Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411278 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:24:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 526555 times)
Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: May 30, 2013, 08:02:05 PM »

It's... so... hard...

I also have gotten absolutely no drops. I think maybe my PC runthrough was really lucky, since I had a Black Knight's Sword and a Balder (?) Shield by the time I encountered the gargoyles. They have been turning me and Solaire into paste.

It's so hard.
I love it.

Hold more humanity, if you can risk it. I also lucked out with black knight sword early on, but got few other drops until I would hold more, or wear covetous serpent ring.
forwardresent
« Reply #2061 on: May 30, 2013, 08:41:35 PM »

I'm probably going to give this another try, I got to Capra Demon and just hated him. May restart as a Pyro or something, never really tried the magic or anything in Dark Souls. The switch from a mana system is interesting.

My girlfriend is on NG+ right now, and it looks pretty hardcore. I think I like watching Dark Souls more than I like playing it, the fight against Knight Artorias was really neat to watch.
ProggleRock
Level 0

My milk is delicious.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2062 on: May 30, 2013, 10:27:13 PM »

Dark Souls would be one of my favorite games if the framerate in some areas wasn't so atrocious. Here's to the sequel clearing that up.

Posthuman Wizard
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2063 on: June 01, 2013, 11:08:47 AM »

I cannot wait for Dark Souls II. Demon's Souls is one of my favourite--if not my most favourite--games of all time, and I absolutely adored Dark Souls, as well. I do think Dark Souls is a bit inferior in terms of level and boss design; while I appreciated the "Metroidvania" world structure of the game, and feel as if that was a definite improvement over the "separate levels connected by a hub world" structure of Demon's, the areas themselves felt less exciting than Demon's (Save for, perhaps, Blighttown). The levels in Demon's were, in general, more maze-y/puzzle-filled than Dark Souls. As for the bosses, I felt as though those in Dark Souls were more straight forward and advertised their attacks a little too obviously; you had to think a bit more about how you were going to slay the demons in the previous game. 

The news of more developed enemy A.I. has me excited for Dark Souls II, as well as the addition of the torch mechanic (Dark Souls had a little bit of that with the Skull Lantern/Sunlight Maggot, but this being a regular part of the game is sure to make things very interesting, and enhance the feeling of suspense and dread that the Souls games are so great at conveying).

I do hope playing as a sorceror/pyromancer is a little more interesting this go-around, though; they were fairly broken in both games.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: June 01, 2013, 11:29:02 AM »

The levels in Demon's were, in general, more maze-y/puzzle-filled than Dark Souls. As for the bosses, I felt as though those in Dark Souls were more straight forward and advertised their attacks a little too obviously; you had to think a bit more about how you were going to slay the demons in the previous game
really? i think it's pretty much exactly the other way around w/r/t both of those.

it's true that the level design in demon's is better on average tho. there aren't any really shitty levels like lost izalith.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 11:45:57 AM by C.A. Sinner » Logged
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: June 01, 2013, 01:24:01 PM »

Idk CA, Shrine of Storms was pretty shit for most of it.  Tongue
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: June 01, 2013, 01:26:45 PM »

shrine of storms is my fave world :/  :\  :/  :\
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: June 01, 2013, 01:29:16 PM »

-gets banned-
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2068 on: June 01, 2013, 01:40:50 PM »

Tower of Latria and Boletarian Palace were rather cool levels. Shrine of Storms was also interesting, though those narrow ledges were a bit frustrating. Didn't really like the Mines or Valley of Defilement though.

To me it felt like in DkS' the quality of level design drop after Lord Vessel. Izalith and New Londo are a bit meh. I think that bosses are almost universally better than in DS though (except maybe Bed of Chaos, which is a bit more annoying than Dragon God). There isn't any dumb bosses like Dirty Colossus or Leechmonger. Old Monk's idea was neat though.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: June 01, 2013, 01:47:49 PM »

i thought new londo was really good actually. i also liked the duke's archives. tomb of giants is a bit meh and lost izalith has already been discussed lol.

EDIT: oh and the dlc areas are great too, those are technically post-lordvessel.

i think i prefer dark souls overall, including story/atmosphee.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 01:53:16 PM by C.A. Sinner » Logged
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2070 on: June 01, 2013, 02:04:26 PM »

Yeah, by post vessel I didn't mean the DLC ones, but Lord Soul areas. I think that Archives and Tombs were really good (Tomb lesser so though) but somehow they didn't gave me the same feel of progression as areas before. Perhaps it's because all those areas were inherently dead-ends. DLC areas were great.

And yeah, I liked DkS farmore than DeS for various reasons (gameplay, story, atmosphere, areas).

Posthuman Wizard
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2071 on: June 01, 2013, 02:33:27 PM »

Personally, I prefer the atmosphere of Demon's Souls. I thought it was a bit creepier in how the numerous mooks you plowed through were living humans--and diseased, starving slaves forced into military service, no less--who had lost their minds and had their souls devoured; one doesn't feel as bad when they're, as in Dark Souls, simply zombies who, according to lore, would keep rising/suffering the curse of undeath until they rotted away completely, anyway.

There was a far heavier sense of hopelessness, too; while Dark Souls aimed for the "you're all alone in this wretched world" vibe as well, at least the gods and whatnot existed in that world (Even if they were malevolent). In Demon's Souls, it's flat-out implied that there is no "God," only the Old One, and your only reward options are A). become an immobile statue-like being for eternity, or B). become the ultimate demon and finish the Old One's job (It's kinda similar to the endings of Dark Souls, but there was a bit of optimism in the Dark Lord ending).

There were alot of heavily forested areas and alot of opulent architecture (Especially in Anor Londo) which were visually striking/beautiful, of course, but I enjoyed how the world itself was obviously decaying in Demon's Souls; the best way I'd put it is that whereas you took a trip through a grim, dark fantasy land in Dark Souls, Demon's Souls seemed as if you were in Hell, and there was no escape. Latria and the Valley of Defilement (Especially toward the end, in Astraea's pit) are some of the most unforgettable areas in gaming, methinks.

I do think the lore itself was superior in Dark Souls, though; it's obvious alot of thought was put into it, and I still tend to find out new things about its universe each time I play through it. And, while I do think the bosses themselves felt more varied and better-designed in Demon's Souls, Demon's Souls had a pretty big problem in that there was a cheap exploit that could be abused to defeat most of its bosses (Dark Souls had some, too, but they were fewer and farther between).

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: June 01, 2013, 02:51:20 PM »

Ah sweet Latria, with it's mazelike prisons and leaning towers. <3

I certainly hope there's an area like it in the sequel. Sad
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 12:39:00 PM by Ben_Hurr » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: June 01, 2013, 04:00:43 PM »

i actually like that dark souls isnt as GRIMDARK is demon's. the story is still sad and what not but it's a bit more subtle. for instance i like how anor londo is actually a dead city save for gwyndolin and a handful of silver knights.

also im a big fan of king's field and dark souls is a lot more like kf than demon's. Tongue
Bandages
« Reply #2074 on: June 01, 2013, 04:17:21 PM »

>Smiley BEAT THE CAPRA DEMON

sure I lost all my humanity, but I DID IT

Where can I get more titanite shards? I need 3 to get my weapon to +5, and I just got the Large Ember for weapon ascension in the depths. Gonna just use the zweihander, which I already have at +4. It's a pretty neat weapon. The range let me exploit the staircase to beat the aforementioned Capra demon.
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: June 01, 2013, 04:37:46 PM »

Buy them from Andre at the sweet sweet price of 800 souls.

Also speaking of Anor Londo CA, I kinda wish they allowed us to explore the city proper, rather than just Gwyn's keep.  There's so much city in the distance but you can't even get close.  Concerned
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2076 on: June 01, 2013, 11:53:55 PM »

i actually like that dark souls isnt as GRIMDARK is demon's. the story is still sad and what not but it's a bit more subtle. for instance i like how anor londo is actually a dead city save for gwyndolin and a handful of silver knights.

also im a big fan of king's field and dark souls is a lot more like kf than demon's. Tongue
Yeah exactly. IMO DeS' atmosphere was more oppressing which was ok for few areas but got a bit dull after I recognized that all of the areas are like that. DkS has more contrast with for example Blighttown, Anor Londo and Ash Lake (which is probably one of my favorite areas in any game when talking about atmosphere) with each of them completely different atmosphere.

I also think that DkS actually had darker/more hopeless story than DeS. At least world and protagonist survived if Old One was sent to slumber. In DkS the ending is a bit open about what really happens after Dark Lord ending. It's also rather heavily underlined how futile the fate of the undead is. Even then, it is rather subtly conveyed.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: June 02, 2013, 01:31:22 AM »

yeah i agree.

i think what's great about both souls games though is that the levels, even the more surreal ones, feel "lived in" and have a sense of history about them.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: June 02, 2013, 01:45:16 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himeji_castle

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: June 02, 2013, 06:56:52 AM »

I'd actual prefer it if it were grimdark looking.  Right now I have trouble taking Dark Souls end of the world flames are dying scenario seriously since everything looks like this in the more frequently visited areas.

Not that it isn't beautiful, though.  But I guess we're swiftly veering into preferance territory.

On another point, if you kill the Gwynevere illusion, shouldn't the sun go out everywhere in Lordran?  It seems implied that Gwynevere is the source of sun for the whole area, since in general the higher you ascend the mountain the brighter it gets. (where at the bottom in darkroot basin its midnight)
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 355
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic