Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 02:10:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 533990 times)
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #5240 on: May 17, 2015, 12:31:05 PM »

miyazaki loves to defy expectations with his monsters' genders

that roided out butcher with pecs? yeah that's a chick
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5241 on: May 17, 2015, 02:45:56 PM »

welp theres nothing about rom that suggests male, she's a huge deformed spider/caterpillar creature lol. i guess we all just assumed she was male because "male is the default". rip sexism.

otoh i guess her name sounds masculine (esp because i keep thinking its derived from romulus for some reason).
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5242 on: May 18, 2015, 11:17:09 PM »

At first I thought rom was female because I thought the lady that appeared when you kill her was like, her soul or something.
Also, that reminded me a bit of killing Manus, and then Dusk is there, huh? Kind of the opposite scene, with the dark nightmare of the abyss replaced with the dreamy white light of the lake bottom. Another of those Fromsoft motifs, I suppose!

I wonder if the various chalice dungeon types were initially planned to all have-unique rooms, but they ran out of time, and so decided to stretch whatever content they did have over all four dungeon types.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5243 on: May 19, 2015, 12:15:04 AM »

well yeah, the moonside lake is obviously a nod to the abyss. i mean you even enter it the same way you enter the 4 kings fight.

also the lady who shows up in the cutscene and later in nightmare of mensis is... someone else. bit of a spoiler if you havent beaten the chalices. Wink

I wonder if the various chalice dungeon types were initially planned to all have-unique rooms, but they ran out of time, and so decided to stretch whatever content they did have over all four dungeon types.

its possible seeing as chalice dungeons weren't even in review copies of the game and were patched in with the day 1 patch. they were probably rushed. but then why didnt they do the smarter thing and just reduce the number of dungeons. the main reason why they get so boring  is that there's like a million of them.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 12:27:28 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #5244 on: May 20, 2015, 08:23:12 AM »

Question:

Why is she at the lake?  It never really clicked for me why she would be there?  Is it because once Rom was gone, she was free to emerge?

Side note:

I'm unsure if people know about this, but apparently From has a free King's Field making tool called Sword of Moonlight.  Obviously, it's an old tool, but I hadn't heard of it until yesterday.
SousaVilla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5245 on: May 20, 2015, 08:42:08 AM »

Question:

Why is she at the lake?  It never really clicked for me why she would be there?  Is it because once Rom was gone, she was free to emerge?

Spoilers: I think her ghost is roaming around the areas related to the ritual that creates a newborn. Either mergo is her son with a great one or she also had a baby with a great one and humans are meant to follow in her footsteps (the curse of Yharnam) so she is actually haunting those that attempt to do it again. [end of spoilers]

I have no idea how to do spoiler tags  Embarrassed
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5246 on: May 20, 2015, 09:01:09 AM »

the lore document says its not actually her but a projection of her. i think she wants you to free mergo from the wet nurse. reason why i think this: shes standing outside the boss room in nightmare of mensis crying. once you kill the wet nurse and return to her, she (seemingly?) bows to you then disappears.
SousaVilla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5247 on: May 20, 2015, 09:23:21 AM »

I've always supposed that we killed mergo, not freed him, when we killed the wet nurse. You even get a third of an umbilical cord after the fight. I think she wants you to kill him and bows after you do, because, just like Arianna, she was probably used by the great ones to give birth to a child and don't have any maternal feelings for him.

DJFloppyFish
« Reply #5248 on: May 20, 2015, 09:31:28 AM »

chalice dungeons are really outstaying their welcome with me. which is great cause i hear the next one my HP is halved  Tired
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #5249 on: May 20, 2015, 03:16:13 PM »

Defiled Watchdog is not nearly as bad as people say
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5250 on: May 20, 2015, 05:08:19 PM »

I think they just had to keep the 4 chalice types because they were rewards for several of the game's branches. They just couldnt go back on em now. They probably had to push to make as much content as possible for it in the time they had left.

Maybe theyre gonna add more content to the chalice dungeons as an extra to DLC thats otherwise the usual extra areas/bosses. I could imagine this being some additional incentive. Maybe it'll be in the form of things you activate by using special ritual materials only found in the new DLC area. You could still share those dungeons, and itd serve as some sort of demo thing for some of the new enemies I suppose for people without the DLC.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5251 on: May 20, 2015, 05:56:28 PM »

if there were 3 dungeons per region (upper, lower and root), maybe with pthumeru ihyll tacked on a "final" dungeon it'd be fine. id prefer less content over endless samey dungeons (and from what ive seen most ppl agree with me on this).

also like i said itd be rad if the entrances to them were actually in yharnam, but you could still access them from the tombstone once you've found the entrance. would help make them feel less disconnected from the main game. theyre supposed to be a big labyrinth of catacombs and ruins under the city, right?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 06:01:42 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #5252 on: May 20, 2015, 09:36:31 PM »

i could've seen the chalice dungeons being championed as a great new feature if there were fewer of them with more pronounced differences. as is, it's completely obvious that they're half-baked.

however, i'm still pretty freaking excited that my super high level character will have stuff to do other than endless NG+ cycles. i could see myself just starting up a root dungeon whenever i get the itch to play more
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5253 on: May 21, 2015, 04:16:46 AM »

expansion announced

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5254 on: May 23, 2015, 07:47:54 PM »

patch 1.4 announced. why is this thread dead all of a sudden.

DJFloppyFish
« Reply #5255 on: May 23, 2015, 09:42:55 PM »

i feel bad about patch 1.4 because complainers like me forced from's hand in raising the bullet/vial cap to 600, effectively making them infinite.  Embarrassed

who knows though, it may help make arcane/cannon users more viable builds.

i'm hyped about the DLC. i'm hoping we meet kosm and other mentioned characters.
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #5256 on: May 23, 2015, 09:50:37 PM »

the coop/pvp changes in this new patch sound... strange

i think from was maybe pressured to make the game more forgiving
SousaVilla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5257 on: May 24, 2015, 07:02:32 AM »

Cannon in pve was always viable, unless you're doing something like a cannon only run. You got few shots, yes, but the damage was high enough to compensate.

I don't know about the storage thing. It will reduce farming, but also encourage reckless usage of vials and bullets. This will probably make regain even less important to a bad player like myself. Reducing how many vials you could carry would be better, I guess. 

I liked the chalice dungeon stuff. Not a huge improvement, but will increase the motivation to do them early in the game, even if it's for farming gems and shards.

btw, witch of hemwick = a witches of eastwick reference? I also like how the name of the boss is singular so you don't expect the second one when you enter, unlike the four kings.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5258 on: May 24, 2015, 10:16:37 AM »

i dont get arguments against the vial and bullet storage cap. whenever i come across vial drops when im maxed out, ill use a vial im carrying to generate bullets or heal minor damage then pick up the drop, which means i get the healing/bullets for "free". all it does is save you a little time grinding.

too early to really say anything about the DLC. i mean it was pretty obvious that it was coming seeing as how the game is more or less the ps4's killer app. my personal hope is more room types for the chalices (tho not more chalices pls) and some content that expands on the lore behind byrgenwerth and the church.
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #5259 on: May 24, 2015, 11:17:35 AM »

i hope we see some new stuff setting/lore wise. one of my gripes with bb's story so far is that the world actually feels kinda small. everything goes back to yharnam and the church and it makes the world seem like it isn't inhabited by many people.
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 355
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic