Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 07:26:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesAquarium [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Aquarium [FINISHED]  (Read 83299 times)
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2008, 10:31:12 PM »

"Cheesy" and "ugly" are not words I would use to describe this. The art and music were both well done. The waving text effect looks great, and the gameplay is tight. I wasn't expecting some of the subtleties, like dropping rocks on enemies, and singing to plants. Great job! I'm sorry for your loss, and hope you'll find the time to develop this when you're ready.

guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2008, 10:44:28 PM »

I'm Sorry about your grandmother. Sad The graphics are pretty cool, I dig your style, original and clean. And the game captures the Aquaria feeling perfectly. I hope you decide to finish it when the time's right. Heh, you use MMF too.

Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2008, 11:48:06 PM »

polish in this is so good!! some bugs with the collision detection, but im sure its because of everything that happened..

im sorry everything happened that way,
but im glad you were able to get as much as you did its really great!!
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2008, 12:44:22 AM »

Awesome job, man. Smiley

Sorry to hear about your grandmother.

medieval
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2008, 11:36:28 PM »

Sorry about your grandma.

The game is really nice, I have never played the original aquaria but I am sure that you have not dishonored it by the slightest. (Even though that usually comes with demakes  Wink)
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2008, 12:50:55 AM »

My condolences too Sad

I've just gotten around to playing this, and I love it! It's gorgeous, and I love how you simplified the basic concepts of the game (like health and the verse). The music is really cool too - I've only started playing the entries but I have a feeling that this could be one of my favorites from the contest! Beer!

Oracle
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2008, 08:59:53 AM »

@Noyb : Im really happy that you liked it, i tried to translate much of the escence of Aquaria into 8-bit Aquarium, specially those little details that make the original game so rich. Thank you for your kind words.

@guillermo: Its been a while since i've done much artwork (due to work and law-school), so im glad you liked the "art" of the game, i was just hoping it didn't come out to shabby. Im hoping to add a couple of levels sometime soon.
Thank you for your kind words.

@Annabelle Kennedy: Thank you! One of the things i really liked about the original game, was the ammount of time dedicated to detail. I think that all of those little things put together is what makes a nice game.
Sometimes i think is the wrong aproach, specially when you are dealing with deadlines, but thats just the way i roll  Cool Tongue

@Alec: That's really nice, specially comming from you guys. (now just get Derek in here too, and you'll make my day  Tongue )

@Medieval: Why, thank you!... to tell you the truth, i only played the demo of Aquaria, so i can't say all that much either (granted i have seen a few gameplay videos on youtube)  Tongue

@Terry: Hey Terry! wow, thank you man! im really glad that you liked, and that i was able to "translate" the important aspects to a more limited control scheme.
Thank you for your kind words. Smiley

jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2008, 10:52:14 AM »

Wow, nice!

I got stuck early on by the invincible jellyfish though Sad

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2008, 12:59:39 PM »

Hey, Oracle - it's a real honor to have Aquaria demade, even more so from you!  It looks fantastic (natch), and I'll give you a full report once I start playing all the games!

Glad you had a good time working on it, also.  Best wishes to you and your fam.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2008, 10:55:38 PM »

Oracle: Could you get me in touch with the dude that did the music? I'd like to ask some stuff. Smiley I tried emailing him directly, but I didn't get a response. Thanks!  Gentleman

Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2008, 10:43:47 AM »

This is hugely cute.

In particular, I love the way the jellyfish multiply.  Did they do that in Aquaria?  I never noticed if they did.  It's a great way to make it feel like you're really in an ecosystem.   Smiley

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Oracle
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2008, 04:28:11 PM »

Hey guys, i just got back to town, since we went to bury our grandmother by the beach (we live at the city) next to our grandfather.
It was a very beautiful, tho, sad ceremony.
I want to thank everyone for the nice words on the subject.

@jeb: Oh, but there aren't any invinsible Jellyfish! im sure its just a darn bug   Embarrassed, please, do try it again. It's not long.

@Derek: Hey, the honor was all mine, you and Alec made one hell of an art piece, and like i've said before, even tho, i havent played past the demo, it just show the ammount of polish and detail (and love towards it) in the videos i've seen.
Alec's and your comments mean a lot Smiley.
Thank you for your nice words Smiley

@Alec: Hey man! Im sorry, i just kept contact with him trough PMs, but ill send him one, and let him know of the head's up Smiley
There's this mail contact that he gave me (that appears on the game) also, but i think that's what you meant by the email.

@Pacian: Why, thank you! I think they didnt do that in the original game (i didnt see any video of it at least) but yeah, i figured it would be a nice touch, tho, i ran into some problems with it in the egine, since if you took a bit too long on some parts of the "stage" the others get overcrowded with enemies, so i had to limit it to a 50 max overall on stage, otherwise it would be too hectic.

I also have like a small demo of the walking/jumping Naija, in case someone is interested in seeing that, im sure Alec and Derek at least would apreciate it, so ill upload it on the weekend for you guys to try it out.

Cheers!
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2008, 10:45:27 PM »

@jeb: Oh, but there aren't any invinsible Jellyfish! im sure its just a darn bug   Embarrassed, please, do try it again. It's not long.

Yep, it happened again. All went fine and dandy until I died, then the monsters in the cave with the gray pearl became invincible (again). That room is quite difficult to get through without killing the jellyfish, I must say.  Gentleman

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2008, 11:35:22 PM »

So cute! Congratulations, and I hope that you get around to finishing it, Oracle.

Also, my condolences to you and your family regarding your grandmother.

Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2008, 01:24:37 PM »

This is so awesome...

I must really stick around Tigs watching over for the contests! grrr  Angry

The Ivy
Level 1

Offices in Miragia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2008, 03:16:18 PM »

Hey Oracle, I wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed this game. Smiley Some of those puzzles were tricky, but never so much that it made me want to give up. All of the sprites were adorable, and the gameplay was actually more responsive than I was expecting. I would totally play a longer game with the same shooting mechanic, maybe with some more monsters and weapons and so forth.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. Best wishes to you and your family, and I hope you're feeling better soon. 
increpare
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2008, 03:50:49 PM »

I would totally play a longer game with the same shooting mechanic, maybe with some more monsters and weapons and so forth.
I'd like to ditto that.
Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2008, 08:33:59 AM »

The invincible jellyfish bug happened to me too, I think it happens when you let them multiply a looot

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2008, 08:47:19 AM »

Slashie should totally have made a roguelike demake of some high-end game. Grin

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2008, 09:11:35 AM »

I didn't know about the compo until it was over already... grrrrrr GRRRR