Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

998174 Posts in 39144 Topics- by 30553 Members - Latest Member: drako30

April 18, 2014, 12:06:25 AM
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Dark Souls II
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 245
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Dark Souls II  (Read 141314 times)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1860 on: April 12, 2013, 11:39:25 AM »

I beat Seath the Scaleless last night. I ran up to him and just applied brute force to him while spamming my 20 Estus drank... ended up getting cursed right when he died haha. Cry
Rabbit
Level 10

i can do what i want

TheRabbitInferno
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1861 on: April 12, 2013, 11:50:29 AM »

I like a minimalist HUD for games like these.. ICO was nice for that.

The combat itself isn't amazing

Well ICO had no gear, stats, magic, bars, or anything to manage or be mindful of at any given time other than "hit the black thing with a stick" so you can't really compare.

And GUH. You're insane! The combat in Souls is like the absolute best fantasy medievil game of all time. If the combat wasn't so solid and just beautiful the game wouldn't be anything at all.

put on these sunglasses or start eatin that trashcan
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1862 on: April 12, 2013, 11:53:43 AM »

Yeah, the combat really is incredible in this game. Everything feels very deliberate, if that makes sense.
C.A. Sinner
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: April 12, 2013, 11:59:01 AM »

seath's crystal attack doesn't hit you if you stand right in front of him iirc.

i like the large hud. for me the hud is actually an important part of the aesthetics of a game and i don't think it's intrusive at all.

i'm not sure about absolute best combat system but its very good. severance: the blade of darkness had similar (and probably more challenging) combat but lacked the atmosphere imo. there's also monster hunter which d souls has a quite a few things in common with combat-wise.

like i said, i really think the combination of mechanics + atmosphere is what makes the game. the harshness of the world, bizarre enemies, almost complete lack of cutscenes, and the often "non-gamey" feel of the level design make it very immersive and give the gameplay more "weight" so to speak. conversely the deliberate nature of the combat, high punishment on death, slow exploration etc. enhance the atmosphere and make me take the setting more seriously than i otherwise would.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 12:13:08 PM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1864 on: April 12, 2013, 12:11:26 PM »

I like that the characters feel very heavy and the combat is awkward at times. Reminds me of the Excalibur movie:

Lots of games with melee combat tend to feel really floaty.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile Email
« Reply #1865 on: April 12, 2013, 12:19:42 PM »

I liken it to "Soul Calibur meets Punch-Out!". It almost makes me wish more fighting games had roaming maps, or something. Just after starting DkS, I had a dream about a KoF Southtown rendition of it, just for kicks. If GTA could get a decent, solid combat and player-crossover system in it, it could almost be this.

nekokoneko
« Reply #1866 on: April 12, 2013, 01:01:35 PM »

Play some bushido blade yo.
Rabbit
Level 10

i can do what i want

TheRabbitInferno
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1867 on: April 12, 2013, 01:42:31 PM »

Bushido Blade, and Monster Hunter aren't the same kind of games, so the combat can't be compared.

Also Bushido Blade has a lot of totally broken stuff in it.

nekokoneko
« Reply #1868 on: April 12, 2013, 01:52:41 PM »

Was refering to baconman, whatevs.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1869 on: April 12, 2013, 02:01:14 PM »

Darkroot Garden
John Sandoval
Cpt. Dum
Global Moderator
Level 10

get mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1870 on: April 12, 2013, 02:02:31 PM »

omg

Rabbit
Level 10

i can do what i want

TheRabbitInferno
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1871 on: April 12, 2013, 02:42:18 PM »

dark souls pvp

Nuprahtor
Level 2

Drunk on the Moon

View Profile Email
« Reply #1872 on: April 12, 2013, 02:48:40 PM »

Faust06
Level 3

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: April 12, 2013, 03:22:20 PM »

almost complete lack of cutscenes, and the often "non-gamey" feel of the level design make it very immersive and give the gameplay more "weight" so to speak.

I agree, deserves full praise just for avoiding trite fluff.

Well ICO had no gear, stats, magic, bars, or anything to manage or be mindful of at any given time other than "hit the black thing with a stick" so you can't really compare.

I'm not suggesting DS could/should work without any hud whatsoever (which was pretty much the case with ICO), just a more restrained one, within reason. ICO is just the nicest example of clutter being removed from the screen. You could have the d-pad icons displayed on a slimmer, horizontal menu (much like the start menu), or have more transparency.

And GUH. You're insane! The combat in Souls is like the absolute best fantasy medievil game of all time. If the combat wasn't so solid and just beautiful the game wouldn't be anything at all.

Of course it's great compared to any other medievil fantasy game, by simple virtue that it's not terrible. Combat is straightforward in practice, even with stamina and encumberence taken into account-- block, then strike.. or parry, then strike.. or roll, then strike.. repeat. I can commend it for forcing me to be careful, but not for variety (the combat that is).

That's being hard on it, I know. While 3rd person hack'n'slashers in general tend to be repetitive, most don't offer the option to block, offer a multitude of combos, and lots of crowd control pressure... it's a faster pace.
C.A. Sinner
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: April 12, 2013, 03:26:32 PM »

i actually think it's great that there isn't a "multitude of combos" because having to learn move lists is like one of my top 5 least favorite things in games.

Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 245
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic