Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411197 Posts in 69315 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 03:46:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 525654 times)
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4520 on: January 20, 2015, 02:25:46 PM »

why do all these stupid ass dark souls video makers talk like fucking morons

i blame vaati or whatever his dumb ass name is.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4521 on: January 20, 2015, 02:53:14 PM »

why do all these stupid ass dark souls video makers talk like fucking morons

i blame vaati or whatever his dumb ass name is.

muted as soon as he started talking lol

its definitely very interesting to see this, but im not really disappointed that it isnt in the game. im glad they decided to polish up the other worlds instead.
quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4522 on: January 20, 2015, 04:04:38 PM »

Hey that's pretty interesting, but yeah I muted the video as soon as the guy started talking.

Maybe these souls youtubers should just get souls game voice actors to read the scripts.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4523 on: January 20, 2015, 04:12:49 PM »

btw i wonder if there are other unused maps in demon's souls. or if this actually the land of giants archstone or rather the unfinished area outside the nexus

GI: Not including the Nexus, there are a total of five worlds in the game. How many “leftover” or abandoned world ideas did you have at the end?

HM: I had a lot of ideas during the early design stage. The world ideas that came the closest to making it into the final product were the Library stage and the Outside area around the Nexus.

EDIT: seems like you were only supposed to see part of that world

http://illusorywall.tumblr.com/post/74830565243/demons-souls-speculation-about-the-broken
http://illusorywall.tumblr.com/post/74625093481/demons-souls-broken-archstone-references-in-the
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #4524 on: January 21, 2015, 03:43:45 PM »

And if you ever wondered why the Darkmoon covenant was so awful you have your answer

http://illusorywall.tumblr.com/post/108771156169/dark-souls-1-darkmoon-invasion-ring-is-bugged

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4525 on: January 21, 2015, 05:29:30 PM »

ooooooohhhh

why the hell hasn't this been fixed and why didn't anyone notice it? from needs to hire better programmers srsly.

gob bless the debug mode patch for letting us find out this stuff at i guess.
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: January 21, 2015, 06:23:14 PM »

It's entirely possible that it'll get fixed by Valve for the Steam version.  They did manage to remove the region lock a couple days ago and summons and invasions are working really well now.  Hell, I got invaded more playing through DaS than in DaS2 yesterday.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4527 on: January 21, 2015, 06:45:23 PM »

Huh? where did you get that valve fixed the region lock rather than from? pretty sure they don't (and can't) patch other people's games.

but ya thats a good point. is the darkmoon covenant bug a new thing in the steamworks version? i wouldn't know because ds1 multiplayer has never worked very well for me, neither on ps3 nor pc.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #4528 on: January 21, 2015, 07:39:23 PM »

idk if valve patched it, but region lock IS gone and my success rate for summoning went from 5% to 100%. this new patch is a godsend.

now they just need to implement dsfix and fix up the strange mp covenants (forest/grave/darkmoon)
vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: January 22, 2015, 03:52:35 AM »

I never got the hate for mob fights. In DaS1, the single boss fights were never menacing, no, not even in the DLC. They were a glorified simon says where you take stamina into consideration as you play, as opposed to other action games in which timings and predicting enemy attacks were much harder. Multi-enemy fights were the only thing I was hyped about, and the bit most people talked about like O&S, Capra Demon, 4Kings (potentially), and the 2 archers in anor londo.

DaS2 had some pretty sweet mob configurations and threw out enemies in such a way in which it was tense and fun to run in and hone your skills, moreso than in DaS1, so it sucked seeing people using the "strategy" known as drawing in one at a time, especially with a bow.

Multi-enemy fights pretty much made Ys Celceta a step up over other Ys games too, since boss fights becomes less about following a flowchart based on their attacks, and more about the action part of taking note of everything on screen, managing enemies, managing where you put your damage, etc. Hopefully, the next souls game has more multi-enemy fights, but also in a configuration that makes them fun to handle.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4530 on: January 22, 2015, 11:32:39 AM »

i'd never want dark souls to be a "hardcore action game" tbh
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #4531 on: January 22, 2015, 12:40:41 PM »

same

I primarily come to these games because the action is slower and more methodical, with more obvious enemy telegraphing. I've tried to get into more demanding, fast paced character action games but they don't really do it for me.

I never got the hate for mob fights. In DaS1, the single boss fights were never menacing, no, not even in the DLC. They were a glorified simon says where you take stamina into consideration as you play, as opposed to other action games in which timings and predicting enemy attacks were much harder

I like the mob fights too, but man, maybe I just suck, but the one on one fights still can catch me off guard. I agree that when you get the patterns down, it's pretty much simon says though.
vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4532 on: January 22, 2015, 01:26:21 PM »

i'd never want dark souls to be a "hardcore action game" tbh

Don't get me wrong, me neither. The game's atmosphere and tone, and the way it synergizes with the game mechanics, the weapon/armor choice and characters/voice acting were spot on. Linearity within stages, realistic moving enemies, unforgiving bonfires for a more dreadful feel only improve that tone, and its something that you don't feel as much in DaS2. It could have been terrible lighting choices in some areas (forest of fallen giants could have done better with slightly darker lighting, maybe escaping through the trees, or with sunset lighting for the same daunting feel). But it also might be the lack of those elements making the game feel cinematic. Being able to create a cinematic experience without sacrificing a more mechanically/reaction-focused gameplay has shown to be tough or sparse in general, and the souls series benefited more being cinematic.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4533 on: January 22, 2015, 01:52:11 PM »

im actually glad the game is not more twitchy and is a little more puzzle-ish, even outside of atmosphere concerns. im not much of a twitch gamer and im coming at this from a rpg/adventure angle. to me the fun part is trying out different builds and seeing how the game changes b/c it offers a ton of flexbility in that regard, much moreso than typical rpgs. souls games are also the only games i ever bother doing challenge runs in.

also it's not really that linear. sure you don't get stuck and each level has a critical path to the boss but theres a lot of optional content in the levels that isn't necessarily easy to find unless you use a guide (demon's souls had the most mindblowing secrets but dark souls 1 is a close 2nd).

also also also im not sure what you're talking about with dark souls 2 seeing as its the easiest in the series (outside of the dlcs at least). none of the group bosses in standard dark souls 2 are as hard as manus or artorias. simon says my ass.

as in, there is literally a person called simon in the room saying "my ass" over and over again.
vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4534 on: January 22, 2015, 02:04:32 PM »

Yeah I love the flexibility and customizability options, it's what I wish more jap rpgs had.

In terms of linearity, I meant the main path, like in skyrim dungeons where it can loop back a bit or have side rooms but there is generally single path. It's not necessarily bad, especially in DaS.

Also I found a lot of people saying how bits of DaS2 were hard or unfair and then say it's easy. I think the mobs were harder and people often would talk about how bullshit they were as opposed to DaS1 where the talk is mostly about bosses, the anor londo duo, blighttown because of the stage hazards, and few else, but the closer spaced checkpoints made it so you felt that bullshit less. In DaS2, every area had a special mention of a mob, as soon as forest of fallen giants with groups of soldiers and archers in big areas, the crossbow room, the "mini-boss" with the 2 archers at windows near you, etc.

In regards to bosses, it's a matter of opinion. Artorias was not as tough as say, Darklurker or Rat Authority, as roll timings take just a while to learn with moves being very clearly telegraphed and then it devolves into simon says. Darklurker has more twith-required timings even when he's just one. Manus was definitely more action oriented in that requires much more strategy that straight up flowchart-following
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #4535 on: January 22, 2015, 03:02:07 PM »

Yeah, the DLC bosses managed to be much more than memorizing attacks. They struck a great balance between keeping their attacks telegraphed and keeping them hostile enough to keep you on your toes. If the Cleric Beast is any indication, I think Bloodborne will have more bosses similar (he even looks like manus).

I don't understand the complaint that DS2 had too many mobs. Mowing down swarms of royal swordsmen was one of my favorite things to do in that game, and having played DeS I think dealing with hordes are part of the games' roots. I'm legit excited for the roaming mobs in Bloodborne, but I suspect fighting those mobs will be equally polarizing.

Speaking of flexibility, what do you guys think about there being no magic in Bloodborne? I think the gadget will probably cover enough of the same ground, but it's an interesting thing to ponder nonetheless.
quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4536 on: January 22, 2015, 06:17:55 PM »

The whole point of the "slow one enemy at a time" combat is that attacks have large wind up and cool down times.
Because of this attacks feel extra punishing because it's easy to see when they are coming and they take away large amounts of health.

Speaking of flexibility, what do you guys think about there being no magic in Bloodborne? I think the gadget will probably cover enough of the same ground, but it's an interesting thing to ponder nonetheless.

I never used magic in Souls games  Shrug, I hope the fact that the guns are more integral to the combat means that you will have to utilize some more creative thinking.
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #4537 on: January 22, 2015, 06:59:59 PM »

I must admit after going down the STR path with a bigger weapon (my DeS mainstay the Bastard Sword) the mobs became a lot easier to handle.  I also discovered that I was trying to do Brightstone Cove Tseldora way too early, before even going to Huntsman's Copse and beyond.  Freja fucking destroyed me so I decided NOPE, gonna go check somewhere else out.

Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4538 on: January 22, 2015, 11:43:02 PM »

darklurker is a really easy fight, he only has a handful of EXTREMELY telegraphed moves that are pretty much all dodged by running in circles the whole fight and has about the lowest fire defense in the game meaning a fire weapon or spell takes him out in about 5 hits. he's just a slightly harder pinwheel with a few extra spells and larger arena.  Rat authority was identical to the sif fight, even down to the re-use of the skeletal animations from sif, you just had to kill 4 small rats first or theyd toxic you while fighting the big one.

-Fuzzy Spider
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4539 on: January 23, 2015, 03:11:00 AM »

darklurker is also a joke if you magic.

also yeah rat authority is about figuring out how to get rid of the small rats early. after that it's basically sif (who is one of the easier bosses in dks1) with more erratic attack patterns.
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 355
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic