Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 10:49:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallSPHERE, a game about Trajectory Transmission
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: SPHERE, a game about Trajectory Transmission  (Read 2127 times)
remi_b
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 13, 2012, 02:47:02 PM »

Hi!

We just released SPHERE, our student project! It's a First Person Puzzler about Trajectory Transmission!

The player have a ball that he can launch to create trajectories, and then apply them on his own body!

The concept is easier to understand with the trailer Wink : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj7_nTdXj4Y&feature=youtu.be

Hand Any Key You can play the game RIGHT NOW in your web browser(or download it for Windows/Mac) here:
http://www.remiboutin.com/projectsphere/en/sphere.html

Please give it a try and share your reactions (it will help us to improve the game!)  Gomez

RunawayDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 12:19:42 AM »

The first time I opened it, the Unity player crashed and my browser froze for a little while.

Playing, I'd help a lot if you had the camera slow in and out at the beginning and end of movement. So that its not going 100mph when you barely move the mouse; start slow, then speed up after you move the mouse for awhile.
It'd help me personally if the crosshair was on by default. Without it, its a bit trial and error.

The first puzzle was confusing, given no prompt to try to bounce the ball. I was convinced I was supposed to jump onto the platform for awhile.

Its really pretty looking and the bouncy ball gimmick is interesting. If the ball could look as cool as the environment, that would be nice.
remi_b
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 01:49:19 AM »

Thanks for playing!  Smiley

Some answers to your reactions :

- Unity crash: what web browser do you use? (I have the same problem on other Unity games with Chrome)

- camera speed : you can set the sensitivity in the options. But yes, we plan to add "smooth mouse" later!

- cross hair /trial and error : it was a design choice to challenge the player about evaluating the trajectory of the ball (it's not a FPS : the ball doesn't follow a straight line to the center of the screen)

- Ball : we didn't have a lot of time to work on his design, we plan to improve it in later versions.

We're really interested by players' feedbacks to improve the game, so don't hesitate to share your reactions!  Hand Pencil

ortoslon
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 01:46:35 PM »

posted on owVideogames

quality set in the Unity launcher in the downloadable Windows version is ignored, i have to set it ingame

crosshair setting isn't saved when i quit, i have to enable it every time

red surfaces didn't look special to me, i discovered their use by accident

it's hard to see the pale spot that predicts where i land from afar or through gratings

i wish the view switched to third person when i replay a trajectory so that i could get a better view of obstacles that i skirt
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 02:30:02 PM »

Interesting idea.  Overall it's pretty good. 

At times it seems a bit glitchy though... there were several times when it felt like what I did shouldn't have allowed me to progress, yet somehow I just sort of glootched through walls and ceilings and made it anyway.  In some spots I just sort of made it through the puzzle _somehow_ and I had no idea if what I did was the solution or an accident or a glitch or what.  I just sort of felt like "mmmkay... whatever, moving on."

Also there was one section where I was able to skip three rooms entirely by standing on a door and cheating a shot higher than I should have been able to (in one of the red pad rooms... in fact, the first red pad room iirc).  And it seems that it's a bit forgiving when you, say, run into a ceiling or something, you just sort of slide along it for a bit and when you're clear you resume normal trajectory.

Collision issues aside though it was still interesting enough for me to play through to the end.  Good job Smiley

tweet tweet @j_younger
remi_b
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 03:26:50 PM »

Thanks for the comments (we'll try to improve the game this summer).

I think we have to work on feedbacks and integrated tutorial!

For the "run into the wall" problem, we allows a delta to the player and then force them to fall (with an horrible sound we have to fix). This delta is more than 1 second, so maybe we have to reduce it!
Danmark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 11:28:28 AM »

Enjoyed it all the way through. Great visual and audio design, too.

Some of the rooms are too fiddly; there's too great a gap between knowing how to proceed and getting a good trajectory. Overall, however, it's a bit too easy.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic