Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:45:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs"A Nation of Wind", isometric RTS/Arena Shooter RELEASED! Download here!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: "A Nation of Wind", isometric RTS/Arena Shooter RELEASED! Download here!  (Read 4605 times)
indie_illustrator
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 10, 2012, 11:30:51 AM »

Heya guys, first time poster here, I wanted to make a topic for my RTS/Arena Shooter hybrid.

Trailer!:

It's set in a floating island filled atmosphere and features Arena Shooter combat with a naval twist, your ship has different guns attached to the sides of it, meaning that the position of the cursor in relation to the ship determines the type of projectile fired.

The RTS elements require the player to harvest resources by building units adjacent to resource tiles, like forests, mountains, or towns. The ultimate goal is to build expensive temples adjacent to Obelisks, this increases the power of magical spells, as well as allows the player to progress through the map.

And of course there's a ton of customization and upgrading!

Follow the devblog below, of course I'll also be updating this thread as I continue to work on it. I hope to have an open beta by the end of July. Let me know what you guys think!

http://nationofwind.tumblr.com/
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 11:56:47 AM by indie_illustrator » Logged
Angrymatter
Level 0

Is actually not angry.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 11:40:16 AM »

This looks really fun. How is this 70% already? Either way, this looks like a great idea. A rts/arena mashup.

*antymattar spends 8 months rigorously training to draw knees, even going so far as to have weekly appointments with his knee doctor.*
- Thatshelby
indie_illustrator
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 11:43:00 AM »

I've been working on this project for about 3 years now, at this point the only things missing are some more boss battles, bug fixes, and a few minor bits and pieces that need to be implemented. For the most part, the game is fully up and running! I didn't really openly publicize it until the last 6 months though, as I was never really sure how seriously I wanted to take it, but since then I've been putting a ton of work into getting it polished and ready to go!
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 12:21:45 PM »

My Word!

Wow ... ever since Netstorm, I've been wanting to make/play some game with floating islands in it. Something about that concept is really awesome. Your game seems like it's right up my alley. Really looking forward to the beta!

Oh, and it looks amazing! Though, the jpeg compression really hurts the images.

indie_illustrator
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 12:26:44 PM »

My Word!

Wow ... ever since Netstorm, I've been wanting to make/play some game with floating islands in it. Something about that concept is really awesome. Your game seems like it's right up my alley. Really looking forward to the beta!

Oh, and it looks amazing! Though, the jpeg compression really hurts the images.

I'm gonna have to admit to something I'm ashamed of...I've never played Netstorm! You're like the 4th or 5th person to make that connection, but I didn't even know what Netstorm was until someone pointed out the similarity! After having watched gameplay videos though I had to agree, there was a lot in common. Maybe the spirit of Netstorm inspired me without me even knowing what it was? Tongue
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 01:13:09 PM »

Graphics look very nice, although I really don't like the black outlines in the title screen and world map, I'll be eager to test it

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
indie_illustrator
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 03:47:43 PM »

Graphics look very nice, although I really don't like the black outlines in the title screen and world map, I'll be eager to test it

Thank you! I personally like harsh outlines for UI elements, most of the interactive bits have them, hence the islands and buttons.
indie_illustrator
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 06:21:39 AM »

I saw this a while ago somewhere and totally fell in love with it. I saved all the screenshots to my inspiration folder. Really glad to see it on TIGS now.

That's very flattering! I hope you got some good inspiration out of it, I was actually inspired by stuff like Skies of Arcadia and Last Exile when making this game, if you like airships and cloudscapes I would definitely check them out!
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 08:05:35 AM »

the graphics are eye-popping but i'm afraid i don't really get an idea of what your game plays like from the screens and the description. how will the RTS elements and the shooter elements work together? how "deep" will each of them be? i'm getting a sort of magic carpet vibe from it, is that about right?
indie_illustrator
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 08:25:48 AM »

the graphics are eye-popping but i'm afraid i don't really get an idea of what your game plays like from the screens and the description. how will the RTS elements and the shooter elements work together? how "deep" will each of them be? i'm getting a sort of magic carpet vibe from it, is that about right?

I'll try to explain it as best I can.

There are 16 unit types in the game to be built, obviously they all work differently, but most of them are "harvester" type units.

Harvesters have an "area of influence", this is the number of surrounding tiles that they harvest resources from.

There are 4 different resources that "harvesters" can collect, Gold, Food, Wood, and Stone. These resources can be used to build other units AND they are used by the ship to restock/repair itself. For instance, the ship will passively consume Stone to refill it's Ammo Stockpiles, or Wood to repair itself. Food will heal your crew. You can turn these passive effects off in order to conserve resources, but you wouldn't want to play the entire game that way. Resources can also be traded for Gold which can be used to purchase other resources. The more scarce a resource, the more valuable it is.

In other words, the player must balance building colonies with the resources they need to maintain their ship. Get greedy and use too much Wood for instance, and you won't be able to repair between enemy encounters.

Another example of how the Unit building factors into the rest of the game would be the Temples and Magic System. When you start a stage, you have access to no spells, but by building a single Temple to any of the 4 Greek Elements you unlock that elements minor spell. Build another Temple to the same element and you unlock its major spell, and any temples built after that increase the power of the Major spell.

I would say that the RTS elements are fairly light, you build units, and you can repair units, but other than that you mostly let them to do their thing and then you check up on them once every in-game day to grab the resources they've collected. This facilitates exploration and expansion, which is necessary because you have to capture Obelisks that are strewn across the map. This dynamic obviously shifts if your units come under attack, in which case you need to defend them. Certain units provoke certain enemy types, for instance Watchtowers provoke Moths, or Churches agitate Bats.

As for the shooter elements, they're definitely "deeper" than your average shooter. The Airship is equipped with 4 weapons, all of which but one is context sensitive. The minigun can be fired in any direction, and instead of ammo it has a cool-down, making it a last resort kind of weapon. The Cannons are your bread and butter, they have a large reserve of ammo and fire quickly, but they can only be fired off the sides of your ship. The harpoon will track the cursor and is fairly powerful, but it is only fired from the front of the ship. Finally, the mines have a very short range, are extremely powerful, but can only be fired out the back of the ship, and have very limited ammo reserves. The idea is that the shooter mechanics force the player to come along broadside to an enemy and hammer them with their cannons.

Hopefully that gives you a better idea of how the game plays, I hope to have an instructional manual in the next week for the closed alpha, I'll probably go ahead and post it up here as well. If you have any more questions feel free to ask!
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 09:37:17 AM »

Sounds real interesting, thanks for the explanation!

Maybe a trailer / gameplay video would help explain it to people seeing it for the first time.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 12:32:35 PM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
Dragonmaw
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »

The screenshots have my loins all aquiver. Really hope this turns out well. Smells distinctly of NetStorm and Magic Carpet
indie_illustrator
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 03:56:58 PM »

Maybe a trailer / gameplay video would help explain it to people seeing it for the first time.

Agreed, I actually have a guy that wants to put together a trailer for it, I'm rushing to have an alpha client to him this week so he can start capturing gameplay and cutting it for the trailer. We also have tentative plans to have some PSA style footage explaining the more intricate aspects of the game.

The screenshots have my loins all aquiver. Really hope this turns out well. Smells distinctly of NetStorm and Magic Carpet

Thank you! I've put my pixelated blood, sweat, and tears into this project, i'm hoping not to disappoint!
indie_illustrator
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 09:42:22 AM »

Closed Alpha Testing is coming along nicely, and the game is quickly shaping into quite an experience! More importantly for you guys though, we have a new trailer that I think does an excellent job of showcasing the game!

Trailer!:

indie_illustrator
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 07:59:51 PM »

Ah! And it also has a rather schnazzy indieDB page as well!

Check it out!: http://www.indiedb.com/games/a-nation-of-wind
indie_illustrator
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 01:14:32 PM »

"A Nation of Wind" is officially released! Download it for free below!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic