Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

999707 Posts in 39242 Topics- by 30653 Members - Latest Member: alexscottheath

April 24, 2014, 09:00:52 PM
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Dark Souls II
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 248
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Dark Souls II  (Read 143942 times)
Faust06
Level 3

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #2070 on: May 12, 2013, 08:14:22 AM »

You can have extremely high defence, while still be at least midrolling.

No defense has ever felt extremely high tbh, but then I barely levelled VIT, just END and STR. I had upgraded black iron helm and armor, with elite knight leggings and wanderer manchete most of the last quarter of the game, and some larger enemies will easily take over a quarter of full health in one hit.

What should I level in NG+?
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2071 on: May 12, 2013, 09:44:06 AM »

Maybe they're just taking a lot of health because your health bar is so small. Leveling at least some VIT is recommended since it adds on to your defense if you have powerful armor (and the RoFAP multiplier). Boosting END a lot doesn't really help your defense that much if you have a high stability shield, so you get diminishing returns from that as it takes a longer time to recharge anyway. It's good to have balanced VIT and END rather than more of one or the other.

You should try starting a completely new file and respec-ing your character. You will progress a lot faster once you are good at the game, especially with the Master Key. There are also more people to fight at lower Soul Level.

C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: May 12, 2013, 10:01:34 AM »

also the ability to survive high falls allows you to use a few shortcuts.

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2073 on: May 12, 2013, 02:20:10 PM »

My character.

http://www.klaimsden.net | Game : NetRush | Digital Story-Telling Technologies : Art Of Sequence
C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: May 12, 2013, 02:24:55 PM »

holy strength batman

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2075 on: May 12, 2013, 02:32:28 PM »

Yeah that helps a lot killing in one or two kills most monsters. I initially hesitate as to how to grow the character then decided to first put maximum in strengh and a bit in vitality until I reach strengh 50 and vitality 30. Then I played until I reach the end of NG+ which is where I am now.

SPOILER ALERT

Currently I just farm a bit, try things I find in wikis and in the NG++ I will try the other ending and also try to save Solaire and Catarina because I messed up big time this game.

http://www.klaimsden.net | Game : NetRush | Digital Story-Telling Technologies : Art Of Sequence
vinheim3
Level 4

vinheim3
View Profile Email
« Reply #2076 on: May 13, 2013, 12:37:58 AM »

Most stats have diminishing returns past level 40 or 50

Same goes with strength. The Demon's Greataxe build I posted does more damage at less than half the strength.

Anyways, stats are purely cosmetic. Since you're at NG+, you can probably see that you have to rely much more on skill. Only exception is the Four Kings where you need to be doing a lot of damage quickly.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2077 on: May 13, 2013, 02:02:17 AM »

Most stats have diminishing returns past level 40 or 50

Same goes with strength. The Demon's Greataxe build I posted does more damage at less than half the strength.

I learnt that late which is why you can see I started to enhance other stats to try new things a bit. Always end up crushing ennemies with Dragon Tooth though. But just because it's liberating. (I also have Smough's hammer but I don't like the timing of the strong attack)

Anyways, stats are purely cosmetic. Since you're at NG+, you can probably see that you have to rely much more on skill. Only exception is the Four Kings where you need to be doing a lot of damage quickly.

Yeah the game is purely skill (patience and timing mainly) even at this level, I often die dumbly by rushing early ennemies with too much confidence when it's late and I'm tired and getting very dumb.

The 4 kings was a bit hard for me at NG+ for several reasons: 1. you have to be close to one to be able to hit it without taking much damage, but they move fast and with big weapons it means you have a very narrow timing window to hit them 2. Havel's ring is still necessary for me at the moment which mean that I have both ring slots taken by this ring and the Abyss Walker ring. Most of the time I wear another green flower ring which replenish my stamina quickly, so that I can chain heavy attacks. But for this boss I can't.

Also, note that Smough and Orstein are still hard to beat even if they don't deal me any damage while blocking. The problem is that as I am not very mobile, I need to have both attacking from front to take hits in the shield, but Orstein moves a lot and sometime I can get stuck in a corner which prevent me from moving which means death by Smough smashing.
It's easier if you attack at opportunity any of these guys, but it's harder if you try to kill Smough first, because Orstein often endsup hitting you just after you hit Smough, because your move place Orstein in your back.

Anyway, I find it fun this way.

C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: May 14, 2013, 01:29:10 AM »

I recently defeated the 4 kings, after a lot of failed attempts trying to focus on the usual dodge, strike and dodge again boss approach I decided to use Havel's ring and Power Within and started hacking away at them.
Faust06
Level 3

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: May 14, 2013, 09:59:01 AM »

I decided to use Havel's ring and Power Within and started hacking away at them.

That's the way I did it, but it was such a close call the first time trying to defeat them all quickly I figure in NG+ I might have to stick with stamina regen.
Raptor85
Level 2

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2080 on: May 15, 2013, 12:08:02 AM »

actually fall damage in dark souls is percentage damage, it just takes a % chunk based on what your equip weight is (the more you're wearing the larger percentage of your MAX health it takes). you can survive the same falls with 10 vit as you can survive at 99 vit, there's a cutoff point however where any falls from above that height are 100% damage fatal.  Naked with 10 vit falls actually do next to no damage to you Smiley.

Rolling when you land the fall also reduces the percentage of health it takes from you.

For stats, there's really no reason to go beyond 50 in any stat (or go beyond 0 in the case of the "resistance" stat...NEVER level res), no reason to go beyond 40 actually unless it's a weapon requirement, or on one of VERY few weapons that dont falloff too badly until then (biggest example is the crystal catalyst, which the ideal stopping point is 50 int), theres really not much reason to go beyond level 125 either, beyond that the online interaction plummets as ~120 is the "meta" for dark souls, it's the general stopping level for most people and where you'll get the most pvp and phantom summons.

For the 4Kings fight, it can be pretty hard with slow swinging heavier weapons as you'll often get hit mid swing, so you really have to stack poise as much as you can but try to keep at least midroll.  Especially NG+ and beyond 4k and gravelord Nito in particular you can no longer really "cheat" them by poise tanking (you "kinda" can in ng+, but not really beyond).  4K does more damage the further from them you are so you want to stay close and juse dodge the swipes as much as possible, when they glow roll back and keep rolling back until their dash stops, then get close again quickly or they'll run ans start shooting homing purple crap that does a ton of damage.  Like most of the bosses 4k is actually a LOT easier with smaller, faster weapons, as it's easier to keep hitting until the last second then dodge, plus faster weapons get more out of weapon buffs as the buff damage is static, it doesnt scale by the weapon, and for 4k you should be using gold resin, sunlight blade, or any other fire or lightning based buff as that's their weakness.  Speed and buffs are the biggest key to taking any boss down quickly and easily in dark souls, a buffed katana or similarly fast weapon easily makes it a "three kings" fight even in later ng+ loops as you kill them so fast you have time to rest between kings and the 4th never has time to spawn!

If anyone is on ps3 and would like to co-op a boss and have me show you my tactics first hand I would be more than happy to as well.

cross-platform rapid development game engine
Currently running a kickstarter to fund development of Aether
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile Email
« Reply #2081 on: May 15, 2013, 05:56:03 AM »

If anyone is on ps3 and would like to co-op a boss and have me show you my tactics first hand I would be more than happy to as well.

It'd be helpful if projectiles and signs stopped being invisible on the PS3, it seriously dampens MP enjoyment.  Tongue
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:47:15 AM by Ben_Hurr » Logged
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: May 15, 2013, 06:03:03 AM »

Oh man I thought that was just me.

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2083 on: May 15, 2013, 08:45:18 AM »

No it's a bug since the last update, it shows only online though, so you can play offline. But then part of the fun is obviously gone. :/ No idea when they will fix it.

C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: May 15, 2013, 12:57:25 PM »

actually fall damage in dark souls is percentage damage, it just takes a % chunk based on what your equip weight is (the more you're wearing the larger percentage of your MAX health it takes). you can survive the same falls with 10 vit as you can survive at 99 vit, there's a cutoff point however where any falls from above that height are 100% damage fatal.  Naked with 10 vit falls actually do next to no damage to you Smiley.
ooooh i didn't know that. would explain why i never died from non-instakill falls. i read some forum post ages ago that said the catacombs shortcut only works if you have high VIT so thats why i assumed the dmg was fixed.

(btw i think it'd actually be more interesting if it was how i thought it was)

Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 248
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic