Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:46:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 526264 times)
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2000 on: May 12, 2013, 02:20:10 PM »

My character.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: May 12, 2013, 02:24:55 PM »

holy strength batman
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2002 on: May 12, 2013, 02:32:28 PM »

Yeah that helps a lot killing in one or two kills most monsters. I initially hesitate as to how to grow the character then decided to first put maximum in strengh and a bit in vitality until I reach strengh 50 and vitality 30. Then I played until I reach the end of NG+ which is where I am now.

SPOILER ALERT

Currently I just farm a bit, try things I find in wikis and in the NG++ I will try the other ending and also try to save Solaire and Catarina because I messed up big time this game.

vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: May 13, 2013, 12:37:58 AM »

Most stats have diminishing returns past level 40 or 50

Same goes with strength. The Demon's Greataxe build I posted does more damage at less than half the strength.

Anyways, stats are purely cosmetic. Since you're at NG+, you can probably see that you have to rely much more on skill. Only exception is the Four Kings where you need to be doing a lot of damage quickly.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2004 on: May 13, 2013, 02:02:17 AM »

Most stats have diminishing returns past level 40 or 50

Same goes with strength. The Demon's Greataxe build I posted does more damage at less than half the strength.

I learnt that late which is why you can see I started to enhance other stats to try new things a bit. Always end up crushing ennemies with Dragon Tooth though. But just because it's liberating. (I also have Smough's hammer but I don't like the timing of the strong attack)

Anyways, stats are purely cosmetic. Since you're at NG+, you can probably see that you have to rely much more on skill. Only exception is the Four Kings where you need to be doing a lot of damage quickly.

Yeah the game is purely skill (patience and timing mainly) even at this level, I often die dumbly by rushing early ennemies with too much confidence when it's late and I'm tired and getting very dumb.

The 4 kings was a bit hard for me at NG+ for several reasons: 1. you have to be close to one to be able to hit it without taking much damage, but they move fast and with big weapons it means you have a very narrow timing window to hit them 2. Havel's ring is still necessary for me at the moment which mean that I have both ring slots taken by this ring and the Abyss Walker ring. Most of the time I wear another green flower ring which replenish my stamina quickly, so that I can chain heavy attacks. But for this boss I can't.

Also, note that Smough and Orstein are still hard to beat even if they don't deal me any damage while blocking. The problem is that as I am not very mobile, I need to have both attacking from front to take hits in the shield, but Orstein moves a lot and sometime I can get stuck in a corner which prevent me from moving which means death by Smough smashing.
It's easier if you attack at opportunity any of these guys, but it's harder if you try to kill Smough first, because Orstein often endsup hitting you just after you hit Smough, because your move place Orstein in your back.

Anyway, I find it fun this way.

C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: May 14, 2013, 01:29:10 AM »

I recently defeated the 4 kings, after a lot of failed attempts trying to focus on the usual dodge, strike and dodge again boss approach I decided to use Havel's ring and Power Within and started hacking away at them.
Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: May 14, 2013, 09:59:01 AM »

I decided to use Havel's ring and Power Within and started hacking away at them.

That's the way I did it, but it was such a close call the first time trying to defeat them all quickly I figure in NG+ I might have to stick with stamina regen.
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2007 on: May 15, 2013, 12:08:02 AM »

also the ability to survive high falls allows you to use a few shortcuts.
actually fall damage in dark souls is percentage damage, it just takes a % chunk based on what your equip weight is (the more you're wearing the larger percentage of your MAX health it takes). you can survive the same falls with 10 vit as you can survive at 99 vit, there's a cutoff point however where any falls from above that height are 100% damage fatal.  Naked with 10 vit falls actually do next to no damage to you Smiley.

Rolling when you land the fall also reduces the percentage of health it takes from you.

For stats, there's really no reason to go beyond 50 in any stat (or go beyond 0 in the case of the "resistance" stat...NEVER level res), no reason to go beyond 40 actually unless it's a weapon requirement, or on one of VERY few weapons that dont falloff too badly until then (biggest example is the crystal catalyst, which the ideal stopping point is 50 int), theres really not much reason to go beyond level 125 either, beyond that the online interaction plummets as ~120 is the "meta" for dark souls, it's the general stopping level for most people and where you'll get the most pvp and phantom summons.

For the 4Kings fight, it can be pretty hard with slow swinging heavier weapons as you'll often get hit mid swing, so you really have to stack poise as much as you can but try to keep at least midroll.  Especially NG+ and beyond 4k and gravelord Nito in particular you can no longer really "cheat" them by poise tanking (you "kinda" can in ng+, but not really beyond).  4K does more damage the further from them you are so you want to stay close and juse dodge the swipes as much as possible, when they glow roll back and keep rolling back until their dash stops, then get close again quickly or they'll run ans start shooting homing purple crap that does a ton of damage.  Like most of the bosses 4k is actually a LOT easier with smaller, faster weapons, as it's easier to keep hitting until the last second then dodge, plus faster weapons get more out of weapon buffs as the buff damage is static, it doesnt scale by the weapon, and for 4k you should be using gold resin, sunlight blade, or any other fire or lightning based buff as that's their weakness.  Speed and buffs are the biggest key to taking any boss down quickly and easily in dark souls, a buffed katana or similarly fast weapon easily makes it a "three kings" fight even in later ng+ loops as you kill them so fast you have time to rest between kings and the 4th never has time to spawn!

If anyone is on ps3 and would like to co-op a boss and have me show you my tactics first hand I would be more than happy to as well.

-Fuzzy Spider
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: May 15, 2013, 05:56:03 AM »

If anyone is on ps3 and would like to co-op a boss and have me show you my tactics first hand I would be more than happy to as well.

It'd be helpful if projectiles and signs stopped being invisible on the PS3, it seriously dampens MP enjoyment.  Tongue
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:47:15 AM by Ben_Hurr » Logged
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: May 15, 2013, 06:03:03 AM »

Oh man I thought that was just me.

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2010 on: May 15, 2013, 08:45:18 AM »

No it's a bug since the last update, it shows only online though, so you can play offline. But then part of the fun is obviously gone. :/ No idea when they will fix it.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: May 15, 2013, 12:57:25 PM »

also the ability to survive high falls allows you to use a few shortcuts.
actually fall damage in dark souls is percentage damage, it just takes a % chunk based on what your equip weight is (the more you're wearing the larger percentage of your MAX health it takes). you can survive the same falls with 10 vit as you can survive at 99 vit, there's a cutoff point however where any falls from above that height are 100% damage fatal.  Naked with 10 vit falls actually do next to no damage to you Smiley.
ooooh i didn't know that. would explain why i never died from non-instakill falls. i read some forum post ages ago that said the catacombs shortcut only works if you have high VIT so thats why i assumed the dmg was fixed.

(btw i think it'd actually be more interesting if it was how i thought it was)
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2012 on: May 15, 2013, 09:48:21 PM »

you can die from non-instakill falls, if you dont have full hp when you fall since the fall damage is based off your max hp and not current it can still kill you, i've misjudged my remaining hp many a time and died stupidly like this Tongue  What i mean is with identical armor and equip if a person with say 700 hp did the fall they might take 350 damage, but if a person with 1500 hp did the fall they'd take 750 damage, which leads to the odd case that if you're at 700 damage left and your max is 1500, the low vit guy with 700 hp but full health will survive the fall with 350 hp left...you however will die from the impact :D

Funny you mention the catacombs drop too in reference to that, i normally use that shortcut to grab the rite of kindling, get some easy souls and equip down there at SL1 right after coming from the asylum, and if i'm doing a str based character grab the gravelord sword at game start.  It's actually a pretty common tactic, and pretty easy to pull off, just run past the first few skeletons, and before the first crossing over the pit drop off the right side of the ledge, roll back and heal after impact, then drop again and you're just a short but very serpentine run away from pinwheel, who even at sl1 with your starting weapon un-upgraded is stupidly easy to kill.

-Fuzzy Spider
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2013 on: May 15, 2013, 09:51:49 PM »

It'd be helpful if projectiles and signs stopped being invisible on the PS3, it seriously dampens MP enjoyment.  Tongue
no kidding, the game is next to unplayable right now, not only is stuff invisible everything flickers like crazy much like the expansion area did right after release.  And it's not even worth pvping as 99% of the people right now are just ganking with magic and fog ring since it being invisible makes it extremly hard to dodge, ps3 had the largest online community until this and it's losing it quickly due to this, felt like dark souls PC trying to get a summon when i played after the patch...

-Fuzzy Spider
ink.inc
« Reply #2014 on: May 15, 2013, 09:53:19 PM »

fastest time i got through this game was 6 hours 23 minutes; thought i was hot shit till i remembered that the average speed running time is like... 6 times lower than that (1 hr)

;____;
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: May 16, 2013, 12:50:46 AM »

I want a mod that makes a really loud noise immediately when someone triggers your summon sign - kinda like the "Your game is ready" sound in Dota. I don't really mind waiting 10 minutes between summons provided that I can do other things during that time, but right now I have to look at the screen all the time just to make sure I'm ready to go.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2016 on: May 16, 2013, 04:15:08 AM »

I want a mod that makes a really loud noise immediately when someone triggers your summon sign - kinda like the "Your game is ready" sound in Dota. I don't really mind waiting 10 minutes between summons provided that I can do other things during that time, but right now I have to look at the screen all the time just to make sure I'm ready to go.
if you're near a bonfire listen for silence...sound cuts when it's loading you into the new world so you can't hear the fire or ambient sounds of the area anymore Smiley

if you're waiting 10 minutes for summons though you're probably not the right level for the area, in my experience average wait time for summons is more around 2-3 minutes in most areas, only real exceptions are tomb of the giants, catacombs, and bed of trollollol

Put together a quick table of the levels you'll get the most summons at (in my experience) on ps3. Note that at SL100-120 you get really high summon rates in basicly all areas as well, as that's the standard NG+ and forward level people use. You can also increase your chances by being a sunbro, it gives you matchmaking priority so your sign shows for more people.

*by the number indicates that summons there are rare
** means you can be there all day without a summon people so rarely summon there

AreaSign LocationBest Level
Undead BurgJust across door from bonfire, behind archer5
Undead ParishBottom of steps between parish and the path to the bonfire15
Lower BurgsBridge right before boss fog20
The DepthsBonfire Room25
BlighttownLower Bonfire25
Darkroot Garden (butterfly)Out in front of bonfire*25
Sens FunhouseRight in front of boss fog30
Anor Londo BridgeBottom of stairs right under elevator40
Anor Londo IndoorsBonfire room inside building45
Darkroot Basin (Sif)In front of door to boss arena45
CatacombsBonfire room**45
Demon Ruins (Ceaseless)Bonfire or in front of boss fog**45
Painted WorldBonfire40,60
Dukes ArchivesBonfire on ground floor after rotating stairs puzzle50
Sanctuary GardenBonfire*60
Royal Wood (Artorias)In front of boss fog to artorias60
Royal Wood (Kalameet)In front of boss fog to kalameet*65
Oolacile Township (Manus)Bonfire65
Tomb of the giantsSecond Bonfire, alternatively in front of boss fog*65
New Londo Ruinsround platform in the middle of the long wood bridge at start65
Demon Ruins (Fire Sage)Bonfire where the worm was*65
Demon Ruins (Centipede)Bonfire*65
Lost IzalithHidden bonfire in front of the path out of the lava, or on the stairs to boss room**75
Kiln of the first flameSquare platform after stairs down85

-Fuzzy Spider
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: May 16, 2013, 05:09:43 AM »

Thanks, that should help a bit. I know being a sunbro helps, but unless you play a Faith build you have to do several successful summon runs before it even allows you to join that covenant.

I was playing a SL24 character in the depths farming humanity while waiting for someone to trigger my sign. I didn't check the time but it must've taken at least 15 minutes before I found a single host, and that was right in front of the corridor from the bonfire room so it couldn't be missed. Maybe they didn't want to summon me because I was still wearing the starting gear for the Sorcerer class at the time.

Anyway, I just picked up the crown and the catalyst from Dusk, so my stuff should look a lot better from now on.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2018 on: May 16, 2013, 07:13:32 AM »

Thanks, that should help a bit. I know being a sunbro helps, but unless you play a Faith build you have to do several successful summon runs before it even allows you to join that covenant.

I was playing a SL24 character in the depths farming humanity while waiting for someone to trigger my sign. I didn't check the time but it must've taken at least 15 minutes before I found a single host, and that was right in front of the corridor from the bonfire room so it couldn't be missed. Maybe they didn't want to summon me because I was still wearing the starting gear for the Sorcerer class at the time.

Anyway, I just picked up the crown and the catalyst from Dusk, so my stuff should look a lot better from now on.
put it inside by the bonfire, many people when they see it in an "odd" place away from the others will assume it's someone trying to be summoned by someone specific.  Not sure of your platform either but it should be noted that PC wait times for summons are quite a bit longer, and right now on ps3 due to the graphical bug introduced in this last patch a lot of people are avoiding online play at the moment.

-Fuzzy Spider
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2019 on: May 16, 2013, 12:02:30 PM »

Guys, I have a friend who have been cursed. The first time he had to find the guy in New Londo. Today he was cursed again but he had the Resist Curse spell that, from the text and wikis, should cure it's curse (whithout having to use humanity apparently).

However, it doesn't.

Does someone here know why that spell don't work?

Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 355
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic