Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:45:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg Demakes[FINISHED] HEALTHY WAVE (New version Sep. 06)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: [FINISHED] HEALTHY WAVE (New version Sep. 06)  (Read 49024 times)
mildmojo
Level 1

summer rain (soon)

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2008, 04:33:54 PM »

Really? Undecided They do for me. Could you check whether the cache/ subdirectory has any *.hsc files?

I do have those files...  Without going back and testing, I'm wondering if the high scores are per song, and I only played each once?  It could've been my misunderstanding.

it. I've also never used D on Linux, so I can't really give much advice. You did have the relevant DLLs for SDL, SDL_Mixer, SDL_Image etc installed though?

Yeah, the rubygame library I usually use depends on SDL, SDL_image, SDL_gfx, SDL_mixer, and SDL_ttf, so I'm sure I've got those installed.  Looks like I've got libvorbis, too.  Strange.  You're probably using the dmd compiler, I was trying gdc.  I did pop dmd in for a bit and had really terrible results trying to compile anything, but that's probably because I had a mixed dmd/gdc system at that point.

It looks like it would probably port, but I'm not the person to do it.  Wink

DEMAKE compo entry: Road Trip: Southwest USA
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2008, 04:41:52 PM »

Really? Undecided They do for me. Could you check whether the cache/ subdirectory has any *.hsc files?

I do have those files...  Without going back and testing, I'm wondering if the high scores are per song, and I only played each once?  It could've been my misunderstanding.

Yup, that's the thing Smiley Since the durations of the songs differ a lot, it wouldn't make much sense to lump them all together.

Yeah, the rubygame library I usually use depends on SDL, SDL_image, SDL_gfx, SDL_mixer, and SDL_ttf, so I'm sure I've got those installed.  Looks like I've got libvorbis, too.  Strange.  You're probably using the dmd compiler, I was trying gdc.  I did pop dmd in for a bit and had really terrible results trying to compile anything, but that's probably because I had a mixed dmd/gdc system at that point.

It looks like it would probably port, but I'm not the person to do it.  Wink

Hm, yeah, I use dmd, and I think on Linux gdc is generally considered more stable. So, well I don't know; in theory they should be compatible. But I guess it's alright if it works in Wine for now.
increpare
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2008, 06:20:57 PM »

Erm...I've never played the original, and it never really appealed to me that much, and this game didn't do too much for me either  Sad

However, graphically and interface-wise and musically it was solid.  Graphics were quite convincingly retro.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2008, 06:47:24 PM »

Mh. Crap, I guess.

But well, if you didn't like the original (or at least think that you wouldn't like it), I guess it's not too surprising that this doesn't appeal to you either. This is really a pure highscore game; there is no dying, and there is no challenge in finishing the levels since you can just wait them out, so the only gameplay to be had is in trying to get a good score. Some people like this sort of game, some don't.

Though it seems some people play the original just to chill to their music collection, but I guess this doesn't work as well here.
increpare
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2008, 06:51:27 PM »

Maybe I just need some more practice...I don't know :/

(terry had some good suggestions I think; but I'll leave them for him to say in the morrow)
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2008, 02:26:21 AM »

Nice music and nice presentation. I loved the "Pretendo" screen, hehe Smiley

Unfortunately you missed the chance to correct Audiosurf's gameplay problems. It's the same thing, except you can't choose your own music Sad

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2008, 02:30:08 AM »

Unfortunately you missed the chance to correct Audiosurf's gameplay problems. It's the same thing, except you can't choose your own music Sad

Care to elaborate? I have to admit that I haven't played AudioSurf really excessively, just a couple of times. But I liked it.

Also, you can still put your own music into the songs directory.
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2008, 10:29:41 AM »

If you thought Audiosurf was genuinely fun, then there's no problem. If you are an old grumbling man like me, the mp3 visualizer novelty quickly fades away and leaves you with a dull game where you need to collect stuff to create patterns, except the thing you are focusing at (the ship) is between the stuff you collect and the pattern you are trying to make. Also, the game decides where pieces will appear, giving you little chance of actually improving your pattern. You have to decide to take pieces before you know if it's a smart move to take that piece. For instance, if piece A comes in lane 3, how do you tell if there will be more A pieces in lane 3 or adjacent lanes to form a pattern?

In my opinion, Audiosurf would've been a lot more fun if they skipped the puzzle part altogheter. Most of the YouTube clips I've seen actually does this (I don't know what the game mode is called, but in that game mode there are only "good" and "bad" pieces, and no puzzle element).

Demaking this game makes little sense if you don't try to improve the gameplay, since it's hard to re-create novelty.

And finally a disclamer: I don't intend to insult you or complain about your work, but you asked me to be more elaborate. You demade a game which I don't enjoy, and that is not your fault. I think the graphics are great and could be used to make really cool racing game or similar, if you want to.

Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2008, 10:06:13 PM »

I think the only people left playing Audiosurf are lunatics like me. I've probably put in at least 100 hours by now. But I can understand why folks don't like it, if they just play the easy difficulties or mono modes. The criticisms of a dull game and not much game-to-music relation are perfectly valid.
Elite mode seems ridiculous at first, but once you get some practice at it and stop dying repeatedly, you start feeling the zone-out effect and the game and music achieve a cosmic "oneness". Honest.

Anyway, I think this demake is quite fun, but It's pretty rough with no colors. My color detection neurons must now be directly connected to my fingers. And the triangle looks circle-ish.

And kudos for righteously rejecting C++. You must be the coolest D programmer in the world.

azeo
Level 1

Blank slate!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2008, 07:47:52 PM »

This game is automatically better then audiosurf because I can run it. Also, loving the graphics.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2008, 07:51:19 PM »

And kudos for righteously rejecting C++. You must be the coolest D programmer in the world.

Kenta Cho. I think.

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2008, 01:41:58 PM »

Kenta Cho. I think.

Yep, you're right. Actually I read a while back that many of these Japanese shmup developers used D. I'm a bit puzzled as to why it hasn't yet caught on with game developers in the West as much, it's so obviously cleaner and more productive than C++...

Also, uh, thanks, azeo Smiley
increpare
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2008, 02:00:20 PM »

Yep, you're right. Actually I read a while back that many of these Japanese shmup developers used D. I'm a bit puzzled as to why it hasn't yet caught on with game developers in the West as much, it's so obviously cleaner and more productive than C++...
I'll have to add it to my list of languages to develop a game in Smiley (I'm actually guessing that it's similar enough to C++ that I'd be able to convert most small-scale projects from C++ to D without too much trouble).
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2008, 02:32:00 PM »

I'll have to add it to my list of languages to develop a game in Smiley (I'm actually guessing that it's similar enough to C++ that I'd be able to convert most small-scale projects from C++ to D without too much trouble).

Yeah, I guess you would. One thing that tripped me up at first was that its semantics for class objects are closer to Java than C++ in the sense that for a class Foo,
Code:
Foo x;
actually declares a Foo reference x (which is initialized to null); so that takes a bit of getting used to. Though there are also structs which have value semantics as we're used to from C++.

At any rate I wouldn't want to miss its slew of useful features anymore (automatic GC, delegates, a foreach loop, built-in associative arrays, auto-typed variables, insanely powerful meta-programming...).

Also I'd love it if you picked it up because then I'd finally have someone to pester about compiling my games on Mac OS Grin
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 03:08:55 PM by muku » Logged
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2008, 02:43:49 PM »

I think I have no choice but to look into D. Atleast after programming class has ended this year Tongue

mildmojo
Level 1

summer rain (soon)

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2008, 04:00:01 PM »

At any rate I wouldn't want to miss its slew of useful features anymore (automatic GC, delegates, a foreach loop, built-in associative arrays, auto-typed variables, insanely powerful meta-programming...).

Heh, nice.  These are many of the things I love about Ruby.  Python probably fits the bill, too, though I don't have any experience with it.

I'm not stalking you, I swear.

DEMAKE compo entry: Road Trip: Southwest USA
Killbunny
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2009, 05:38:42 PM »

Can you please change the download link.
WillHostForFood is balls.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic