Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 03:42:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshophelp me with my graphics
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: help me with my graphics  (Read 8992 times)
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« on: June 19, 2012, 10:36:45 AM »

Hey, I wonder if I'd find anyone willing to help me with my gfx, cuz I don't make pixel-art nor vector art.

Anyway, I'll be posting here portraits, sprites, icons, interface elements and you feel free (or even encouraged) to c&c  Well, hello there!

(I'll always make the images fit the forum, u can right-click -> open image them for original size)

Firstly, item icons for Rune Masters:

That's how they look in-game.

Now some portraits that I redid (after about 4 months):

before

after

before

after

And finally a unit sprite for Mael's Crew (redid 3rd time)

old version (but we needed him from the side)

ink.inc
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 11:02:58 AM »

There's something unappealing about the construction of the pieces. Either the anatomy is messed up or you're getting your perspectives mixed up.

The coloring is messy too- dirty looking, and not in the right way.

The faces look really flat and squashed; perhaps better shading (to reveal the form/volumes of the nose etc.) would help. They're also really off-balance; try flipping the canvas to catch those kinds of errors.
unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 03:43:36 PM »

Volume is the right word for your issue. Remember a while back when I joked about light sources? Kinda not joking. Everything is super flat and has no light source. No light source means flat images. Drawing lines on form also flattens shapes out.

You also need to look at hair, you're kind of making it up right now, same with anatomy.

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 04:37:13 PM »

So, I need to focus on light source, okay. Should I also add a light source on a portraits? I'll try it in the next one, I'll try to reveal the form more. Also some hair studies wouldn't be a bad idea, will see when I'll have some time to do them.

Not much to show from what u said but I'll do some more portraits soon.

Club

@John: I don't exactly understand what I do wrong about the colors, could u elaborate a bit?

Anyway, thanks for the comments guys Smiley

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 10:46:04 AM »

Okay, one more iteration

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 10:52:09 AM »

First of all: You have some fundamentals to iron out.

1 Focus on more interesting poses draw your portraits in SOME kind of perspective -- at first it'll be harder, but you'll soon realize you're making it reaaaalllly difficult on yourself to paint a good portrait just because you're picking a static, ugly pose. No amount of hard work will polish a bad pose/composition into a great painting. Great artists make great art because of great choices.

2 Learn to paint form. Form is simpler than you think. Form is shadow where the form turns away from light, midtone where the form meets light, and sooomeeetimes little highlights where the form reflects the light source directly. You can learn about form here, and also everywhere else.

Now, specific advice:

Bad news: You've got this muddy, terrible, unappealing shading and rendering going on in every one of these pieces. There are a lot of poorly thought out shadow tones splashing all over the place and it makes you images look like a fuzzy mess.

Good news: Doing it the right way is actually EASIER. Simplify -- most things in real life, as perceived by humans, are made up of 1 or 2 simple tones and one transition between those tones per shape.

So SIMPLIFY.

First step, knock almost all of your tones/colors/shades out, and CLEANLY define the forms you need with just 2 or 3 tones per material. While you're doing this, ZOOM OUT OFTEN. If it looks how it's supposed to when you're zoomed out, then you're doing your job! Dont worry how it looks close up. That's for later!

Second step, you have this nearly cell-shaded base to work with, now how do you make it a 'realistic' rendering!? Well, look at the edges! MOST of the information you as an observer use to understand texture, pattern, and surface material, comes from these transitions. Form is revealed in transitions. Material is revealed in transitions. So paint those transitions! Note the differences between the fur, hair, and different parts of the skin. It looks like a TON is going on here in my gif, but it's actually stupidly straightforward, which is why it's important to go through the steps in order: I'm picking a color inbetween the two shades i need to blend, and painting it over and around the transition until it describes whatever subtle shape that i'm trying to capture. Sometimes the transition is very big! Sometimes it is very small!

The third step is going to be impossible to explain, it's up to YOU. This is where the magic happens, and you start capturing the little details from your reference, or infusing it with your own personal style/judgement. Change pose/materials/colors without regret! Keep your simple base, DONT overcomplicate it, dont be afraid to erase and go back if you do make a mistake, and paint it until it looks rad. Have you ever come back to a drawing after a long time away from it and seen a bunch of things to improve it? Refining a piece is about supercharging that process. Change things even if you aren't sure what's wrong with them! Make it happen!

EDIT: Again. Simplify. Your colors are fine, but your muddy shading is killing them. I'll pick your colors, and lay them in without the overblending: isnt that better already? (also changed the proportions -- double check those with ref! it's easy to get tunnel vision.)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 10:58:40 AM by Catguy » Logged

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 11:04:17 AM »

Wow, this is an awesomely useful piece of advice, thanks! I'll try to follow your steps next time, I think it'll be a great help. Once again thanks man!  Beer!

Alpha Pink
Level 0

Jet Drift Studio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 11:11:58 AM »

GREAT STUFF
This.

Also it might help if you use a single bright light source. Hard lighting is dramatic, and it's easier to do than softer sources from different locations. You want to avoid pillowing in HD(?) art as much as in pixel art.

Just a suggestion.
ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 02:43:58 PM »

fuck me, I tried, I swear I did to both simplify and to make dramatic lighting but it looks like shit and I don't even know what I did wrong, tried to follow ur steps

Gosh, I'm nothing  Angry

And yes, your take on that guy looks better :D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 02:49:46 PM by ANtY » Logged

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 04:21:38 PM »

You seem to be on the right track to be honest. I would suggets do the basic cel-like shaded lightbase first on the overall picture, not just rush into detailing the face.

The eyes in particular need some work. I would suggest google some eyes and draw those like quite a lot trying to idefntify how the whoe eye and socket merge eventially into the cheek, the brow and the nose. Try to pick different samples (babies, young and old men/women from different ethnicites, etc). Right now either your eyes look like they are sunken quite deep into the skull, or stand out as some marbles out of place.

Whats with that beard/stache anyway?

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 04:42:24 PM »

Whats with that beard/stache anyway?
He's half a monkey man, no hate

About the other stuff you said, I'll check the eyes then, thanks Smiley
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 04:58:42 PM by ANtY » Logged

unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 05:28:38 PM »

Liking the progress, quick tips.

Don't be afraid to use several colors, skin isn't pink hair isn't yellow and eyeballs aren't white. Also, shade and highlight with color rather than white and black, light tends to have color (temperature! warm-orangish/cool-blueish).

Also, with hair, just by reference observational, facial hair follows the form of the face, shading applies to compared to just sitting on top of the image flat.

For the club, it's still super flat. The best way to give objects volume is honesty studying simple objects, spheres, cylinders, etc. and seeing how light hits and turns around the form.

Alpha Pink
Level 0

Jet Drift Studio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 05:31:38 PM »

The best way to give objects volume is honesty studying simple objects, spheres, cylinders, etc. and seeing how light hits and turns around the form.
This.
Did you do an outline of the monkey dude first? Break him down into simple shapes? I find that always helps. If you did draw a rough first, I'd love to see it.
ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 03:44:20 PM »

@unsilentwill: lol, I'm always trying to remember about color variations but keep forgeting  Lips Sealed
Hmm, good point about facial hair.

@soap: didn't know I have to draw an outline first since Catguy didn't do one. Next time I'll start from linework

Didn't have much time to post my crap here, was working 24/7 on the update for my project, anyway:

Stuff for my 4fun RPG world and system:

most common races of Navaroth

Then there is my character from RPG we're playing with friends, I know about the issues with legs but I drew it also for fun only and in hurry before the session (are RPG meetings the same way in English?)

And a shitload of items for the game, weren't sure how to present all of them so I'll put all them tooltips in one compilation:

for 2 of them I used photos to make lineart, not that familiar with gunzzz

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 11:23:40 AM »

Tried to draw a character using references for the first time.

That's how it looks in game - http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/1831/ss5nm.jpg

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 03:33:21 PM »

that is on a completely new level compared to the other portraits.

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2012, 03:47:27 PM »

Agreed. You improved a lot in this last portrait.

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2012, 10:35:19 PM »

The proportions are still whacked. You need to use some kind of perspective outlines for your faces. In your most recent portrait, the nose is too far to the right and the mouth is too small for the face as well as misaligned.

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, 02:15:09 AM »

Wow, that's a really useful link. I sometimes also have problems with this, but the rotating skull technique should make it easier. Smiley

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2012, 07:56:57 AM »

Thanks guys,

This time I tried to focus more on keeping the right proportions, thanks for the link, looks like it could be pretty helpful  Wink

This time it's the Priest

I know that the bottom part (his clothes) is much less detailed and looks worse than the face but it doesn't matter that much since it looks good in game http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/6505/ss6kx.jpg

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic