Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 07:14:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 525644 times)
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2040 on: May 23, 2013, 04:35:39 AM »

Forgot about that and poise, actually.

Heavier equipment leads to better poise (less pushback), but increased comboability as a result of it, and lowered mobility; but the figures balance it out better than most games.

Lighter equipment leads to faster movement all around, but lower poise which makes pushback a bigger factor (your hit reactions take more time, not just more space), and that factors more into the environment.

I also forgot to mention the Ninja Flip ring; which kinda goes more into the gear/RPG side of things, but that basically IS an invincible roll with immediate recovery. It replaces your evade roll automatically when the ring is equipped (and you're below 1/4 of your max weightload), and in early builds could actually flip through characters for easy/dumb backstabs.

That has since been patched. Twice. It used to be half your max weightload; but it was often combined with another ring that drops that burden in half, too; essentially letting you use it with anything...

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2041 on: May 23, 2013, 10:57:09 AM »

Generally the enemies are a lot faster than most RPGs so you can't just start button mashing or you will get curb-stomped. Your shield is a lot more important than most action RPGs, but there is also a dodge roll that's pretty effective. I wouldn't say the combat was slow, though, the enemies are just fast and powerful.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: May 23, 2013, 11:13:50 AM »

i wouldnt say the enemies are that fast, they just do a lot of damage lol.

imo the style of the combat isn't actually too far removed from castlevania (pre-SotN) in that it's less about quick reflexes and more about knowing when to attack if that makes sense. it also has the "ok i can kill this guy in 2 hits and this guy in 3 hits" type "tactical" decisions that are common in older action games.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: May 23, 2013, 11:17:13 AM »

What are the average hit to die ratio?

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2044 on: May 23, 2013, 12:04:08 PM »

I try to keep mine at around 3-4 max; but you can buff different ways, and how you build/play your character can vary that a lot. A high-defense character can easily exchange 5 or more per enemy, and with tanks, it's usually 2 or less (both ways).

It's not a hard game to win; that's the tricky thing. It's just REALLY REALLY EASY TO LOSE. Even as you're dealing impressive damage, you're always kind of frail.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: May 23, 2013, 12:06:52 PM »

for most builds i've played it's anywhere between 2 and 4 for smaller enemies (not counting things like the blighttown flies) and a bit more for bigger ones.

ofc it also depends on your level and stats and etc
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2046 on: May 23, 2013, 04:12:43 PM »

And as soon that you get into NG+x, it's closer to 1.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2047 on: May 24, 2013, 05:56:42 AM »

Forgot about that and poise, actually.

Heavier equipment leads to better poise (less pushback), but increased comboability as a result of it, and lowered mobility; but the figures balance it out better than most games.

Poise is your chance of being stunned/staggered/interrupted when hit. Weapons bouncing off of shields/armor is entirely dependent on the weapon itself.

Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: May 24, 2013, 06:57:28 AM »

Is it worth using Wolf Ring at higher levels for a medium build? I use ring of favor, so I shed some weight to swap out havel's.
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2049 on: May 24, 2013, 07:08:34 AM »

Is it worth using Wolf Ring at higher levels for a medium build? I use ring of favor, so I shed some weight to swap out havel's.

Yes sir.

Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2050 on: May 24, 2013, 07:12:42 AM »

yes, wolf ring gives a full 40 poise so you can hit the first few poise breaks in lighter armor, the ring alone is actually enough to keep you from getting stunned by the katana and other similar weapons.

-Fuzzy Spider
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: May 24, 2013, 04:00:11 PM »

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2052 on: May 25, 2013, 11:59:41 AM »

after seeing this, just to understand, I read the guy's description. Then I took a look at the views of his videos. Then I felt bad for him. Didn't manage to make a buzz yet.

edit> wait i missed the v one. I was wrong. O__O

Bandages
« Reply #2053 on: May 25, 2013, 12:22:57 PM »

Just ordered a copy of Dark Souls for the PS3 since I'm home for the summer. Very excited.
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2054 on: May 25, 2013, 06:26:04 PM »

Just ordered a copy of Dark Souls for the PS3 since I'm home for the summer. Very excited.
Do yourself a few favors since you're going to be playing first time.

1. Look up NOTHING, figure the game out and piece together the story and how to proceed yourself...it's worth it
2. Play online and stay human as much as possible, it REALLY adds a lot to the game having the looming threat of being invaded at any time, and also having others available to help you.
3. There are no "best" or "overpowered" anything, just things you havent figured out how to counter yet, so don't give up, each death just means you learned a new lesson in what not to do Smiley
4. Read the descriptions on all items and stats before messing with them, and pay very close attention to what each level gives you, leveling up without much thought or paying attention to your items will cost you, everything is explained in-game, and it's ALL important, so don't skimp on reading.

-Fuzzy Spider
Uykered
« Reply #2055 on: May 25, 2013, 07:56:58 PM »

Play offline, no clutter or spoilers everywhere!
Bandages
« Reply #2056 on: May 25, 2013, 09:31:28 PM »

Hmm, I've actually tried to play it on PC before, but the game lagged horribly because terrible optimization. I got up to Sif before the game got unplayable, but it was always slow. I'm just looking forward to the actual experience of the game. I think I'll go str and rush the zweihander :3
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: May 27, 2013, 03:38:32 PM »

2. Play online and stay human as much as possible, it REALLY adds a lot to the game having the looming threat of being invaded at any time, and also having others available to help you.

DON'T DO IT

Raptor just wants your precious Humaniiiiity.  Cheesy
Likewise, the uber powerful summons will rob you of any satisfaction from beating the bosses.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 03:43:59 PM by Ben_Hurr » Logged
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2058 on: May 28, 2013, 02:06:33 AM »

Yeah first play you shouldn't even care about most humanity as it becomes interesting only when you get more powerful. Play online but don't get human if you are not in a position to take the risk.

The more you play, the more interesting it is to stay human. But at the beginning you have to much to learn before getting to that.

Or get human if you need help. But beware of invaders.

In my NG++ that I should start before next week I think I will have as goal to keep being human. My character is now close to level 200 and contrary to what people say around here there are advantages to have some stats over 40, like endurance. Also, I want to see the other serpent this time.

Bandages
« Reply #2059 on: May 30, 2013, 07:23:36 PM »

It's... so... hard...

I also have gotten absolutely no drops. I think maybe my PC runthrough was really lucky, since I had a Black Knight's Sword and a Balder (?) Shield by the time I encountered the gargoyles. They have been turning me and Solaire into paste.

It's so hard.
I love it.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 355
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic