Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:13:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 526623 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5680 on: November 24, 2015, 03:09:16 AM »

uhhh yeah i posted that when i was like 10 minutes into it lol.

yeah it's actually very good and pretty challenging. i was disappointed that it's yharnam at first but it's actually substantially different in layout and just dotted with remixed familiar locations. I like how it branches and I like how there are minibosses (that was one thing vanilla bborne was kinda lacking imo)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5681 on: November 24, 2015, 11:35:34 AM »

this dee el cee is hard as fuck

Edit: not 100% sure yet, but this might actually be a better dlc than Artorias
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 12:52:16 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5682 on: November 24, 2015, 01:14:22 PM »

I think it's overall better than the Artorias DLC. Nicer environments (Royal Woods and Oolacile weren't as phenomenal imo), enemies and weapons/gear. The bosses however, that's where it gets hard for me to decide (leaning a bit towards Artorias here actually). Also, I didn't realize I had beaten the DLC until about fifteen minutes after the final boss fight was over, haha. Regardless, I absolutely loved every minute of it.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5683 on: November 24, 2015, 01:22:40 PM »

Welp yeah artorias had some of the best bosses in the game but so-so level and environment design. Ooalcile is pretty good but the royal wood is based on darkroot basin (not one of the best levels in the vanilla game imo) and those golems just aren't fun to fight. chasm has always seemed like a filler area to me tbh.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5684 on: November 26, 2015, 05:04:39 PM »

I just started playing the ps4 dark souls 2.

60fps is super weird in this game lol.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5685 on: November 26, 2015, 05:26:52 PM »

today i found out that you can stream the ps4's entire audio output through the controller's headphone jack. this is great because my tv's headphone jack is half broken
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5686 on: November 27, 2015, 01:40:03 PM »

today, i found out my ps4 controller has a headphone jack

...seriously, i didn't know that until i read this and said..."what, no way!" and went and checked.

-Fuzzy Spider
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5687 on: November 27, 2015, 04:04:08 PM »

Is it the standard type of jack? IIRC it looked proprietary

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5688 on: November 27, 2015, 04:23:29 PM »

it's a standard jack. the proprietary looking part is the mic jack which you need to plug a headset into the controller and use it for voicechat, which is its main purpose. but you can also just plug any old headphones into it
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5689 on: November 27, 2015, 04:35:20 PM »

Ah sweet. Good to know.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5690 on: November 29, 2015, 11:06:54 PM »

i was staying home with a cold for the last few days and playing bborne pretty much constantly. i find that the setting really starts to weigh down on you under circumstances like that, much moreso than in the other souls games. i mean if you think about it's just this cramped hellhole of a city + equally cramped outskirts and catacombs (with the *slight* exception of hemwick charnel lane) that seems completely cut off from the outside world. other souls games at least had some clues as to what's outside of their largely self contained setting. in bborne those clues are nearly nonexistent. the only escape from this world is via nightmares.

btw there are lore theories that the yharnam you experience is actually just another type of nightmare realm, similar to how the silent hill setting works. in this theory, the intro cutscene would be the player character entering a different "plane" of reality.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #5691 on: November 30, 2015, 12:30:04 AM »

Yeah I think one thing Bloodborne does exceedingly well is create this overwhelming feeling of suffocation. Dark Souls had some tight interior sections, but even the “outdoors” in Bloodborne feels odious and constricting. Dark Souls, despite all of its oppressive challenge, still had wide open areas like Firelink Shrine where the player could breathe a little, but everything in Bloodborne is so tightly wound that it's sometimes hard to breathe at all.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5692 on: November 30, 2015, 06:10:32 AM »

also demon's souls had the nexus as a safe place and some more "open" feeling areas like the shrine of storms or the outdoor parts of level 1-2.

but ya, in bloodborne there are no real "safe spaces". i mean mechanically there are, but not thematically. the hunter's dream is a place where you hear constant strange moans and your only real companion is a doll who is more or less a "robot" programmed to be polite to you. gherman only shows up occasionally and as it turns out, is basically a slave to the elder god that controls the whole thing. oedon chapel is "safe" but is also a creepy and narrow gothic church with a massive eldritch abomination clinging to its outer wall. the messengers are weird zombie creatures and don't exactly exude a sense of comfort either lol.

btw i actually remember on my first bborne playthrough, getting to the little "village" that connects cathedral ward to the yahargul entrance. i was seriously relieved that the game isn't ALL narrow city streets. this gam makes me feel "constrained" like very few others.
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #5693 on: December 01, 2015, 05:35:43 PM »

I remember hearing how the Tower of Latria inspired much of bborne's atmosphere, and I feel now that's especially apparent in the last two areas of the DLC. The research hall and the fishing hamlet made me feel like I was climbing up some kind of twisted Anor Londo/Latria staircase from hell and wading through the murky water of a Valley of defilement exposed to the sky. Absolutely incredible. Also the new weapons and bosses (except for like 2 of them) are great. I think bloodborne's officially my favorite in the series.

Also, I think the voice at the end of the Orphan fight is Oedon.

blocked out some DLC spoilers about areas and cutscenes
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5694 on: December 01, 2015, 05:54:50 PM »

i still prefer dark souls 1 for greater replayability due to many different paths and builds. but i think bborne is the best all around "experience" (including level and combat design) in the series.

ive already said this a hundred times but if dark souls 3 manages to be dks1+bborne it's going to be the ultimate. i would be happy for the series to end after that bc im not sure where else it could go. but we'll see.

oh btw its nice that miyazaki hasn't retired from hands-on gamedev despite being president of from. he's hinted that he already has another project in the pipeline that might be something totally different. that guy's work ethic is insane.
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #5695 on: December 01, 2015, 06:13:05 PM »

yeah, supposedly dark souls 3 is going to be the last souls game. im happy for them to be able to try something new, but im a little worried i wont like it as much, especially if its missing the world building and exploration of souls.  Blink

at the same time though, its exciting af and i know whatever they make will at the very least be fascinating from a distance.  Tiger
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #5696 on: December 01, 2015, 09:41:42 PM »

oh btw its nice that miyazaki hasn't retired from hands-on gamedev despite being president of from. he's hinted that he already has another project in the pipeline that might be something totally different. that guy's work ethic is insane.
Reminds me of the work ethic of another Miyazaki, who until fairly recently personally reviewed every frame of animation for his films.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5697 on: December 02, 2015, 11:04:24 AM »

Kings Field rebirth

DJFloppyFish
« Reply #5698 on: December 05, 2015, 10:06:29 PM »

dark souls 3 extended gameplay footage thingy, don't watch if you don't want enemy/location spoilers i guess

what happens is pretty breathtaking, even by Souls standards. didn't think i could be surprised like this again. dark souls 3 is gonna be amazing
JWK5
« Reply #5699 on: December 06, 2015, 09:32:42 AM »

He beat them by playing Dark Souls with a Guitar Hero guitar...
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 355
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic