Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 07:03:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNightmerica - Out Now!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Nightmerica - Out Now!  (Read 18255 times)
vivavolt
Level 2

butts

View Profile WWW
« on: June 10, 2012, 02:47:59 AM »

Retro, Platform, Zombie/Other "Scary" Enemies, Arena, Suvival, Shooter for iOS/PC

Features:
- Randomly generated guns (better guns generated based on how far you get)
- Crazy Zombies
- A buttload of various monsters
- Explosions
- Retro platformer aesthetic
- Crazy hard bosses
- Awesome special weapons
- A whole bunch of love

Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR_7Q4R2O60
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnSIanc254I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI7BY0iiiwA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZvat3dyHHE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww8HGYAyJH8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1R-0B3PEgI

Builds:
http://voltic.site90.com/?page_id=48

Sample Pics (read on for more):

Original First Post

So, we've (my friend zigzag and I) just started working on a new project. It's a little bit like 2D Call of Duty zombies, but not really. I just wanted to work on something where its really satisfying to jump around / shoot / kill everything.

Progress is gonna be slow for a while since I'm in the middle of University Exams right now, but in the holidays this should move along a lot.

Any suggestions RE: monsters / game names / gun ideas are welcome!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 07:08:17 PM by vivavolt » Logged

vivavolt
Level 2

butts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 01:03:35 AM »

Features Added:
- New Tileset
- Interface buttons can be repositioned as the user wants

Only a little bit of work today as procrastination from study. Did a quick grass tileset, not happy with the pillar thing he's standing on. It's also a real challenge to get the character / zombies visible in this colour scheme. The zombies have been caught in a rather unfortunate animation frame, just so you know.

Considering some kind of effect surrounding enemies to make them show up... But it might look strange.

wg/funstorm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 02:52:10 AM »

Looks great! What are you making it in? You mention CoD Zombies but it looks very platformer from the screenshots at least. Is it survival gameplay? What's the level goal? Kill x zombies, reach the exit, survive x minutes, or ....? Randomized guns sounds like a really awesome standout feature. Multiplayer?

vivavolt
Level 2

butts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 03:07:18 AM »

We're making it in good old MMF2, despite its limitations it's got alright multiplatform support going and it's good for working with my friend who's not exactly a programmer. He can lay out / change maps and add basic features without me etc.

CoD zombies is a bit of an inspiration in a vague way. I just used to play it a lot with my friends, but the idea is wave based survival combat, with each round bringing more varied enemies and better / more random weapons. Maybe periodic boss rounds? Not all fleshed out yet.  Evil

Multiplayer's pretty hard to pull off on iOS, for a computer release we should be able to get Co-Op in though, I love playing survival things that way.

Chomps
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 03:14:06 AM »

It's looking great! Are you thinking of including other gear or will loot only be weapon based?

I would love a defend the base mode, kind of like old school AVP, it would be great for quick bursts of zombie slaying while commuting or on a lunch break.
Cellusious Games
Level 0

Meows. Pixels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 03:17:12 AM »

Hand Money Left take my money, seriously; take my money.  Kiss

https://twitter.com/Cellusious - Pixel Artist - Concept Artist - 3D modeler - Wannabe Coder - Wannabe Musician.
vivavolt
Level 2

butts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 04:04:10 AM »

It's looking great! Are you thinking of including other gear or will loot only be weapon based?

I would love a defend the base mode, kind of like old school AVP, it would be great for quick bursts of zombie slaying while commuting or on a lunch break.

Haven't thought about what other loot to, uh, loot yet! But I love being able to collect stuff. I don't want to RPG it up with complex armor etc though, so I'm not sure what the best angle is?

Definitely keen on a defend the base mode, that's a great idea.

Managed to get a new enemy type in to the game tonight (a little hopping work that features in almost all my games, with a temp sprite), and get collectable coins working.

Coins are going to be used for buying guns that aren't random (just good if you don't wanna gamble with random guns), ammo, upgrades etc. The game will be free on iOS so the In App Purchase option for coins means we could have a little income - I'd rather have more people play the game than charge for it straight up... But I want to try and avoid the iOS gaming crap that comes with IAP's, none of this BUY YOUR HISCORE stuff. Nothing will be able to be purchased that couldn't be earned.

The coins flying to the display are sort of visible here, it's an effect best seen in motion.

Shocked

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 06:11:49 AM »

Interesting style and aesthetic! The gameplay sounds mighty wonderful, to boot. Keep up the good work -- I'm keeping my eyes on this one!
tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 08:12:57 AM »

I'm totally super duper interested !! If you go for the defend the base mode, you definitely need turrets/barricades/mines/etc.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 08:18:29 AM by tchassin » Logged

vivavolt
Level 2

butts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 01:59:37 AM »

I'm totally super duper interested !! If you go for the defend the base mode, you definitely need turrets/barricades/mines/etc.

Definitely, I will most likely be working out the details for standard survival gameplay before I get around to defend-the-base modes though.

Features Added Today
- Made "Jump Pads" for rapid vertical changes (I foresee frantic sprints to these to escape a hoard, but some enemies will be able to use them).
- Added multiple weapons and the framework for all guns
    - Gun stats: Damage, Effect, Bullet Speed, Fire Rate, Spread, Number of Bullets per shot, Automatic or not, Bullet Type (purely visual)
    - Leads to fun things like rapid fire 6 bullet shotgun (pictured below)
- Guns can be changed between by swiping left and right at the top of the iPhone screen

Jump pads / a shotgun

Crazy guns bro

The current gun display is temp, and the actual gun you hold will change with different weapons.  Hand Fork Left Durr...? Hand Knife Right

vivavolt
Level 2

butts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 01:37:36 AM »

No coding work today (too busy studying) but a page of notes on a new enemy type idea and some gun doodles. Nothing special, just keeping this up to date!

Click for my full scan, basically the enemy crawls on the ceiling, and if you're underneath him he'll drop on to you (or try to). If he finds himself on the ground defenseless for too long he'll jump back up and keep trying.

vivavolt
Level 2

butts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 02:48:26 AM »

Tossing around the idea of a "Boss Round" every X number of waves in the main mode. Couple tablet doodles below:

Mostly studying and talking about design... Exams are over in a week so, aside from consuming copious amounts of alcohol  Beer!, development should take off.

Uykered
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 03:17:15 AM »

Nice looks pretty cute, I like the colours.
iammonshushu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 03:42:20 AM »

Hello! I'm the other half of this development team, so I thought I would add to the devlog. At the moment I'm doing a lot of planning and rough idea work and drawing a LOT of dodgy sketches to get ideas to paper before I forget.

Weapons ideas

Title Screen ideas

Boredom spawned art

Anyway, I will probably post a lot less than Ben (vivavolt) but will keep an eye on this thread. Super keen to hear feedback/suggestions!  Smiley

vivavolt
Level 2

butts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 05:25:08 PM »

Features Added:
- Bullets can now have gravity
- Bullets can bounce off walls and floors
- Bullets have lifetime limits
- Random guns got crazy
- Planning on adding sine wave bullet movements

Below are some different bullet tests, combining bouncing/gravity, negative gravity, ridiculous spread / bouncing etc.

wg/funstorm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 10:52:34 PM »

Madness! I really hope you keep some of the crazy ones in for the later levels. Although will probably be hard to balance... maybe with a limited ammo count.

iammonshushu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 09:13:03 PM »

There's going to be randomly generated weapons that you pick up and use until you run out of ammo (although we haven't decided on ammo refills or a lot of that stuff yet), so there will always be a (very low) chance of getting an amazing weapon. Initially, everything will be pretty weak though and ramp up.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 11:37:01 PM »

Briefly skimmed over this, but it looks really interesting. I love the graphical style and everything - it's too bad that you're limiting it to mobile devices - OH WAIT, PC'S THERE TOO, AWESOME. Hand Thumbs Up Left Durr...? Hand Thumbs Up Right

If you were to put online capability in there, too, that'd be absolutely sweet.

EDIT: Suggestion for a monster - a flying tapeworm that flies across the screen horizontally. It'd go at least one way off the screen and part of one back before you can take one down.

iammonshushu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 02:43:57 AM »

No big news today (both of us are super busy for a little while with exams), but here is another enemy design.

He'll walk back and forth instead of chasing you as some enemies will, and will hit you.

I also spent some time working out the wave mechanism. It should work out that instead of getting hundreds of pointless enemies that will just be cannon fodder, you get more and more higher difficulty monsters. Provided you never die, this means that at the moment you can probably reach up to wave 1000 without any lag issues on the device due to excess enemies. On the PC version this isn't really an issue so we can muck about with this.

Do you think that not having hundreds of enemies in the main game mode will detract from the experience? Or is it more fun to bring down stronger enemies?

vivavolt
Level 2

butts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 04:15:26 AM »

Exams are over! Didn't get THAT much done today due to being hungover and not waking up at home / having to do some web design work.

Features added today:
- Gibs / Particles when enemies are killed
- A new type of enemy, a big wandering guy with no eyes inspired by Ricky's (zigzag's) concept

I've recorded a little clip of me running about killing some stuff, it's running a little slow (45-50 instead of 60fps) due to the screen recorder and the animations are a bit broken due to me playing with the keyboard controls.

I want it to feel as satisfying as possible to hit and kill enemies so, suggestions?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic