Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1038171 Posts in 41953 Topics- by 33573 Members - Latest Member: kirbasin

September 02, 2014, 01:12:08 AM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsProject gnh20. English letsplay added
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30
Print
Author Topic: Project gnh20. English letsplay added  (Read 56440 times)
JobLeonard
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 07:45:25 AM »

I get why you can't do agent-based behaviour on the GPU, but maybe you can still let it compute part of the physics of the simple objects in the world.
I think, I am not so skilled for such GPU calculating. Smiley All game graphics is soft-rendered, by the way. In other words, all graphics calculating on a CPU now.
Well, truth be told, neither am I Wink. But I do understand the general idea: instead of treating a texture as a picture, treat it as a 2 (or 1 or 3) dimensional array. Use fragment shaders to calculate stuff with that data. Especially with modern OpenGL you can do all kinds of stuff not directly related to graphics - treating a texture as a look-up table for example (see linked tutorial), or doing particle physics.

Jus in case, if you decide to switch from soft-rendered to hardware accelerated, this is a good modern OpenGL tutorial:
http://www.arcsynthesis.org/gltut/index.html

Another thing you can "optimise", since it's turn based, is to pre-compute the parts of the next turn that will happen regardless of player input. But maybe you already do that.
I tried to do so. In pauses world calculating ahead, and when player start moving after pause, the game run faster. But a couple of seconds, and game is slow again. These changes in velocity were not pleasant, as experience has shown.
Ah, good point. Hiccups can be more annoying than constant slowness.
Franklins Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 09:18:24 AM »

As everyone else has mentioned great looking game and I really like your lighting aesthetic. Also like the way you're incorporating the roguelike time passing. Interesting to see the trees grow.

Doesn't run the best on my laptop but will definitely be following this Gentleman

sb3dgraph
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 10:35:39 AM »

Jus in case, if you decide to switch from soft-rendered to hardware accelerated, this is a good modern OpenGL tutorial
Thanks, then come in handy if I decide to go this way. But for now, I mostly work on playing mechanics, not on game engine.

-------------

Today I create a between worlds teleport mechanics. For this I rewrited a saves system, and now all ready for start creating a new worlds with another game mechanics, than the first one.

Moving to the next world is one of the challenges of maps.

Picture of between world teleport: push me. By the way, one-color squares are tiles, which I have not painted yet.

-------------
sb3dgraph
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 10:25:29 PM »

Since I'm doing this game for several months, but had not talked about its creation here, I think it will be interesting to show the old screenshots of its development.

17 March
20 March
21 April
6 May
18 May
29 May
6 Jun

As you can see, start graphics is more roguelike. And game was planned with only text-based graphics. But later I decided to add tiles.
JobLeonard
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 06:10:25 AM »

Fascinating to see how it develops over time.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 06:29:38 AM »

Amazing, all I can say. Those development shots really show the labor you went through.

I'm hoping you have success.

Yeah.
screwtape
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 07:27:03 AM »

Really awesome, I can totally see how this is your dream game.
Following this closely Smiley
It froze for about a minute when I started a new world, but then I was running it under wine, so it's probably fine.
Franklins Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 07:29:34 AM »

Since I'm doing this game for several months, but had not talked about its creation here, I think it will be interesting to show the old screenshots of its development.
Interesting to see how this started and how far the visuals have come along. Amazing job and looking forward to seeing the rest of the journey to the final product.

sb3dgraph
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2012, 02:44:13 PM »

Thanks, gentlemen, for good words! Gentleman

In past days I worked on generator for new, second world. In it now I create a lava rivers in stone. Not sure, how I use that lava in the future, but new world must be much more dangerous, that the first one. Evil

Also, I continued to work on the first world. I create items: scrolls. Player can take them from dead underground homunculus. When player use these scrolls, in the world apply unpredictable global changes. I think, this is a cool idea! Smiley

For example, one creatures turns to another, lava turns into water, and so on. I need you ideas, gentlemen: what are global changes in the world you can think of?

Edit: added gameplay screenshots in start post.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 08:48:33 PM by sb3dgraph » Logged
sb3dgraph
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2012, 01:58:08 AM »

Altered transition between tiles. Final variant on left side.

Recs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2012, 04:21:02 AM »

very nice job.

I really hope to see this project completed. keep it up.
sb3dgraph
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2012, 07:19:25 PM »

Fresh build in start post.
And gentlemen, where is you criticism? Do not hesitate to say all the misses of the build!
nikki
Level 10

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2012, 01:41:22 AM »

where is you criticism?:

it's looking great.

when i the hero dies, i have to restart the whole game, restarting it from the main menu leads to a crash (every time)

it's too laggy to enjoy.

i'll follow this project cause it is cool
Prinsessa
Level 10

═sjaki

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2012, 04:42:14 AM »

I must try this. Wow. Is it available for Mac or Linux? I'm on my phone right now, so I can't really check the link.

dum mak gam
Vatnsmyrkr, deep sea exploration: Devlog

http://royalrailway.com
RoyalRailway @ Twitter, Tumblr, Bandcamp & Facebook

Ava
SpaceFish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2012, 05:39:12 AM »

Hey i tried the game and i gotta say damn! Youre really on to somthing here but it's still very choppy. I didnt think it would be that turn-based-like but it's interesting. =)

The pixel art really please me as i love artistic looking games so keep working on that but i think you need the gameplay sorted out first. I will follow your project so good luck! Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic