Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:05:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg Demakes[FINISHED]Offslaught '81
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [FINISHED]Offslaught '81  (Read 15118 times)
Dayv
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2008, 08:16:24 AM »

Blockier than Legoland,

More black and white than Laurel and Hardy,

27 years in the making.

It's finally here Offslaught '81

This is my attempt at making a tower defense game ZX-81 style.  I hope you enjoy it.

http://dayv.wikidot.com/offslaught-81

If anyone's got any feature requests or finds any bugs, let me know and I might be able to find time to make a couple of changes before the end of the month.
unless it's a real quickie.

I've spent a bit of time trying to get the difficulty right and I'm reasonably happy now.

BTW to make things easier you can use the mouse (not exactly retro but I think playability is more important)

cheers

Dayv
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 07:53:33 AM by Dayv » Logged
Dayv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 11:10:02 AM »

???Oops, found a little bug that makes it crash when you click in border of the screen, but that's fixed now and I've re-uploaded it.
increpare
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 12:35:29 PM »

Ah; just playing it right now.  Really enjoying it... good work dude...
laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 12:52:35 PM »

That was awesome, felt really old-school. It got super hectic as I went on! Grin The game over screen is pretty scary.
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 02:24:34 PM »

Cool! Kinda easy though Sad.
It's kinda cool how much it flickers once you get a couple maxed out cannons out there.

I think instead of ending it there, once you get to where the end is currently, it should start ramping up a lot quicker so it gets really hard before you can win. Something to force the player to spend their stockpile making super-weapons.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 06:24:22 PM »

First things first, you might want to remove the flashing in the victory screen. That's enough to make me unconfortable and there are epileptic people out there.

Second, game's pretty awesome, if a bit monotonous after a while. Interest can be exploited easily by half of it to get ridiculous ammounts of money. Love the aesthetic. Tongue

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 02:30:27 AM »

That's wonderful. It awoke old memories in me, of typing things from magazines into my Commodore PET.

Dayv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 02:59:16 AM »

Thanks, for the comments.  Melly, I didn't consider the epilepsy thing, but since you've mentioned it I'll take the flashing out of the game-over screens.  It doesn't add anything important to the game.  I think I can probably animate it some other way and I don't want to give someone a seizure.

It's the first time I've written a game and it's hard to judge the difficulty.  I'll see if I can do something to shorten the cash supply a bit in the later part of the game and maybe make the very final wave really hard so that you are going to need to use the cash you've stockpiled.  I don't really want to take it beyond 40 waves.  I'd rather leave people wanting a bit more than getting bored before they complete it.

Once again, thanks for taking a look
Dayv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 06:48:42 AM »

I've uploaded an epilepsy friendly version now, I even took out the subliminal "kill yourself" messages and the ultrasonic sounds to send people deaf.  Apart from that I'm having a day-off from coding.
PHeMoX
Level 2

"All bugs are belong to us."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 12:26:54 PM »

Lol, aah, so that was what's been making me feel funny for a while.  Wink

"Fun is rule."
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 12:38:15 PM »

Excellent representation of a ZX81, right down to the flickering.

The interest can be exploited, and it's a bit odd that it only counts the amount of cash you have at the start of the level; this means that if you spend any money before the wave appears, you don't get interest on it. I also noticed a bit of a bug when an enemy reaches your HQ: Since they warp back to the start point, any bullets that are aimed at them will change direction and fly across the screen. Seeing as this is meant to be a bootleg, however, I don't see that there's any need to fix bugs like that.

Also, your avatar is the T-Rex from 3D Monster Maze, right? That thing was terrifying!

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Dayv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 09:40:35 AM »

I've got a bit of time over the weekend so I'm going to sort out the money supply a bit better.

And my avatar is certainly based upon the 3D Monster Maze T-Rex. I could have used a photo but that would have been more terrifying.  Babies usually cry when they see me.
Dayv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 06:37:15 AM »

Okay, I've spent a bit of time on getting the difficulty right, and made sure you can't get interest on money you've spent. I'm pretty sure this is the final release.  So now I can play games for a bit instead of writing them.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 09:24:46 PM »

where's the download?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
wormfood
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 01:08:36 AM »

its at http://dayv.wikidot.com/offslaught-81
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 06:48:10 AM »

Tower Defense

+ Awesome Calculator Monochrome Style

+ Cool "Pixel Art"

=

Good Game. :D

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
Synnah
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 07:30:22 AM »

Not a calculator! One of the curios of early-80's computing.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2008, 06:26:36 PM »

Hehe, I thought this was an Interstate '76 demake from the name. Nice job, although the difficulty curve is pretty shallow until the first bonus stage. Still, it kept me playing until about level 26 before I died.

wormfood
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 02:32:17 AM »

Well the word "style" makes that correct, because almost all home computers/kits of the time had monochrome character set based displays. the zx81 was no different.

Anyway I hope people wont overlook this one, as i think it plays really well and is one of the few full games that feels complete.  Wink

Synnah
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 04:46:16 AM »

I also hope this doesn't get overlooked, as it's one of my favourite entries in terms of authenticity and accuracy.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic