Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:49:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject gnh20. English letsplay added
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: Project gnh20. English letsplay added  (Read 90429 times)
screwtape
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 07:27:03 AM »

Really awesome, I can totally see how this is your dream game.
Following this closely Smiley
It froze for about a minute when I started a new world, but then I was running it under wine, so it's probably fine.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 07:29:34 AM »

Since I'm doing this game for several months, but had not talked about its creation here, I think it will be interesting to show the old screenshots of its development.
Interesting to see how this started and how far the visuals have come along. Amazing job and looking forward to seeing the rest of the journey to the final product.

sb3dgraph
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2012, 02:44:13 PM »

Thanks, gentlemen, for good words! Gentleman

In past days I worked on generator for new, second world. In it now I create a lava rivers in stone. Not sure, how I use that lava in the future, but new world must be much more dangerous, that the first one. Evil

Also, I continued to work on the first world. I create items: scrolls. Player can take them from dead underground homunculus. When player use these scrolls, in the world apply unpredictable global changes. I think, this is a cool idea! Smiley

For example, one creatures turns to another, lava turns into water, and so on. I need you ideas, gentlemen: what are global changes in the world you can think of?

Edit: added gameplay screenshots in start post.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 08:48:33 PM by sb3dgraph » Logged
sb3dgraph
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2012, 01:58:08 AM »

Altered transition between tiles. Final variant on left side.

Recs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2012, 04:21:02 AM »

very nice job.

I really hope to see this project completed. keep it up.
sb3dgraph
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2012, 07:19:25 PM »

Fresh build in start post.
And gentlemen, where is you criticism? Do not hesitate to say all the misses of the build!
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2012, 01:41:22 AM »

where is you criticism?:

it's looking great.

when i the hero dies, i have to restart the whole game, restarting it from the main menu leads to a crash (every time)

it's too laggy to enjoy.

i'll follow this project cause it is cool
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2012, 04:42:14 AM »

I must try this. Wow. Is it available for Mac or Linux? I'm on my phone right now, so I can't really check the link.

SpaceFish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2012, 05:39:12 AM »

Hey i tried the game and i gotta say damn! Youre really on to somthing here but it's still very choppy. I didnt think it would be that turn-based-like but it's interesting. =)

The pixel art really please me as i love artistic looking games so keep working on that but i think you need the gameplay sorted out first. I will follow your project so good luck! Smiley
sb3dgraph
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2012, 09:55:28 AM »

I must try this. Wow. Is it available for Mac or Linux? I'm on my phone right now, so I can't really check the link.
This project is testing under Linux Wine. Should work correctly there.

when i the hero dies, i have to restart the whole game, restarting it from the main menu leads to a crash (every time)
Wow, this is a bad surprise. And what a message says windows?

but i think you need the gameplay sorted out first.
Yes, yes! Finally started talking about the gameplay in this thread! Wink

So, gentlemen, I am waiting for your criticism of gameplay! Beg And you are all this time writing to me about the graphics and the bad performance. Huh?  Cry

-------------

In the meantime, I think about a new idea. Look: if the player is written too often, the game challenges is lost! Hence, we must limit the player to save game.

To do this, I plan to add a special items. One item - one possible to save a game. When the player starts, we give him, for example, ten such items. Further, one save - one item. For more saves, the player must find these items in the chests.

Total:
a) The player will appreciate life more.
b) Will no longer bypass game challenges through a frequent save.
c) Will more active search for treashures and chests.

What do you think about the mechanics of this?
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2012, 12:52:51 PM »

And what a message says windows?
that the program is not responding, and or if i want windows to look for a solution, then i press cancel and it quits (offcourse)
sb3dgraph
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2012, 04:19:42 PM »

that the program is not responding, and or if i want windows to look for a solution, then i press cancel and it quits (offcourse)
This is not a program bag, the game simply generates a map for a long time. Wait a couple of seconds, and game start responding again. Coffee

You made me jittery. I was thinking that there is indeed a bug. Thanks!
Recs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2012, 11:21:09 PM »

In the meantime, I think about a new idea. Look: if the player is written too often, the game challenges is lost! Hence, we must limit the player to save game.

To do this, I plan to add a special items. One item - one possible to save a game. When the player starts, we give him, for example, ten such items. Further, one save - one item. For more saves, the player must find these items in the chests.

Total:
a) The player will appreciate life more.
b) Will no longer bypass game challenges through a frequent save.
c) Will more active search for treashures and chests.

What do you think about the mechanics of this?

seems an interesting idea and a good compromise between a "full roguelike" (no saves or only save on exit) and free saves, if you aim to an experience similar to roguelikes.

probably it needs testing to find the right balance with the number of starting saves available and the spawn rate of "save items" in chests.

maybe you could also make it so save items are found in chests tied to specific boss/challenges.
sb3dgraph
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2012, 12:05:28 PM »

seems an interesting idea and a good compromise between a "full roguelike" (no saves or only save on exit) and free saves, if you aim to an experience similar to roguelikes.
Lack of roguelike option is that if we do "permanent death", we need to reduce the game difficulty, so that player can go through the whole game without dying even once.

Look:
a) Difficulty reducing is bad: in the game will be no hard challenges.
b) Do not reduce difficulty - is bad too: the player will regularly die and start game again. And in the end, our player simply will backup saves.

So I do not like permanent death, version of the classic roguelike.
Morroque
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2012, 12:31:03 PM »

Why a rougelike?

This is my immediate response after playing. No other information biased.

I know this game has a lot going on for it right now, but it seems like the grid-based movement of blocky characters doesn't feel natural to actually control. When I'm playing a game like Dwarf Fortress it is okay because so much of the game is an abstraction. This is not the case here. Your graphics are so beautiful and painterly that it actually feels a bit jarring to move block by block. The look and feel of your gorgeous tileset does not in any way tell me what "16 pixels squared" measures to. That, combined with the fact that time only flows when I move, feels like I'm controlling a Game and Watch when my eyes are telling me I should be playing Cave Story. What my mind is telling me is not matching what my eyes are seeing.

Are you working towards having more fluid, pixel-based movement? Would it conflict at all with your ideal version of the game if the controls felt more like a platformer?
sb3dgraph
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2012, 01:49:35 AM »

MW, in this game, I plan to introduce a lot of complex mechanics. Many creatures. If I start draw graphics with animations for they all, it will be hard for me.

Look, without graphics I can do 100 creatures, with static picture I can made 20, and with good animation for each creature, I can add only few creatures in the whole game.

Tell me, what choice is better, do you think?

-------------

Meantime, I made ​​the first images of creatures.

I would be delighted if visitors of this topic will help make them better. Accept and your advices, and pictures. Smiley

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2012, 03:25:53 AM »

Looks nice. It's also awesome that you are making the game of your dreams. Smiley

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2012, 06:01:35 AM »

isn't everyone though? i mean, aside from people who make casual games for sales, or games made just to learn, any indie is probably making the game of their dreams

namragog
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2012, 06:08:25 AM »

isn't everyone though? i mean, aside from people who make casual games for sales, or games made just to learn, any indie is probably making the game of their dreams

Yes  Gomez
sb3dgraph
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2012, 06:47:20 AM »

Manuel Magalhães, thanks!

Not so simple. Usually, any author wants his work became popular. (And I am, too) Therefore, usually the author does not just his dreams, but trying to make a popular game.

But, I want to move away from the desire of popularity. This difference of this game from my past projects.

By the way, the creation of dreams does not prevent discussing of the game. I'm always glad to your thoughts and criticisms.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic