Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1074010 Posts in 44027 Topics- by 36030 Members - Latest Member: Olivererkuk

December 21, 2014, 04:37:38 PM
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Dark Souls II
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 227
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Dark Souls II  (Read 241395 times)
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

tomek_grochowiak@op.pl
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1140 on: November 25, 2012, 08:07:11 AM »

Anor Londo done! Very cool level. It's nice to finally have some space to move around, especially after the Sen Fortress. Defeated Ornstein and Smough on the first attempt. They are either overrated or I'm overleveled. Standing between their legs and pummeling their balls was enough to kill them without the risk of getting hit. Fun fight either way.  
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 08:21:38 AM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCubeBlog | Twitter | Facebook
Boud
Level 0

They try to kill ya everytime...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1141 on: November 25, 2012, 08:37:06 AM »

Damn seeing this topic made me wanna buy the DLC again... too bad it's overpriced Sad
Anyone here playing it right now ?

Such an amazing game, one of the few games whose innards i have seen this year and one of the best experiences in my gaming "career" (so to speak  Gentleman)
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: November 25, 2012, 12:48:25 PM »

If you kill ornstein first, it's not so bad. if you kill him last, though, it's pretty fucking hard.

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

tomek_grochowiak@op.pl
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1143 on: November 25, 2012, 01:06:32 PM »

I killed Smough first, as I think it allows you to get Ornstein's armor later. He was also easier to kill. Ornstein alone was a joke. Didn't hit me a single time and I wasn't even dodging or paying attention. Basically the same strategy works here as with most DkS bosses -- you can stay between his legs and he won't be able to hit you. All his attacks, including that downward spear strike, landed behind my back. And when he jumped back, I just closed the distance again.

It kinda sucks when you think about it. Since I learned that trick on Gargoyles, I haven't died a single time in a boss battle (except for Capra).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 01:36:42 PM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
Boud
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1144 on: November 25, 2012, 01:46:01 PM »

Indeed you get his armor that way (wich is better than smough's) and you can get a special lightning spear If I remember correctly. You're playing alone or coop for the bosses ? Because I did die the first time alone in that boss fight, wasn't prepared or leveled enough anyway.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

tomek_grochowiak@op.pl
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1145 on: November 25, 2012, 01:53:56 PM »

I play alone. I'm probably a bit over-leveled due to having some fun in the forest, though. On one hand, I was hit only once or twice, so it shouldn't really matter. On the other, maybe I was hit only once or twice precisely because I could kill them rather fast. Hard to say.

Tom Grochowiak
Boud
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1146 on: November 25, 2012, 02:27:04 PM »

Well you could be skilled , what class/build are you playing ?
You mean you leveled up using those "mobs" in the forest or did you join the covenant and hunt other players ?

Damn talking about it makes me wanna play it all over again, please a discount on the dlc  Beg
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

tomek_grochowiak@op.pl
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1147 on: November 25, 2012, 02:48:17 PM »

Both hunted other players and have been hunted as a human. Even wrote about it just a few posts above. Playing a faith build with Divine Claymore/Zweihander.

I think I'm averagely skilled at this point. I have some experience from Demon's Souls and other similar games, so my build is pretty efficient and I mostly know what I'm doing, but most PvPers I meet are still significantly better. There's no skill in getting close to a monster and mashing R1, though. It's just a matter of knowing it works.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 03:24:21 PM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
Boud
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1148 on: November 25, 2012, 02:56:23 PM »

Yes demon's souls/dark souls are mostly about skill (In PVP at least, against monster you just have to be careful), even if there are exploits and some builds are too strong. You're using those AEO miracles I suppose (the one that slows down ennemies was too strong when the game launched, the wrath of gods is still good though)
I played a strenght build for a first character, but I ended up using a lightning weapon most of the time  Facepalm , you do get very strong weapons later on. I did a faith build second, enjoyed it a lot. Never did try the agility builds with katanas, they seem pretty powerful in PVP.

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1149 on: November 25, 2012, 03:00:22 PM »

You were lucky if you managed to avoid thunder butt though. Actually I'm in O&S right now and tried your method for big Orn and it seems to work, though not as well with katana (swings easily between his legs).

For me it is the first part which is tough though. If you can deal damage quickly or it is ranged it gets much easier though.

C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: November 25, 2012, 03:03:40 PM »

I think I'm averagely skilled at this point. I have some experience from Demon's Souls and other similar games, so my build is pretty efficient and I mostly know what I'm doing, but most PvPers I meet are still significantly better. There's no skill in getting close to a monster and mashing R1, though. It's just a matter of knowing it works.
no i think you just have good reflexes

either that or my reflexes are terrible haha

Boud
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1151 on: November 25, 2012, 03:10:28 PM »

Anyway you should endorse in more jolly cooperation ! Hunting other players is not nice !

I had good reflexes back on Demon's souls with the skeletons from level 4 (you kinda find those in the catacombs in dark souls) but now I think i'm too rusty from playing games that play themselves. I have to go back to DS.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

tomek_grochowiak@op.pl
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1152 on: November 25, 2012, 03:53:35 PM »

no i think you just have good reflexes
I dunno. I really just stayed there and took swings at their balls. No reflexes involved. I might just have been lucky too -- if Ornstein has some AoE attack, he never used it. Then again, same strategy worked for almost every boss and/or big creature I encountered so far. Sometimes with the caveat of having to step back if they prepare some AoE or adjust their position. It got to the point where even my girlfriend noticed the bosses are kinda boring. Oh look, a giant. Better get between its legs and swing at its butt. Oh, an Iron Golem. Gotta get between his legs and swing at his butt. Oh, giant knights. Those must be tough. I better get between their legs. A gargoyle? Can't reach me if I'm right under his butt. And then the same thing with O & S. My character is a slut! I'm going for Sif now. Guess what strategy I'm gonna try :D.

Another thing that works is getting very close to the enemy and start circling around it, striking a few times when they miss an attack. The Monster Hunter way. Worked for Gaping Dragon, Queelag, Drakes, Giant Felines, Mushroom Daddies, Knights -- basically all enemies that are not tall enough to have a safe spot below their asses.

Quote from: Boud
You're using those AEO miracles I suppose (the one that slows down ennemies was too strong when the game launched, the wrath of gods is still good though)
Haven't used Tranquil Walk of Peace as I've heard it pisses other players off. Just unlocked Wrath of Gods but haven't used it yet. So far, I've been using only the default Heal and Lightning Spear, which are not PvP viable but make progression a bit easier. Especially as I have no other projectile weapon. So my character plays like a Strength or Quality build, only with a Divine weapon instead of +15 plus spell buff.

Anyway you should endorse in more jolly cooperation ! Hunting other players is not nice!
Nah, they know what they are getting into staying in the forest in human form. It's fun for both sides. Tried some co-op early in the game, when my SL was low enough to get me summoned more often. It was fun, but it's kinda hard to get summoned in later areas. I may try with Anor Londo, though. I guess it also should get better with NG+.

Quote from: Tumetsu
Actually I'm in O&S right now and tried your method for big Orn and it seems to work, though not as well with katana (swings easily between his legs).
Yeah, I missed some hits as well. Try to untarget him and attack his legs. Makes camera less wobbly too.

For me it is the first part which is tough though. If you can deal damage quickly or it is ranged it gets much easier though.
That's where I think my extra levels made the difference. The only times I was hit were when I attacked Smough and Orn managed to reach me from behind. Being able to sustain those blows and kill Smough fast enough definitely helped. Divine Claymore +7 at 30 Faith makes quick work of bosses when two handed. It actually even manages to stun them sometimes.

Tom Grochowiak
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: November 25, 2012, 07:26:13 PM »

what level were you at? you should be 50-60

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Raptor85
Level 2

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1154 on: November 25, 2012, 10:23:09 PM »

sometimes you get lucky or unlucky in boss fights too, for O&S super ornstein will often spam his "but smash" move inhereted from smough, but with a HUGE lightning damage radius around him that will often instant kill you if you try to hang out under him, 4k is the same, trying to stand there and tank works often but sometimes they spam the grab move back to back which will kill you if you dont back off, if you leveled a lot of vit early that helps as well, especially when you're still low level enogugh that a lightning or other elemental weapon is better than anything that would scale with your stats.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

tomek_grochowiak@op.pl
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1155 on: November 25, 2012, 11:21:13 PM »

Could be it. I wonder how it'll go in NG+ if I ever get the time to play it again. Especially as I don't really plan to level much from where I am.

Quote from: Blademasterbobo
what level were you at? you should be 50-60
Said already that I got several levels up from SL55 after killing a 250k souls worth player in PvP. And then stayed in the forest for a while more. I think I was at around SL80 when I killed O&S. With 30 vit and 30 faith. So probably quite above the designated level for that area.

Tom Grochowiak
ink.inc
« Reply #1156 on: November 26, 2012, 12:58:40 AM »

yeah uh most people fight O&S at around... lvl 40
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: November 26, 2012, 04:01:16 AM »

Where are you guys pulling these levels out of?

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1158 on: November 26, 2012, 08:32:56 AM »

Yeah, that Sl explains much. I'm usually SL80 when I complete the game.

Raptor85
Level 2

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1159 on: November 26, 2012, 10:12:27 AM »

Where are you guys pulling these levels out of?
they're the levels most people drop signs to summon or pvp in the area at, you just kinda start to learn them as you play and the forums/chatrooms etc "agree" on them, essentially though they're the level you'd be at if you upgraded your gear and leveled up normally without losing souls or farming at all at that point.  and yeah, 80 is way overlevel for O&S, by SL80 i'm generally around 4k....in NG+.  40-45 is more normal for anor londo, 45 is about average and the best level to be at for pvp there, around 80-100 that's where most people stop leveling so those levels will have high level pvp and summons for ng+, ng2+ and beyond absolutely everywhere in the game.  A lot of people rush it early for the lordvessel too, so you'll also find a lot of people around sl20 in anor londo, not as many as around 45 though.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 227
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic