Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1038257 Posts in 41956 Topics- by 33580 Members - Latest Member: Ziz

September 02, 2014, 08:40:05 AM
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Dark Souls II
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 295
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Dark Souls II  (Read 195713 times)
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1935 on: April 21, 2013, 01:29:06 PM »

trap them is a game for the hipster man

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Noir Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Bandages
« Reply #1936 on: April 21, 2013, 03:11:40 PM »

What do you mean you don't need to parry? That's flat-out wrong, so pls to explain
J-Snake
Level 10

a fool with a tool is still a fool

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1937 on: April 21, 2013, 04:28:04 PM »

Counter followed after block and outmaneuvering suffice. It's too simple, there is no depth.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.

Super Metroid Tournament: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=38039.0

TrapThem: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=222597670
Glyph
Level 9

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: April 21, 2013, 04:29:34 PM »

Risk/reward. Block stun. Stamina bar.

Try out my games!
C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: April 21, 2013, 04:34:05 PM »

What do you mean you don't need to parry? That's flat-out wrong, so pls to explain
i almost never parry and have completed the game several times lol

i don't do pvp though

nekokoneko
« Reply #1940 on: April 21, 2013, 04:52:32 PM »

j-snake, what games do a better job at forcing/rewarding all the different aspects of the combat to get used? I'm actually curious on this because for the most part I find darksouls pretty good at motivating the player to use the tools within the game. Although i guess the soul bonus from backstabs rules out the need to gain them from parrying, perhaps rewarding that some more. I think damage on some weapons scales better from parrys? And it allows for more opportunities to attack. In a mix/max situation you'll find a lot of the best players like vegeta will parry a lot because it gets the job done faster, at which point you could make your argument about backstabing.

I'd say a better example of a lack of depth would be Darksiders as the starting combos and occasional dodging are more than enough to get you through the game effeciently, i could check a speedrun but im almost sure theres no motivation in the game at all to use the majority of the combos.

I think the min/max angle is more ideal to seeing what is really rewarded in a games design.
Bandages
« Reply #1941 on: April 21, 2013, 05:13:07 PM »

i almost never parry and have completed the game several times lol

i don't do pvp though

Parrying is the only way I beat the Black Knights in my first playthrough.

I guess the point is it's really myopic to say "The only way you can experience this game is the way I did"
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: April 21, 2013, 05:18:08 PM »

jsnake thinks that god of war has better combat mechanics

just ignore him, he's an idiot

i don't get why he has to bring up his retarded views every 20 pages or so. guy's just lacking attention lately i guess

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Noir Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Gimym JIMBERT
Level 10

NOTGAMER ludophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1943 on: April 21, 2013, 11:30:00 PM »

j-snake think go has less depth than chess because it only have one piece Shocked (paraphrasing the debate)

ILLOGICAL, random guy on internet, do not trust (lelebĉcülo dum borobürükiss)
J-Snake
Level 10

a fool with a tool is still a fool

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1944 on: April 22, 2013, 02:44:38 AM »

Beat God of War 3 on hardest, then you can talk.

Quality of combat gameplay is not just the potential of a concept, it is also the composition of all elements into an actual challenge. If the created challenge is full of one-dimensional exploits it becomes dull.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.

Super Metroid Tournament: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=38039.0

TrapThem: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=222597670
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1945 on: April 22, 2013, 04:04:36 AM »

What a great game! I wish the ending was a bit longer, though.

Which one?  Well, hello there!

http://www.klaimsden.net | Game : NetRush | Digital Story-Telling Technologies : Art Of Sequence
nekokoneko
« Reply #1946 on: April 22, 2013, 09:25:19 AM »

Beat God of War 3 on hardest, then you can talk.

Quality of combat gameplay is not just the potential of a concept, it is also the composition of all elements into an actual challenge. If the created challenge is full of one-dimensional exploits it becomes dull.

Yo bro, address my questions otherwise its not even a discussion T_T
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1947 on: April 22, 2013, 12:11:33 PM »

I don't know about GoW 3, but I remember the combat in the first two GoW games being super dull. Lots of mashing and unfun QTE finishing moves.

What I love about Dark Souls is that the combat is more deliberate and the stakes are higher. It feels slower, but it's much more exciting to me than whipping away 50 harpies with ultra combos. Also, very little is scripted, so you can really use timing and environments creatively. You're talking about exploits like they're a bad thing... I think it's awesome to figure out an exploit that isn't some totally scripted thing. And even when you have your plan down, it's not like you just do it and it works out.

Watch some DS videos... even really experienced players are like "WTF?!" all the time because there's so much that can go right or wrong during battles based on small details like positioning, environment, character build, etc.

And that's just the combat - there are million other reasons why DS is more interesting than GoW gameplay-wise. In the end, GoW is just putting you in one gladiator battle after another with some barely interactive movies in-between. Which is fine, if that's what you're looking for. But it's not nearly as interesting as DS (in my humble opinion).
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: April 22, 2013, 12:26:47 PM »

I will say that combat in the Gods of War series is a very different experience on the hardest difficulties.  Button mashing is no longer a viable strategy, and parrying and evasion become much more important. 

That being said, I'm not sure that it even makes sense to compare the combat systems.  They are both aiming for such different things, that it's almost without meaning to compare the two.

And as Derek says, ignoring combat, DS is just a much more interesting and rich game than GoW.
C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: April 22, 2013, 12:55:04 PM »

Watch some DS videos... even really experienced players are like "WTF?!" all the time because there's so much that can go right or wrong during battles based on small details like positioning, environment, character build, etc.
the main problem i had when i first played demon's souls was that i tried to approach it like a normal modern action game. took a few deaths to realize that wouldn't work lol.

also there are a million linear action games with sweeping melee attacks, combos and qte finishers like god of war but there are very few games that play anything like d* souls.

Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 295
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic