Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1057084 Posts in 42936 Topics- by 34883 Members - Latest Member: PTlGhOsT

October 24, 2014, 08:15:39 PM
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Dark Souls II
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 224
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Dark Souls II  (Read 217410 times)
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile Email
« Reply #1340 on: December 13, 2012, 09:49:31 AM »

p.s. idk where this that the game doesn't explain stats came from. just press select on your status screen or any item description screen and presto
It tells you what they do in general, but not the really important aspects of how they work.
Like how much damage does 1 point of str/dex/fth/int add to your weapon if applicable?  How much does 1 point of fth/int improve your magic adjustment?  What spells DO scale with magic adjustment in the first place, and in what way?

And good luck figuring out for yourself how much DEF you need to reduce x amount of damage, and thus how much that piece of armor is worth to you.  Tongue

Durr...? I hate playing games that way, personally.

I like how you just wear whatever looks cool/weighs less/has more DEF in Dark Souls. I didn't need to know if str was making my sword do 2 extra damage, I was just swinging my sword around and killing shit.

Minmaxing is more important for PvP I suppose, and I never got around to that
It's less about mix-maxing and more about being able to make an informed decision about using just about anything in a stat-based game.

Like deciding if going to extreme effort to acquire a sword that has 100 more 'attack points' is worth it or not.  It's not fun at all to find out '100 attack points' translates into only 10 more damage or something only after you've wasted your time getting/making it.

For example in Dark Souls, you need to increase your def in increments of 100 to even really notice a difference.  And even that difference is only a teeny sliver.  Lips Sealed
flowerthief
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1341 on: December 13, 2012, 08:03:31 PM »

It's a bit like Monster Hunter in that regard. That game had absolutely no stats or levels and yet a player with a hammer was completely different from one using dual blades or lance.

Someone is talking about me! The die-hard hammer wielder who refuses to switch weapons even when the hammer isn't the best choice on a monster. With my ps3 out of state and Monster Hunter being the closest thing to Dark Souls that you can find on the Wii, I am sure playing that game a lot these days.

Flowerthief\'s Games -- Experiments creating hybrid monsters
nekokoneko
« Reply #1342 on: December 13, 2012, 09:26:41 PM »

I recently played about 70 hours of monsterhunter Tri over 5~ days, man... i fucking love that game.

flowerthief
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1343 on: December 14, 2012, 06:13:14 PM »

^ Yeah, it's addicting as hell. And it has some things in common with Dark Souls, but could probably use some sort of auto-targeting. Especially when swimming you get disoriented easily, and the sea monsters are tough as it is.

Flowerthief\'s Games -- Experiments creating hybrid monsters
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

tomek_grochowiak@op.pl
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1344 on: December 15, 2012, 12:45:43 AM »

Auto-targeting in Monster Hunter?! NEVER!

Haven't played my Monster Hunter Tri in ages. I had mixed feelings about it, though. Loved the fact that I can finally go online co-op with a friend, but it seemed very limited in content after playing the PSP games.

And yeah! Hammer is the way to go!

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCubeBlog | Twitter | Facebook
Nathan Cash
Level 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #1345 on: December 15, 2012, 01:22:44 AM »

That said I've never even played either one  Durr...?

then what the fuck is your point

I was interested to see what y'all thought about that. I mean, what makes this game so special if it does nothing but troll?
John Sandoval
TIGTumblr Editor
Global Moderator
Level 10

big booty 2d cutie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1346 on: December 15, 2012, 02:14:44 AM »

That said I've never even played either one  Durr...?

then what the fuck is your point

I was interested to see what y'all thought about that. I mean, what makes this game so special if it does nothing but troll?

except it doesnt do nothing but troll

read the thread

BRAINGALE
1% inspiration, 99% desperation
Gimym JIMBERT
Level 10

NOTGAMER ludophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1347 on: December 15, 2012, 08:18:17 AM »

Monster souls or dark hunter?

ILLOGICAL, random guy on internet, do not trust (lelebæcülo dum borobürükiss)
AshfordPride
« Reply #1348 on: December 15, 2012, 08:48:11 AM »

Holy shit, I've never found this many people who use the hammer.  I thought I was alone.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

tomek_grochowiak@op.pl
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1349 on: December 15, 2012, 09:06:06 AM »

My friend who played MH Tri with me, and for whom it was the first encounter with the series, also picked the hammer. I think hammer is actually pretty user friendly. Only slightly less powerful than the greatsword, but you can run around with it, and even charge it while running. And once you become good and can strike the monster's head consistently, the stun is a big help too.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCubeBlog | Twitter | Facebook
AshfordPride
« Reply #1350 on: December 15, 2012, 09:45:13 AM »

- Edge says they were shown a 10 minute playthrough of Dark Souls 2, and it is a huge step forward graphically. It looks on par with Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313 in terms of "next-gen"-ness, or so they claim.

- Miyazaki is not working on the development of Dark Souls 2. He is not a director or producer, and is merely a "supervisor".

- Even as a supervisor, he isn't making any development decisions. He only tried to reinforce the team's commitment to releasing things on time, because of the bad experience they had with the patches in Dark Souls, and he also recommended the return to server-based gameplay ala Demon's Souls.

- The new directors, Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura, are indeed the From Software staff who previously directed the Another Century's Episode series. The decision to have the two directors replace Miyazaki was a company decision made by both From Software and Namco Bandai Games to help move the series forward in a fresh direction.

- Miyazaki is working full time on directing a new game. He will not disclose if it is a new IP or a sequel to something else.

- Darks Souls 2 will be a direct sequel, and have an open world of about the same size, but more dense with content.

- It does not take place on Lordran. The name of the world is the key of the story, they will reveal it at a later date.

- One thing Shibuya wants to enhance is the action in the game. He feels that he can contribute because of his experience working on action games in the past.

- Shibuya says he wants to make things like the Covenant system clearer and more accessible, and he wants to make the story and messaging less subtle.

- He promises there will still be "hidden" elements in the story and world which can be missed.

- Development started in September last year, and was done in parallel with some of the Dark Souls patches and DLC content.

- The game is 25% complete, and the team is substantially larger than Dark Souls. The world creation internal staff for the sequel is nearly double that of the first game.

- The game might not make it for 2013.

- They showed a fat grotesque creature, which Shibuya said was the result of the fusing of different creatures by a mad scientist character in the game, like Frankenstein.

- Another new enemy is a Nazgul-like black rider, who apparently serves as an executioner of evil doers. Shibuya confirms there is some sort of morality system in the game.

(This is from the EDGE article, via neogaf, not me being a douche again.)

Also look at these lil' guys.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 10:24:49 AM by Samtagonist » Logged
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1351 on: December 15, 2012, 11:13:13 AM »

Shibuya says he wants to make things like the Covenant system clearer and more accessible, and he wants to make the story and messaging less subtle.
Depending on what this will mean worries me a bit, though I guess some people would like to know a bit more what there is going on in the game...

One thing Shibuya wants to enhance is the action in the game. He feels that he can contribute because of his experience working on action games in the past.
I'm not sure what to make about it this...

Still, too little information to get too worried though. Concept art looks great anyway.

“I personally am the sort of person who likes to be more direct than subtle,” he tells us. “[Dark Souls II] will be more straightforward and more understandable.” We [article writer] sympathise if that sort of statement concerns you, but at the same time, we can surely agree that we would all like to see Dark Souls attain as great a presence as The Elder Scrolls. How it gets there is a worthy matter for debate, but it’s certainly a noble task.
Undecided
http://www.edge-online.com/news/introducing-edge-249-dark-souls-ii-unveiled/
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 12:13:14 PM by Tumetsu » Logged

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile Email
« Reply #1352 on: December 15, 2012, 11:33:49 AM »

inb4 minimaps, quest markers, and no stamina bar.  Sad
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1353 on: December 15, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »

Don't forget action filled "epic" 1 vs 20 battles with combo counters and cinematic storytelling  Wink

I also read that Miyazaki was disappointed for not having greater role in DkSII.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #1354 on: December 15, 2012, 01:50:32 PM »

only thing that disappointed me in that article was the release date. seems like it won't be out until 2014. damn.
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: December 15, 2012, 02:07:55 PM »

btw guys, when he says action games, he means the mech games he worked on.
so there probably wont be anything like the action game you're imagining.

also since they're mech games, you probably cant derive much from that anyway. the another century's episode games are still more based on spatial control than combos anyway.

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1356 on: December 15, 2012, 02:10:21 PM »

Good point. Besides Miyazaki had also worked on mecha games before Souls.

HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: December 15, 2012, 02:20:50 PM »

if anything, it's frustrating to find what the director did besides ace because there's another person with the same name except they worked at capcom around the same period so it's unlikely that it's the same person.

welp, i guess if anything, the director just worked on ace.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 02:30:51 PM by kummerspeck » Logged

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: December 15, 2012, 03:51:51 PM »

the covenants are impossible to 100% figure out without a wiki, and the main pvp one being so hidden was stupid, so that doesn't sound too bad

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Noir Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Raptor85
Level 2

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1359 on: December 15, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »

the covenants are impossible to 100% figure out without a wiki, and the main pvp one being so hidden was stupid, so that doesn't sound too bad
I stumbled on all of them but princess guard my first few times through the game without the wiki (i never thought to talk to gwenevere again after getting the lordvessel), so no, they're not "impossibly" hidden, they're hidden in ways that any reasonable player would eventually try anyways.  For instance, my second playthrough I was wondering why the lordvessel my first time only unlocked THREE of the four lord areas, and why 4k wasn't locked at the start like all the others were, so I attempted it early....and was absolutely SHOCKED at how it kinda "branched" the game when you did that, I don't remember ever stumbling across such a cool secret since the doom and duke3d days, I hate it when games feel the need to hold my hand and make sure I see absolutely everything, takes all the flavor out of discovering stuff like this yourself.  Most memorable covenant to find though was definitely the dragon one, I stumbled on ash lake and the great hollow making my standard "mimic-check" and have to say i was blown away by it, i wasn't expecting to find something like that down there, most other people I've seen find it have pretty much said the same thing, finding stuff like that  that you didn't really expect is part of what made dark souls so memorable and not just "yet another action rpg"
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 224
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic