Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1143735 Posts in 48222 Topics- by 39474 Members - Latest Member: skitzmurd

August 04, 2015, 09:54:54 am

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsMedusa 5 [Unity, 2D, Retro RPG]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Medusa 5 [Unity, 2D, Retro RPG]  (Read 216 times)
Pizzamakesgames
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 23, 2015, 01:48:58 am »

Hello TigSource! I'm a new arrival. With me I bring an attempt to have a proper DevLog and a pile of questions.

Very quickly, regarding me. I've started getting into making games like a year ago, my most successful thing to date was this one: http://gamejolt.com/games/adventure/skullz/41548/

Since then, a whole lot of stuff happened and is still happening. This right here is the attempt to give some structure to a project from the very start, as I had the pleasure of having to go rewrite the mess of the game I linked above multiple times while not ever having spent any time cleaning it up beforehand.

But enough about things that are not the subject. Medusa 5. Named after the synthesizer, medusa 2, that's used for the better part of it's audio. It came from a little gif, just randomly made for no reason.

Hastily turned into a little intro kinda screen in Unity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSItxwOVzUU

That is literally everything that there is as of now, which is great, cause that means there's no mess to clean up yet. The plan is to make it somewhat of a little RPG that's not too overwhelming for me to create but also not to underwhelming for the players to experience. This thread shall be it's DevLog.

A couple questions: I released most of my games as flash or html5 to be played in the browser. This one I'd like to only have desktop versions, sold for a couple bucks. Now with a free game, I could put it on Newgrounds, Gamejolt, Itch.io. Probably some others, too, but that's all I know. If anybody has anymore gameportals like that to suggest, be my guest. Anyway, with the game not being free and only having a desktop version, I can only think of Itch.io and Desura for distribution. I guess that'd cut my exposure by a lot, but maybe it'd give the game more credibility. What do you think?
Then, I was wondering on a smart way to release it bit by bit to the public as it's developed. The easiest way would be to just post the odd video, screenshot, gif or music track, but I've seen people upload like unfinished versions everywhere, making database entries at IndieDB and stuff. Is that a thing to consider?

That's all I can think of for now. I'm looking forward to being part of a cool place and am excited for what you guys have to say.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 01:56:08 am by Pizzamakesgames » Logged

oldblood
Level 5

Hanging around...

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 04:54:25 am »

It sounds like you're on the right track in terms of how it can be distributed, but IMO- at this stage of your career (and current progress on your new game), I wouldn't dive too deep into the distribution or business side just yet. Just focus on the game and developing your craft. Welcome to the forums.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic