LONG tell when they're drawing the bow, it's super easy, i dont think i've died to the archers since back when the game came out.  Personally past the first half of my first run i ditched armor and shields for the most part and just play using straight dodging and parrying (just use the grass crest worn on my back usually, or dark hand for purpose of parrying without weight), can easily get up there and kill both without getting hit at all, though my point about the left one is more of just a "why bother" unless you really want it for some reason. 10k souls is a nothing amount so i never really find a reason to go over there, though I invade a lot so i'm generally trucking around with upwards of 10 mil on me so ymmv on the soul items.

FAP w/ havels ring also you actually CAN dodge them with full havels gear, midroll is fast enough to do it, you dont need fast, fast just makes it easier.  If you're fatrollin tho about your only choice would be to tank the shots and hope the RNG gods smile in your favor as to not getting knocked off....or since you have armor that's only accessable past then anyways just use the dragonslayer bow and oneshot both of the knights off the ledge before running up.

-Fuzzy Spider
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1987 on: May 10, 2013, 08:17:53 AM »

About NG+7 thanks for the info, I'm ready to tackle NG++ so I didn't knew it would become a bad strategy in long term. That being said I think Dark Souls 2 will be out before I reach NG+7 but year maybe I will have a bad time. And maybe that's what I'm looking for  Evil

About the roll, indeed I'm fatrolling and have been working on incrementing endurance for some time without much results because obviously after 160+ levels it's a bit slower and boring to grind. Anyway I never managed to not fat-roll with this set, maybe because I also have another ultra-great-sword equiped (just in case) and the very big bow, the one from Hawk something. So yeah I'm fat-heavy.

For some reasons I can't help but go with this, each time I try other styles I get bored. So I make my current character learn a bit about other stuffs like magic, so that I can have a feel of it but I don't think I will do another kind of character.

I guess I'm such a fan of Gut's one-hit-kill-with-a-giant-not-really-a-sword attack that I want to do the same.  Evil

Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: May 10, 2013, 11:33:29 AM »

Just finished my first run through last night. Quite a bit of fun, starting NG+, not sure what else to consider aside from diversifying leveling stats a bit. It will take a backseat until I finish bioshock infinite though.

Never had an issue with the archers, though I was never overburdened. Isn't havel's ring enough, or at worst, switch armor to get through? I wonder if you can time the shots such that you can turn around to block each one when running to one archer.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1989 on: May 10, 2013, 02:56:36 PM »

If you read my previous messages you will find that I have no problem with the archers with havel's armor, we were just discussing that in this case the strategy would just be different than if you have lighter armor.

Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: May 11, 2013, 12:07:11 PM »

That's what I'm questioning. I don't see the point in bothering that bit overburdened unless as a challenge for its own sake.
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: May 11, 2013, 03:40:56 PM »

Yeah I know, to me being that overburdened is less of a difficulty issue and more of a 'wow this is painfully boring to travel somewhere' issue.  Tongue
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: May 11, 2013, 03:50:58 PM »

ya i couldnt imagine playing the game with over 50% equip burden. but whatever floats your boat i guess.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1993 on: May 11, 2013, 05:08:24 PM »

That's what I'm questioning. I don't see the point in bothering that bit overburdened unless as a challenge for its own sake.

I don't know, I find it easier to play with, personally. I don't have to jump around avoiding hits, I just take them with almost no damage. I just wait for an opening then hit and the thing in front just die. Most of the time.

It's not particularly hard. Maybe a little slower to progress sometimes.

Indeed it's certainly a style issue.

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: May 11, 2013, 05:14:03 PM »

Yeah I guess it's totally style.  I also didn't know it was possible to 'take almost no damage' in this game.  Tongue

Glad to see the game accommodates so many play styles!  Tears of Joy
vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1995 on: May 11, 2013, 11:32:33 PM »

You can have extremely high defence, while still be at least midrolling.

Imagine this, but with lower VIT and slightly lighter armour at lower levels.
http://mmdks.com/22ie

This one is even weaker, but at NG, still managed to take almost no damage.
http://mmdks.com/1zn8

They're mostly PvE builds though, but even in PvP, fatrolling is even more of a hindrance.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1996 on: May 12, 2013, 03:55:59 AM »

I should post here my current character stats, it's quite different because I initially focused a lot on strengh.

Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: May 12, 2013, 08:14:22 AM »

You can have extremely high defence, while still be at least midrolling.

No defense has ever felt extremely high tbh, but then I barely levelled VIT, just END and STR. I had upgraded black iron helm and armor, with elite knight leggings and wanderer manchete most of the last quarter of the game, and some larger enemies will easily take over a quarter of full health in one hit.

What should I level in NG+?
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1998 on: May 12, 2013, 09:44:06 AM »

Maybe they're just taking a lot of health because your health bar is so small. Leveling at least some VIT is recommended since it adds on to your defense if you have powerful armor (and the RoFAP multiplier). Boosting END a lot doesn't really help your defense that much if you have a high stability shield, so you get diminishing returns from that as it takes a longer time to recharge anyway. It's good to have balanced VIT and END rather than more of one or the other.

You should try starting a completely new file and respec-ing your character. You will progress a lot faster once you are good at the game, especially with the Master Key. There are also more people to fight at lower Soul Level.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: May 12, 2013, 10:01:34 AM »

also the ability to survive high falls allows you to use a few shortcuts.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 355
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic