Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:38:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 533977 times)
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #4500 on: January 16, 2015, 11:47:31 AM »

I could forgive the lackluster straightforward bosses of 2 if they sprinkled in more ambitious bosses occasionally. Basically I wish they went the demon souls route once they realized they were making an easier game, but its hard to assume they even were aware of that fact.

Something that surprised me about the bosses of demon souls was how big and multi-layer some of their arenas were (tower knight, adjudicator, leech monger). It would've been cool to see a boss in 2 that raised and lowered itself to fight you on different level balconies and actually took advantage of a large arena.
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #4501 on: January 16, 2015, 12:43:35 PM »

I feel like one of the problems that made DaS2 feel boring was that they wanted the player to think "oh hey I remember that from Demon's/Dark Souls".  But they did it ALL THE TIME, I guess since now they had two games to derive from and not just one.

Worst offenders were some of the early-game bosses.  The Last Giant felt exactly like the Iron Golem.  Pursuer felt similar to Penetrator.  Old Dragonslayer and Scorpioness Najka are obvious.  Lost Sinner felt exactly like Artorias.  And in all cases the bosses felt dumbed down compared to the "originals".

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4502 on: January 16, 2015, 12:46:00 PM »

I feel like one of the problems that made DaS2 feel boring was that they wanted the player to think "oh hey I remember that from Demon's/Dark Souls".  But they did it ALL THE TIME, I guess since now they had two games to derive from and not just one.

dark souls 1 has a shitload of recycled crap from demon's lol. that was one of the reasons i didn't like it initially.
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #4503 on: January 16, 2015, 01:02:12 PM »

Worst offenders were some of the early-game bosses.  The Last Giant felt exactly like the Iron Golem.  Pursuer felt similar to Penetrator.  Old Dragonslayer and Scorpioness Najka are obvious.  Lost Sinner felt exactly like Artorias.  And in all cases the bosses felt dumbed down compared to the "originals".

yeah and

old iron king = ceaseless discharge
royal rat authority = sif
gargoyles = gargoyles

I kinda hope bloodborne has no gargoyles

dark souls 1 has a shitload of recycled crap from demon's lol. that was one of the reasons i didn't like it initially.
yeah but the bosses are relatively original at least, right? unless im forgetting something glaring
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4504 on: January 16, 2015, 01:30:10 PM »

bell gargoyles = maneaters
iron golem = tower knight
bed of chaos = dragon god
ass demons = vanguard
pinwheel = fool's idol

the phalanx from demon's also makes a return as a miniboss in the painted world

there are also several recycled npcs: crestfallen warrior, patches, logan and griggs (=sage freke and his apprentice), shiva (=satsuki), lautrec (= yurt) and probably some im forgetting. also recycled enemies.

the bosses in dork soles 2 are definitely the most boring tho.
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4505 on: January 16, 2015, 01:35:04 PM »

they are also literally the same bosses from DS1, in terms of lore.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4506 on: January 16, 2015, 01:39:24 PM »

wait wat
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4507 on: January 16, 2015, 01:39:54 PM »

wait wat

they have the same souls. they are the same beings. how do you not know this.

OIK = Gwyn
Freja = Seath
Sinner = Witch of Izalith
Nashandra = Manus
Rotten = Nito

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4508 on: January 16, 2015, 01:44:29 PM »

i do know it but like

i got confused because i thought u were responding to boreal
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #4509 on: January 16, 2015, 01:52:07 PM »

he was talking about demon souls and ds1 connections, not ds1 and ds2 connections.  Blink

bell gargoyles = maneaters
iron golem = tower knight
bed of chaos = dragon god
ass demons = vanguard
pinwheel = fool's idol

the phalanx from demon's also makes a return as a miniboss in the painted world

there are also several recycled npcs: crestfallen warrior, patches, logan and griggs (=sage freke and his apprentice), shiva (=satsuki), lautrec (= yurt) and probably some im forgetting. also recycled enemies.

ah yeah, those bosses are pretty samey. the vanguard/ass demons even both crop up in the tutorial levels. still doesnt feel nearly egregious as ds2.

i dunno why but the npcs being similar archetypes never bothered me though. guess its cause its not technically recycled content. it will probably irk me seeing similar npcs appear in bloodborne however, now that im wise to it.   

unrelated, but how likely do guys think there will be a game titled dark souls 3 at some point?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4510 on: January 16, 2015, 02:31:48 PM »

i dunno why but the npcs being similar archetypes never bothered me though. guess its cause its not technically recycled content. it will probably irk me seeing similar npcs appear in bloodborne however, now that im wise to it.

ya but in the case of patches, lautrec and crestfallen for instance, theyre not just the same archetypes but also have very similar "storylines". i mean i dont think any of this is that bad, im playing devils advocate a bit here. it irritated me at first when i played dks1, but i got over it relatively quickly.

unrelated, but how likely do guys think there will be a game titled dark souls 3 at some point?

very likely i think. there will probably be more "spinoffs" like bloodborne too because that's how fromsoft rolls. there are several armored core and kings field "spinoffs" as well.
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #4511 on: January 16, 2015, 09:14:11 PM »

Yeah, I understand that DaS takes a lot of the NPC archetypes from DeS.  But that doesn't bother me nearly as much as directly reusing and dumbing down boss fights - I felt like the changes from DeS to DaS were much more significant (except for Pinwheel and BoC but everybody else hates them anyways).

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4512 on: January 17, 2015, 02:44:53 AM »

how are they "dumbed down" tho, except the lost sinner? the difference between last giant and iron golem is honestly not that big (and iron golem is already the "dumbed down" version of tower knight to begin with). also imo the pursuer is a better boss fight than penetrator actually. i always thought that was one of DeS's less interesting bosses.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4513 on: January 19, 2015, 04:59:22 PM »

Played the second one through. The lack of ideas is apparent. Difficulty is merely created by the quantity of threats, less by their quality. You can fight most of the bosses in the same repeated manner. Combat lacks depth.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Dragonmaw
« Reply #4514 on: January 19, 2015, 06:04:57 PM »

if only from software had consulted j-snake, creator of the hit game trapthem
PowRTocH
« Reply #4515 on: January 19, 2015, 10:06:25 PM »

well regardless of ad hominems it's pretty much true
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #4516 on: January 19, 2015, 10:26:44 PM »

I feel like combat isn't lacking depth, it's just that actually fighting the enemies can be circumvented by circle strafing them to death and getting that sweet sweet BS invincibility (or in the case of most bosses, avoiding their attacks entirely).
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4517 on: January 20, 2015, 08:19:03 AM »

I feel like combat isn't lacking depth, it's just that actually fighting the enemies can be circumvented by circle strafing them to death and getting that sweet sweet BS invincibility (or in the case of most bosses, avoiding their attacks entirely).

how is that not lacking depth

DJFloppyFish
« Reply #4518 on: January 20, 2015, 09:18:54 AM »

i think its an enemy design problem more than a combat problem. then again i generally find all souls combat pretty enthralling so idk i could be a dumb shit.
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #4519 on: January 20, 2015, 02:14:28 PM »

Somebody found the unfinished map of the sixth archstone in DeS.

Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 355
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic