Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:52:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDrink, Shoot, Survive
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Drink, Shoot, Survive  (Read 5173 times)
danlthemanl
Level 0

The only thing I'm sure of, is that I don't know..

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2012, 10:04:41 PM »

Drink,Shoot,Survive is a survival game set in the wild west. Your water is running out and you only have 6 rounds for your revolver, your goal is to survive against dangers threatening you in the vast desert.

The game is very early and under development. The game is built with Java/Slick2D which speeds things up, but I plan on taking my time. I'll update with more info as I progress.

You can get more frequent updates on my twitter @allhaildaniel.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 08:10:04 PM by danlthemanl » Logged

Gray Gambit Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 10:23:12 PM »

Looks interesting! I love games with Wild West theme Smiley Have you ever played Lost Dutchman Mine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cCuhpUiN98)?

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 10:35:35 PM »

Ooh, nice.  I'll be keeping an eye on this.

spolvid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 11:14:53 PM »

Looks really great so far!
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 11:31:02 PM »

I think the bullets travel too fast for how slowly you move - it seems like it'd be hard to dodge them. I do like the concept and style, though. I also like that you're a suit-wearing guy in the old west. You probably won't keep it, but it seems cool. Maybe you could make his clothes tear for how long he's been out there?

Anyway, I hope it won't just be "KILL EVERYONE" because there was some law and order in the old west - I mean, will there be talking to townspeople? Ways to get water and survive apart from killing everyone? I think it feels a little unfortunate if you were to be able to choose from a large world of possibilities (being in the old west) but end up going with "Everyone's packing heat; gun them all down."

danlthemanl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 12:07:10 AM »

Anyway, I hope it won't just be "KILL EVERYONE" because there was some law and order in the old west - I mean, will there be talking to townspeople? Ways to get water and survive apart from killing everyone? I think it feels a little unfortunate if you were to be able to choose from a large world of possibilities (being in the old west) but end up going with "Everyone's packing heat; gun them all down."

Talking to towns people and interracting with objects will be a main feature yes. I definitely don't want it to be a "kill everyone type shooter". Say if you stumble upon a group of bandits, there might be a stand off, or peaceful negotiations.There will be consequences for breaking the law, killing or  stealing. The npcs will be far more interactive and likeable.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 12:28:52 AM »

Talking to towns people and interracting with objects will be a main feature yes. I definitely don't want it to be a "kill everyone type shooter". Say if you stumble upon a group of bandits, there might be a stand off, or peaceful negotiations.There will be consequences for breaking the law, killing or  stealing. The npcs will be far more interactive and likeable.

YES. Sounds like a really cool idea, then, especially negotiations. That could make for some really interesting quests - perhaps to get the bandits to back down, you have to go do or get something. Of course, just attacking them would be quicker, but far more dangerous, and innocents would get hurt. Consequences, indeed.

Great idea! Keep developing it!

danlthemanl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 09:25:28 AM »

Here's just a little update.

• Added new textures: sand, cactus, dark rocks, light rocks,weeds
  • Improved accuracy of shooting toward the cursor.
  • Added support for multiple items. So far the Items are: Guns and paper.
  • Redesigned the building

danlthemanl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 07:26:28 PM »

So I've been posting little updates every day and, it will continue as long as I actually get something done. Today, I added:
  • Collision Detection
  • Accurate raycast from the player to the cursor for ranged weapons.
  • Civilian npc reactions
  • A new building

Also, I'm constantly changing the cursor icon. I can't find the perfect shape to go with.

What I'll be working on next is:
  • Health/thirst bar
  • NPC properties (name, age, marital status (so you feel bad when you kill them), and what they're carrying.)
  • Multiple map support & map switching

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 10:03:40 PM »

• Collision Detection
  • Accurate raycast from the player to the cursor for ranged weapons.
  • Civilian npc reactions
  • A new building

Also, I'm constantly changing the cursor icon. I can't find the perfect shape to go with.

What I'll be working on next is:
  • Health/thirst bar
  • NPC properties (name, age, marital status (so you feel bad when you kill them), and what they're carrying.)
  • Multiple map support & map switching

Good to see updates. Here's some ideas.

1. I actually liked the original saloon and building style you had - it felt more 3D and had a bit more depth. Maybe if you just dropped the outline on the flat part of the bar, or just added more of a visible roof, it would feel more 3D.

2. You could change the icon depending on what you're carrying and who you're targeting. For example, it might turn into an X over friendly civilians or a + over enemies. It could also turn into a 0 like in the dev video if you're not holding something dangerous (i.e. trying to attack with a glass of water).

3. The NPC properties are good so far. You could also add simple alignment (good, like a sheriff, evil, like a bandit, or neutral, like an animal or moral-less guy). It'd also be interesting if attacking an NPC of whatever alignment would also alert other NPCs in the area from that alignment, or hurting an NPC of whatever alignment would net you fame against that alignment. Next time you see an NPC of that alignment, they might not be so friendly. But this might force the game too much in one direction (i.e. defeat enough bandits and you'll never be able to shoot the breeze with another bandit ever again).

danlthemanl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 10:50:29 PM »

Cool ideas, noted!

danlthemanl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 01:40:34 PM »

Got a story on The Indie Game Magazine Makes me 200% more motivated to continue.

I will update with progress tonight. I Promises!

danlthemanl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 08:09:26 PM »

Update #3!

I've been very busy lately, otherwise I'd be working a little bit harder. But I added a few things today and they're pretty awesome. I put up a teaser site here. Check it out.

• Health & Thirst bars
  • Regenerating/degenerating thirst
  • New buildings with more of a 3D feel to them.
  • Added water tiles and gravel tiles

Keep in mind, the "health" and "Thirst" text is not final

Thanks for watching!

Sakar
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 11:15:30 AM »

I think the text for the Health and Thirst bars doesn't quite fit. It just seems to take up space for no real reason. I'd say either remove the text or have maybe just the first letter of the word directly to the left of the bar

The new tiles look nice though, and I like that cursor more than the others
danlthemanl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 08:02:51 AM »

New Dev preview video is up!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic