Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 12:16:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingFoam
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Foam  (Read 30639 times)
Stwelin
Level 1

View Profile
« on: June 09, 2012, 04:17:46 PM »

Download: FOAM (v0.1)

Controls:
Gamepad: Left stick to move, right stick to rotate camera.
Keyboard: WASD to move, J+K to rotate camera.

I am so lazy about making games, there was a thread made about it. This is my first game. Dear god, what have I done?

Sorry to you folks who like inverted camera rotation.

I take criticism well, so tear this thing apart. (Be constructive).

edit: Also sorry to Linux and Mac gamers. This is a GAME MAKER CLASSICâ„¢.

edit2: New build available.

Fixes:
Arrow keys control the character as well
Grass texture less noisy
Misc bug fixes

Note: keys J and K now rotate the camera.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 08:45:45 AM by Stwelin » Logged
daGamer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 04:35:04 PM »

Wow! Looks really cool! I like such games.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 04:39:37 PM »

What did I just play?! Shocked This is very strange, like an increpare game .. and I like it. Smiley

I only had 5 minutes to play, but from what I saw it looks good. I did get very lost and when I turned into a spiky mushroom I started to get freaked out a little.

My only criticisms are that
a) it's weird and i have no idea what's happening or where I am (maybe a map would help?),
b) the grass texture is too noisy so the lack of AA makes it very annoying

Stwelin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 04:48:52 PM »

b) the grass texture is too noisy so the lack of AA makes it very annoying

Thanks, my monitor is probably out of whack.
poe
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 04:59:50 PM »

Map is a must. Also maybe some more hints? I became an astronaut and stood on the moon but it didn't do anything...

Very surreal and pretty though.
hackedhead
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 07:14:47 AM »

I am so lazy about making games, there was a thread made about it. This is my first game. Dear god, what have I done?

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to .... recovery?
Success as an indie game dev?
=P
Congrats on a complete game! (finally.) =P

Quote from: Stwelin
edit: Also sorry to Linux and Mac gamers. This is a GAME MAKER CLASSICâ„¢.

D'oh! Guess beggars can't be choosers.

Quote from: Stwelin
I take criticism well, so tear this thing apart. (Be constructive).

Agree about the grass textures, they can be a little jarring.

Can't agree about a map. I think being lost in the woods is an integral part of this adventure (whatever it is....) Huh?

PROGRESS SPOILER:
So I delivered three eggs and turned into a Moon and went to space... and "Two out of three"
So I guess there's more, but i don't know where.

CONTENT COMMENTS (SPOILED):
Moon walking/rotating animation of waxing/waning: <3
Sub walking animation: I like the waggle, but occasionally the degree of it was a little tricky making me think i had turned more than I had. maybe more subtle?
Trees being cut down all over the place: <3
NPCs that talk to me but don't seem to reveal much: huh? (are they distinct from those that do tell me important things in some way I'm missing?)
Stwelin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 07:19:22 AM »

So I delivered three eggs and turned into a Moon and went to space... and "Two out of three"
So I guess there's more, but i don't know where.

The cosmic squiggles are not enumerating your eggs. That's all I will say for now!
ortoslon
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 11:35:10 AM »

i turned gamepad on in the menu but it wasn't mapped correctly (it's a Logitech Precision btw) so the camera kept rotating counterclockwise while i walked around with the d-pad. i've played like that for 10 minutes thinking that was intended, then nauseaquit
Stwelin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 12:48:20 PM »

i turned gamepad on in the menu but it wasn't mapped correctly (it's a Logitech Precision btw) so the camera kept rotating counterclockwise while i walked around with the d-pad. i've played like that for 10 minutes thinking that was intended, then nauseaquit

This happened with my controller once as well. I found that re-plugging it seemed to fix the calibration. Thanks for playing.
ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 02:47:37 PM »

I... think I won? I'm not sure. (mouse-over to see)

Currently brainstorming for a project
DaedalusCoder
Level 0

Make indie with me.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 09:18:17 PM »

WOW. I was really skeptical when I first started controlling my character and I got REALLY confused for the first few minutes. But then I stopped trying to make sense out of everything and started getting the hints. Smiley

This is a masterpiece, but I couldn't finish it yet. Maybe I'll try some more tomorrow.

Some things:
- There was no music on the very first locations, was this intended?
- Some sound effects were way too loud (in my opinion). Like the creatures shooting lightning.
- I didn't know I could rotate my view. Only found that out by reading the other comments here. Maybe squeeze in the key bindings before the game?
- I don't agree with the addition of a map. Would spoil some of the fun...

Really fun game, dude! It be tripping though. lol
Stwelin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 05:05:20 AM »

- There was no music on the very first locations, was this intended?
- Some sound effects were way too loud (in my opinion). Like the creatures shooting lightning.
- I didn't know I could rotate my view. Only found that out by reading the other comments here. Maybe squeeze in the key bindings before the game?
- I don't agree with the addition of a map. Would spoil some of the fun...

There wasn't supposed to be music for the first section, no. I am thinking about adding some light tune there. Thanks for your feedback. I will incorporate info for the control scheme in the next build.

And yes, there are a few different endings and death sequences.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 06:39:55 PM »

I'm really enjoying this game so far.  The world is bizarre and colorful enough to keep me wanting to explore and find out what's down each path, and I like the lines of dialogue the characters have.  Haven't made that much progress solving the puzzles yet, but I'll probably come back to the game later (speaking of which, as save feature would be nice.).

artemis999
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 06:31:53 AM »

Wow, this is one of the strangest games I've played in a long time... It begins in a very confusing and bizarre way but after a while you get totally immersed in that strange world. There were times when the game got frustrating, when I died and had to start all over again, but the mystery surrounding this world kept me playing. Congratulations on a wonderful game.

And now...could anybody tell me what the cosmic strings do? I've found all 3 of them but I can't seem to figure out what to do next. And one more thing, what's the fan supposed to do? I keep dying when I walk into the fan but I don't see what else there is to do in there..
ChevyRay
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 08:13:07 AM »

This is wonderful, thanks for sharing! I wish there were more games like this. Very immersive for me, I love the visual style.

Request: I want to share this with some people, if you could possibly do an update where the arrow keys control the character (very counter-intuitive that the huge buttons with arrows on them do not move the dude on screen) then that'd be awesome! Smiley

Thanks again for sharing. A fuckton more interesting than my first game.

EDIT: Sorry there wasn't any actual feedback in this post Sad I was linked here externally so I thought it was the Announcements forum. If I think of any I'll post it as well.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 08:42:25 AM by ChevyRay » Logged
heysami
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 08:41:14 AM »

This is really nice! been very long time there is no surreal game around, I finished it but I am pretty sure it was mostly luck that lead me to the end of the game lol
and
I made an 'afterthought' after playing it : http://heysami.blogspot.sg/2012/06/press-enter-foam.html
please visit if you have time, thank you.
paste
Level 6

BARF!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 11:59:41 AM »

I eventually figured out that you basically just change into something else to bypass a previously locked "gate", but after a while I didn't really have any motivation to go on. At one point I was an egg, but I fell in the water and it was gone. I don't know if I needed to be that egg for something... I was kind of put off by not being able to tell how things were meant to look. Regardless, well done on your first game.

Stwelin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 12:28:28 PM »

I'm really enjoying this game so far.  The world is bizarre and colorful enough to keep me wanting to explore and find out what's down each path, and I like the lines of dialogue the characters have.  Haven't made that much progress solving the puzzles yet, but I'll probably come back to the game later (speaking of which, as save feature would be nice.).

I thought about a save feature, but in the end I didn't feel the game lent itself to being put down and picked up later in the middle. I never enjoyed this aspect of long RPGs. I always come back after a break and forget what I was supposed to be doing.

Request: I want to share this with some people, if you could possibly do an update where the arrow keys control the character (very counter-intuitive that the huge buttons with arrows on them do not move the dude on screen) then that'd be awesome! Smiley

I'll put it in the next build. Thanks.

I was kind of put off by not being able to tell how things were meant to look. Regardless, well done on your first game.

Things are meant to look how they look. If they were meant to look differently, I would have made them so! Thank you.

Thanks to all for playing.
tipp
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 12:50:31 PM »

oh my goodness this is so great! will edit post after i finish playing

edit: ok i beat the game and got all 3 secrets (space, underwater area, checkerboard area). i don't think that getting the secrets actually matters though since i got the same ending, but i got two of the endings so far (alone with umbrella, girl without umbrella) is there anything i'm missing?

anyway, great game here, it's been too long a time since i played a game that i thought had a unique and brilliant surreal atmosphere (games like uin, lackadasium, yume nikki, space funeral, glum buster, etc). by any chance were you inspired by yume nikki or LSD when made this (psx style graphics, egg collecting, etc)? i personally like the pixelated aesthetic because for a lot of the characters and  graphics it leaves a lot of interpretation to the player as to what they actually are. for instance, i could swear the guy telling you to collect the eggs was pyramid head. the music was spot on and it added so much to the atmosphere of the game. anyway, i'll shut up now and stop raving like a fan girl but first i must say this was one of my favorite game maker game experiences, and i look forward to seeing whatever you do next.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 06:05:19 PM by tipp » Logged

farik
Level 0

i am your parents

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 08:09:11 PM »

nice work!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic