Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 06:56:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 533927 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5120 on: April 24, 2015, 12:44:26 PM »

theres no concept of souls or demons or monumentals in bloodborne. conversely theres no concept of blood or blood ministration or beasts in demon's souls. in BB you can become a great one via "paleblood", no such thing in DeS. there are also no multiple great ones, theres just "the old one". too many things just don't add up. you also use gravestones to travel to places from the hunters dream (which is not "real") but you use lanterns to travel to the hunters dream, so not exactly the same thing.

the things you mention seem more like cameos/callbacks to me.
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5121 on: April 24, 2015, 12:52:47 PM »

well duh blood healing was discovered in this time period, which is obviously AFTER demons souls. its obvious to anyone that this game isnt a sequel to demons souls, but it still has a lot of similar ideas and, as you said, call backs.

a better checkpoint system was created so it doesnt have to be an exact match to be referential to demons souls. i mean the grave stones/arch stones.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #5122 on: April 24, 2015, 12:53:06 PM »

i still stand by my statement that each souls game (and bb) is set on the same world, but in different kingdoms. each game specifically refers to a single kingdom, accessed by a stranger from the outside world seeking some greater thing (souls/humanity/paleblood, only exception is dks1 but even then you're still an "outside"), so it honestly makes sense to me that they are just horribly fucked kingdoms in the same general setting

also you could argue this game is a sequel to dks1's "age of darkness" ending based on its themes of solitude and darkness and insanity, but really that could apply to any souls game lmao
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5123 on: April 24, 2015, 12:58:23 PM »

similar themes doesn't imply same setting.

also you could argue this game is a sequel to dks1's "age of darkness" ending based on its themes of solitude and darkness and insanity,

isnt the whole lore of dks2 based on the notion that it didn't matter which ending you chose in dks1 because the world is stuck in an endless cycle? i mean dks2 is set supposedly thousands of years after dks1 and the world is still stuck in the middle ages lol
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 01:08:40 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #5124 on: April 24, 2015, 01:24:27 PM »

i think bloodborne is completely disconnected. i think every souls game has similar themes and elements because thats what miyazaki likes, and thats about it. if you try to account for lore elements from other games in one souls game or another, it just doesn't add up. like if bloodborne is connected, how come souls seem to not influence power anymore or even be a thing? if the explanation is that its just a timeline shift and now everything works differently, well i just don't find that very compelling. it is like saying the simpsons is a prequel to fallout 3. it might as well not even be connected if nothing in the world has been influenced by prior events.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5125 on: April 25, 2015, 11:53:59 AM »

Ok so: I was in the forbidden woods ng+ today and losing to the massively hp buffed shadows of yharnam a couple times and i noticed something really odd:

whenever i would go down the steps to the boss arena my HP and stamina would completely regenerate. no special animation or sound effect or anything. i'd just walk past a past a certain point and my hp and and stamina would suddenly be full again. bug, feature or ALIEN ILLUMINATI CONSPIRACY???

i made a video (thank god for the ps4's sharing features btw). but im not home atm so ill upload it tomorrow. ill also make that rom video i promised.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5126 on: April 25, 2015, 03:34:42 PM »

in other news the guy who made that lore document a while back? expanded it to 90 FUCKING PAGES! holy piss

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k7ST7Ysc9I3s6zLXr-DOzWjoAtu6afOOCaU3ucCdBDk/edit?pli=1

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #5127 on: April 25, 2015, 07:48:06 PM »

deepest lore

Dragonmaw
« Reply #5128 on: April 25, 2015, 08:57:47 PM »

in other news the guy who made that lore document a while back? expanded it to 90 FUCKING PAGES! holy piss

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k7ST7Ysc9I3s6zLXr-DOzWjoAtu6afOOCaU3ucCdBDk/edit?pli=1

this is really good
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5129 on: April 26, 2015, 11:01:25 AM »

btw i still think the lecture building was originally part of byrgenwerth before it was sucked into the nightmare. i think that because

1. the students uniform you find there, which is also the one the monstrously transformed students are wearing, is a byrgenwerth uniform. it says so in the item description.

2. the actual "real world" byrgenwerth building is tiny for a university and lacks most of the requisite facilities (such as lecture halls and real labs, both of which are in the nightmare lecture building!)

we know that the moonside lake isnt just any old lake but a portal to another dimension. what i think happened was: the byrgenwerth scholars created rom during which the lecture building was accidentally sucked into the nightmare plane and was replaced with the moonside lake where rom now resides.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 11:22:48 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
Dragonmaw
« Reply #5130 on: April 26, 2015, 11:06:18 AM »

makes sense, especially given that the little bridge you jump off into the moonside lake looks broken. probably led to the 1f lecture, at the door where you entire frontier
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #5131 on: April 26, 2015, 11:58:09 AM »

It seems that "real" world locations falling into the nightmare plane is definitely an occurrence. There is reason to believe Nightmare Frontier is/was actually a part of Loran, given that the enemies there have loran in their name and Amygdala drops the Loran chalice there.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5132 on: April 26, 2015, 12:12:53 PM »

btw im basing this on the lecture theater key description:

Today, the two-story Lecture Building is adrift in the nightmare, but once it was a place of reflection, where scholars learned of history and archaeology.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5133 on: April 27, 2015, 03:07:24 AM »

i tried some more scholar of the first sin today and i just can't get into it. enemy placement is maybe slightly better and fewer bonfires is a good thing (ive only played forest of the fallen giants tho so keep that in mind) but it still has many of the same problems vanilla dks2 had. too many enemy encounters are still just arena fights where you get swarmed by a million of the same enemy, there's not enough interesting use of the environment etc.

also holy fuck the combat feels bad after bloodborne. im even trying to play with a high adp character and without a shield but damn. i'd also forgotten how shitty some of the animations in this game are. player characters run like they just shit their pants, fast ladder climbing makes me want to hum yakety sax and many attack animations lack weight.

sorry for trashing dks2 so much. its still a good game and stuff.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 03:14:41 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #5134 on: April 27, 2015, 07:13:49 AM »

my main complaint with ds2 right now is the combat. it feels off after bb and i can't get back into the rhythm. since i probably need to git gud again for the dlc, dying a bunch after some time off is a little demoralizing. but i just can't bring myself to care this time.

just about everything feels less immersive. even with the new graphics, some areas are so bare that nothing can be done to save them. theres so many repeating textures.

so i pretty much decided awhile ago im just gonna dive into the chalice dungeons instead, cause even those look better than dks2.

i wish i could get back into dks2 again, but i can't just yet
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #5135 on: April 27, 2015, 07:24:46 AM »

Maybe not being exposed to Bloodborne will be a blessing in disguise for me because it means I may be able to enjoy Scholar of the First Sin Tongue

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5136 on: April 27, 2015, 11:34:52 AM »

btw if im honest i actually didn't like the dlc in dks2 much (aside from the sunken king). i felt like they kinda got the whole "difficulty" thing wrong and many of the bosses and other fights were just annoying rather than interesting. never completed the last 2 either.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5137 on: April 27, 2015, 04:49:53 PM »

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2015/04/27/wild-theory-blood-bloodborne-actually-comes

Have you ever wondered where the blood that everyone in Bloodborne drinks actually comes from? Someone has a theory, and it’s kind of gross. It also makes a lot of sense.

- Special blood vials in the game all come from women, such as Arianna, Iosefka, and Sister Adella. We also know that the Healing Church chooses specific women to be “vessels for blood” and are “groomed as Blood Saints.” We also know that the person who introduced the entire concept of drinking blood to Yharnam is a lady—the Queen of the Pthumerians.
- One of these women, Arianna, does not give you any more blood when she becomes pregnant. Furthermore, it’s worth considering that the old lady that you can bring to the church does not give you blood. Menopause?
- The game loves to use concepts relating to the moon and cycles.
- One of Bloodborne’s important locations is called “The Nightmare of Mensis.” There is also a boss called “Brain of Mensis” (which you have to defeat in order to get an item called ‘Blood Rock.’) There is also an item called “Mensis Cage,” which is used as an antenna that facilitates contact with the Great Ones. Mensis is very similar to the word “menses,” which is Latin for, well, menstruation. The word also has close ties with the concept of the moon.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1036954

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5138 on: April 27, 2015, 05:03:08 PM »

ya i was thinking that too haha.

what this post is missing is that all of these items and places are connected to the school of mensis which is like 1 of the 2 major factions in the game.

also mensis isnt just "similar" to menses, its the singular of menses which means "months" (hence why its tied to the moon) and is also the latin root for menstruation (because it happens once a month). but tbh im not if mensis in this game is a direct menstruation reference. they probably just thought "hey a word related to both blood and the moon, that's perfect for our story".

speaking of latin in bloodborne, im still trying to figure out what the words to the latin unseen village chant are. "sanguine" is still the only word i can make out tho.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5139 on: April 27, 2015, 05:04:17 PM »

I heard it's from some bulgarian legend, couldn't track that down

Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 355
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic