Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1055083 Posts in 42843 Topics- by 34754 Members - Latest Member: whereisgj

October 19, 2014, 08:23:58 PM
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Dark Souls II
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 223
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Dark Souls II  (Read 216002 times)
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2060 on: May 10, 2013, 08:17:53 AM »

About NG+7 thanks for the info, I'm ready to tackle NG++ so I didn't knew it would become a bad strategy in long term. That being said I think Dark Souls 2 will be out before I reach NG+7 but year maybe I will have a bad time. And maybe that's what I'm looking for  Evil

About the roll, indeed I'm fatrolling and have been working on incrementing endurance for some time without much results because obviously after 160+ levels it's a bit slower and boring to grind. Anyway I never managed to not fat-roll with this set, maybe because I also have another ultra-great-sword equiped (just in case) and the very big bow, the one from Hawk something. So yeah I'm fat-heavy.

For some reasons I can't help but go with this, each time I try other styles I get bored. So I make my current character learn a bit about other stuffs like magic, so that I can have a feel of it but I don't think I will do another kind of character.

I guess I'm such a fan of Gut's one-hit-kill-with-a-giant-not-really-a-sword attack that I want to do the same.  Evil

http://www.klaimsden.net | Game : NetRush | Digital Story-Telling Technologies : Art Of Sequence
Faust06
Level 4

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: May 10, 2013, 11:33:29 AM »

Just finished my first run through last night. Quite a bit of fun, starting NG+, not sure what else to consider aside from diversifying leveling stats a bit. It will take a backseat until I finish bioshock infinite though.

Never had an issue with the archers, though I was never overburdened. Isn't havel's ring enough, or at worst, switch armor to get through? I wonder if you can time the shots such that you can turn around to block each one when running to one archer.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2062 on: May 10, 2013, 02:56:36 PM »

If you read my previous messages you will find that I have no problem with the archers with havel's armor, we were just discussing that in this case the strategy would just be different than if you have lighter armor.

http://www.klaimsden.net | Game : NetRush | Digital Story-Telling Technologies : Art Of Sequence
Faust06
Level 4

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: May 11, 2013, 12:07:11 PM »

That's what I'm questioning. I don't see the point in bothering that bit overburdened unless as a challenge for its own sake.
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile Email
« Reply #2064 on: May 11, 2013, 03:40:56 PM »

Yeah I know, to me being that overburdened is less of a difficulty issue and more of a 'wow this is painfully boring to travel somewhere' issue.  Tongue
C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: May 11, 2013, 03:50:58 PM »

ya i couldnt imagine playing the game with over 50% equip burden. but whatever floats your boat i guess.

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2066 on: May 11, 2013, 05:08:24 PM »

That's what I'm questioning. I don't see the point in bothering that bit overburdened unless as a challenge for its own sake.

I don't know, I find it easier to play with, personally. I don't have to jump around avoiding hits, I just take them with almost no damage. I just wait for an opening then hit and the thing in front just die. Most of the time.

It's not particularly hard. Maybe a little slower to progress sometimes.

Indeed it's certainly a style issue.

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile Email
« Reply #2067 on: May 11, 2013, 05:14:03 PM »

Yeah I guess it's totally style.  I also didn't know it was possible to 'take almost no damage' in this game.  Tongue

Glad to see the game accommodates so many play styles!  Tears of Joy
vinheim3
Level 4

vinheim3
View Profile Email
« Reply #2068 on: May 11, 2013, 11:32:33 PM »

You can have extremely high defence, while still be at least midrolling.

Imagine this, but with lower VIT and slightly lighter armour at lower levels.
http://mmdks.com/22ie

This one is even weaker, but at NG, still managed to take almost no damage.
http://mmdks.com/1zn8

They're mostly PvE builds though, but even in PvP, fatrolling is even more of a hindrance.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2069 on: May 12, 2013, 03:55:59 AM »

I should post here my current character stats, it's quite different because I initially focused a lot on strengh.

Faust06
Level 4

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #2070 on: May 12, 2013, 08:14:22 AM »

You can have extremely high defence, while still be at least midrolling.

No defense has ever felt extremely high tbh, but then I barely levelled VIT, just END and STR. I had upgraded black iron helm and armor, with elite knight leggings and wanderer manchete most of the last quarter of the game, and some larger enemies will easily take over a quarter of full health in one hit.

What should I level in NG+?
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2071 on: May 12, 2013, 09:44:06 AM »

Maybe they're just taking a lot of health because your health bar is so small. Leveling at least some VIT is recommended since it adds on to your defense if you have powerful armor (and the RoFAP multiplier). Boosting END a lot doesn't really help your defense that much if you have a high stability shield, so you get diminishing returns from that as it takes a longer time to recharge anyway. It's good to have balanced VIT and END rather than more of one or the other.

You should try starting a completely new file and respec-ing your character. You will progress a lot faster once you are good at the game, especially with the Master Key. There are also more people to fight at lower Soul Level.

C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: May 12, 2013, 10:01:34 AM »

also the ability to survive high falls allows you to use a few shortcuts.

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2073 on: May 12, 2013, 02:20:10 PM »

My character.

C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: May 12, 2013, 02:24:55 PM »

holy strength batman

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2075 on: May 12, 2013, 02:32:28 PM »

Yeah that helps a lot killing in one or two kills most monsters. I initially hesitate as to how to grow the character then decided to first put maximum in strengh and a bit in vitality until I reach strengh 50 and vitality 30. Then I played until I reach the end of NG+ which is where I am now.

SPOILER ALERT

Currently I just farm a bit, try things I find in wikis and in the NG++ I will try the other ending and also try to save Solaire and Catarina because I messed up big time this game.

vinheim3
Level 4

vinheim3
View Profile Email
« Reply #2076 on: May 13, 2013, 12:37:58 AM »

Most stats have diminishing returns past level 40 or 50

Same goes with strength. The Demon's Greataxe build I posted does more damage at less than half the strength.

Anyways, stats are purely cosmetic. Since you're at NG+, you can probably see that you have to rely much more on skill. Only exception is the Four Kings where you need to be doing a lot of damage quickly.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2077 on: May 13, 2013, 02:02:17 AM »

Most stats have diminishing returns past level 40 or 50

Same goes with strength. The Demon's Greataxe build I posted does more damage at less than half the strength.

I learnt that late which is why you can see I started to enhance other stats to try new things a bit. Always end up crushing ennemies with Dragon Tooth though. But just because it's liberating. (I also have Smough's hammer but I don't like the timing of the strong attack)

Anyways, stats are purely cosmetic. Since you're at NG+, you can probably see that you have to rely much more on skill. Only exception is the Four Kings where you need to be doing a lot of damage quickly.

Yeah the game is purely skill (patience and timing mainly) even at this level, I often die dumbly by rushing early ennemies with too much confidence when it's late and I'm tired and getting very dumb.

The 4 kings was a bit hard for me at NG+ for several reasons: 1. you have to be close to one to be able to hit it without taking much damage, but they move fast and with big weapons it means you have a very narrow timing window to hit them 2. Havel's ring is still necessary for me at the moment which mean that I have both ring slots taken by this ring and the Abyss Walker ring. Most of the time I wear another green flower ring which replenish my stamina quickly, so that I can chain heavy attacks. But for this boss I can't.

Also, note that Smough and Orstein are still hard to beat even if they don't deal me any damage while blocking. The problem is that as I am not very mobile, I need to have both attacking from front to take hits in the shield, but Orstein moves a lot and sometime I can get stuck in a corner which prevent me from moving which means death by Smough smashing.
It's easier if you attack at opportunity any of these guys, but it's harder if you try to kill Smough first, because Orstein often endsup hitting you just after you hit Smough, because your move place Orstein in your back.

Anyway, I find it fun this way.

C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: May 14, 2013, 01:29:10 AM »

I recently defeated the 4 kings, after a lot of failed attempts trying to focus on the usual dodge, strike and dodge again boss approach I decided to use Havel's ring and Power Within and started hacking away at them.
Faust06
Level 4

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: May 14, 2013, 09:59:01 AM »

I decided to use Havel's ring and Power Within and started hacking away at them.

That's the way I did it, but it was such a close call the first time trying to defeat them all quickly I figure in NG+ I might have to stick with stamina regen.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 223
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic