Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 04:31:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSiege Knight (previously known as Defense Game)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Siege Knight (previously known as Defense Game)  (Read 6298 times)
wg/funstorm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 12, 2012, 06:41:11 AM »

27/03/2013 - Game released!!!

We finished the game, and it was released today! Grin Feels like forever ago that I started it. Please give it a go if you have a spare minute and rate.

You can play on Kongregate: http://www.kongregate.com/games/funstorm/siege-knight
Or NewGrounds: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/613651

------

Old OP:

• The Game

Your base is on the right. Enemies spawn on the left. You can place traps and shoot weapons. Stop the baddies before your base is destroyed! That pretty much sums up the gameplay right there.

This is what it might look like when we're done although it will probably change a lot (click for animation version):

But we still have a lot of work left to do before we get there. Here's a video of the latest build (

):

• Project History

I had the basic code for a defense style game that I wanted to make, so I set out to find an artist. Maybe you even saw me post about it. Anyways, I got super lucky and found Tyler, who had an art concept for a defense style game he wanted to make. The perfect combination! So we've been combining the best of both ideas and I'm really excited about the way this is shaping up.

• Other Stuff

The code is by me (Wolfgang) in Actionscript 3, Tyler is doing the art in Flash, and Crystal is on audio. We hope to wrap this up within a month, and then sell it through FlashGameLicense.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 01:24:07 PM by wg/funstorm » Logged

wg/funstorm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 09:59:45 PM »

Added a spike pit trap today. It kills 1 enemy and then takes a lot of time to reset.

Next up I'm doing the knight which is basically a barricade that deals damage back at the attacker. So that will bring our list of traps to:

• Spikes
  • Barricade
  • Freeze
  • Pit
  • Knight

Any suggestions for what could be a cool trap we haven't thought of yet?

wg/funstorm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 11:13:08 AM »

Added a knight trap (basically a barricade that fights back) and some environment art (4 layers with parallax):

We're struggling a bit to find the right design for the base. Any thoughts on this?

Over the weekend I hope to integrate the base with the player character on top and a bow+arrow to shoot the baddies with.

Also still curious to hear any suggestions for new traps or a game name!

wg/funstorm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 06:39:12 AM »

Added an archer trap, popcorn coins to vacuum up with the mouse, and spent a bunch of time on y-sorting.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 10:48:17 AM by wg/funstorm » Logged

wg/funstorm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 06:34:30 AM »

More progress!

Started replacing placeholder trap art, and added the knight in the tower who can now shoot arrows at baddies.

New goblin enemy type. The ice trap is currently bugged because it freezes enemies faster than they can unfreeze so they keep getting refrozen before they can move.  Roll Eyes

We plan to redo the tower with something more castle-y that covers the full length of the side baddies can attack. Something like this..

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 07:38:40 AM »

New graphics are great and can definitely see the gameplay being addictive. Like the freezing animation.

wg/funstorm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 11:53:10 AM »

Thanks man! I like the effect too, really happy with our artist.

Updated the in-game tower with the castle wall from the previous screenshot, and also updated the knight trap art (it's basically like a barricade that fights back).

Next up: a cannon for the player to shoot as a 2nd weapon. Hoping to add lots of cool weapons including spells before the project is finished.

wg/funstorm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 03:26:02 PM »

Added a cannon as a 2nd weapon today.

wg/funstorm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 03:27:01 PM »

Got a little frustrater with the view because you couldn't see the player firing the shots 90% of the time so we decided to shrink everything a little to increase the visible play area.

Also did a little collision work. Got some cool enemies (orc & drake) and spells (fire & ice) to add next  Cheesy

wg/funstorm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 11:32:14 PM »

Haven't posted in a while, but we've been busy busy. I think it's really starting to come together and feel like a full game now.

Demo Video

Improvements since last update:
- There's multiple waves of enemies per level now like in traditional tower defense games. I think it makes the pacing a lot more interesting.
- New orc & drake enemies.
- Fireball spell!
- Lots of UI work.

Now I'm going to start on the iceball attack, and a leveling system + upgrade talent trees.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 12:22:18 AM »

The perspective of the wall looks really weird. It shrinks way too much.
wg/funstorm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 12:04:08 PM »

Thanks man, I passed the feedback on to our artist! So far the barricade perspective has been updated.

Oh and I also added the iceball spell which slows enemies, added a burn damage-over-time effect for fireball, and started working on tracking XP behind the scenes so now I'm working on a levelling system that lets you upgrade your abilities through some talent trees. Like this but prettier

ninja
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 12:39:08 PM »

Looks cool.  How many waves are there though?

Delver is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                 Smiley
Conker534
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 12:45:24 PM »

Those graphics are so fun. I could see this being really cool. :D
Majestic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 01:36:14 PM »

The GUI is very create and well done. The animation is very fluid and smooth. Artwork looks nice and fun as well.

Overall a very nice game you have here. Keep up the good work Smiley

Also gave your youtube video a like

www.soundcloud.com/majestic8390 - My game music portfolio
For custom game music tailored for your project contact me majestic8390[at]gmail[dot]com
wg/funstorm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2012, 01:14:31 AM »

Thanks guys! Ninja, the number of waves will probably vary per level. I'm thinking early levels maybe like 3, and then steadily increasing to a maximum of 6 or 8 or so... still need to test and see what feels 'right'.

Added the lightning spell, redid some UI and added an xp bar so you can level up.

Also a quick preview of some environments our artist's been working on...

Only 2 abilities left to add... shotgun & heal spell. Also 1 more enemy (spider), and then I'm hoping to do another playtest this weekend but longer with a mini-campaign of 5 levels.

wg/funstorm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2012, 01:49:28 AM »

We redid a lot of the UI, I'm much happier with it now.

~60% of the talents are also functional, gonna reskin that next.

wg/funstorm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 01:29:26 AM »

Talent tree arted up  Kiss

yuotta
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 08:47:50 PM »

This game looks like a lot of fun, really excited for it!
wg/funstorm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 01:23:17 PM »

27/03/2013 - Game released!!!

We finished the game, and it was released today! Grin Feels like forever ago that I started it. Please give it a go if you have a spare minute and rate.

You can play on Kongregate: http://www.kongregate.com/games/funstorm/siege-knight
Or NewGrounds: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/613651

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic