Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:19:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesRetroid (Prototype04)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Retroid (Prototype04)  (Read 13526 times)
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« on: August 24, 2008, 08:50:58 PM »

This is a Demake (by Paul Villapiano a.k.a. ithamore) of Metroid for the Nintendo Entertainment System. It is simulating playing on an imaginary, pre-NES, 8-bit console. The whites squares are doors.

Update 7-1-13: The current downloadable and playable copy of Retroid: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tv89mppe99y9lxa/Retroid.zip

Downloads:
Prototype04
Prototype03
Prototype02
Prototype01

System Requirements (They might be lower than this):
P III
256 MB of RAM
4 MB of Graphical RAM
Windows 2000 (How to get it to work for Linux or OS X)

General Directions:

The Left and Right arrows move the green square.
Up shoots up.
Z and 1 jump.
X and 2 shoot.
Esc or Alt+F4 to quit.

Editing the text files of the layout of the corridors:

The number of letters/spaces need to remain the same. Also, the spawn points for the player are predetermined in the code but that might change, and the player will fall forever for now if there is no floor.

A  walls
B  non-solid walls
I  Invisible walls
2, 3  doors to the respective corridors
E  Energy
Space  empty space

f  the horizontally moving enemy
v  the vertically moving enemy
q  the zigzagging enemy
b  the "boss"

This is still being worked on.

Since I used my entry for the last competition to force myself to learn how to use Game Maker, I figured I would take a similar approach this time and learn how to use ZGameEditor instead.

Download the prototype from here. It has the executable, the ZGE file, and a text file for the level's layout. Jump and shoot with Z and X (or 1 and 2), and the left and right arrows move.

It's not bug free, there's no sound, and the level is just a small test level.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:29:39 AM by ithamore » Logged

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 08:53:12 PM »

Great name. The jumping feels a little strange, and it's hard to tell when I get hurt, but otherwise it has a good metroid feel.
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 07:03:20 AM »

I must thank Rafe for the name. I was going to call it Asteroid Explorer (to have a name that was not a variation of the original source of inspiration but a descriptor of it), but when I was showing it to some coworkers, he called it Retroid. I decided the name was too perfect and kept it.

The jumping works more as a limited anti-gravity ability with the way I was able to get it to work. Also, the ability to stick to ceilings is a feature thanks to this method.

I had tried to have the player pushed away upon damage, but that made it too easy for the player to get stuck into structures. A temporary invisibility feature after taking damage similar to the NES Metroid might be useful, but I have large parts to work on before that.

The collision detection is a bit too perfect (or imperfect) in ZGE and doesn't have enough options or easy corrections to fix it for some game designs. The creator has stated that it doesn't work well at small sizes and high speeds (I think he might have meant and/or since English isn't his first language). Because of this, I've had to do a bit of tinkering with some of the game's collisions.

I've added some sound (and an extra enemy) to the game through ZGE's Sound and Play generative components (currently, ZGE can only generate sounds or import limited midi files). This is all I have so far. Next, I want to work on corridor transitions and items.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 08:13:59 AM by ithamore » Logged

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 03:49:46 PM »

Weird how little squares can do such a good job of calling to mind Metroid...

Not sure if you're supposed to be able to stick to the ceiling, but it's a nifty effect anyway.   Smiley

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 09:53:48 PM »

Prototype03 is up. A vertical corridor has been added and some life squares. After I add a couple more enemies, items, and a boss, I'll move this on to a beta. Also, I found out the sound is too soft to hear without headphones, so I'll have to get around to fixing that, too.

Update: I forgot to mention you can now shoot up by pressing the up key.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 03:06:20 AM by ithamore » Logged

ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 12:50:38 AM »

This is as finished as it's going to get for now: Retroid Prototype04. Maybe I'll just keep working on this and not enter it into the voting.

I'll add some more info after I get back from work and maybe tweak the game some more, since most of the new additions haven't been finished yet.

I don't think the jumping is ever going to change, because I like the way it works in this game. I probably could fix it without effecting the head sticking.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 04:57:59 AM by ithamore » Logged

sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 02:24:21 AM »

Not bad for something so unfinished... I really like how the sounds of the bullets replicate the Metroid title screen music.
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 02:16:28 AM »

I'm still working on this, and I've made a little progress. I'm going to play around with the sound more and work more on the "boss." If you want to follow the process during the competition or if you can't wait until the voting is over to experience such upgrades as lava, you can follow this link to Retroid's thread at the ZGameEditor's forums.

This is a ss of one of the bad versions of the "boss" failing to shoot at the player:

Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 04:22:11 AM by ithamore » Logged

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 06:07:46 AM »

Tried playing the last prototype. Pretty interesting, though I can't get past the vertical corridor. One of the platforms is too high for me to reach.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 12:32:29 AM »

Melly,

You should be able to use sticky head jumping to climb up. The sticky head tricks were bugs I decided to keep and design around, but I didn't make that clear enough. Especially, since it must be known about and mastered to get through the game.

I've finished working on the boss (except for its sounds), and there are enough other features that have been added to move this on to alpha, which I will soon put the latest version online.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 02:12:13 AM by ithamore » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic