Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1026801 Posts in 41173 Topics- by 32776 Members - Latest Member: coolart

July 25, 2014, 07:05:34 PM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsRogue's Souls (UPDATED APRIL 14)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: Rogue's Souls (UPDATED APRIL 14)  (Read 70318 times)
bakaohki
Manbaby

View Profile Email
« Reply #150 on: November 11, 2012, 09:17:05 AM »

Nice work, really looking forward to saves. In the meantime, do you have the code on github, google code or on sourceforge? I'm curious and want to look around a bit - if not, can you tell in what language was the game written?
C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 12, 2012, 02:51:15 AM »

Thanks!

No, the game is closed source at the moment. I'm planning to clean the code up a bit and make it public for 1.0 though. The game is written in Game Maker 8.1.

Anyway,
DEV UPDATE:
Saves are working now. Now all that's left to do is making a proper menu for loading and (probably) fixing a few bugs. I'm thinking of releasing a new intermediate version to see if people are having any issues with it. Also probably going to get some kind of morgue file into 0.9 so you can see your past characters.

C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 15, 2012, 05:32:40 AM »

Writing the load function made me realize I was handling certain aspects of levelgen in a really stupid way. I just rewrote some of the code which sped the process up to the point where the "building level" screen isn't really needed anymore. I thought the slowness was GM's fault but apparently not.  Facepalm

I also noticed that the ASCII tileset in the 0.8 build I uploaded doesn't contain the locked door tile, causing some problems with locked doors when using it. I just went ahead and uploaded a new rar with all the tiles in it as well as a minor fix in one of the data files. Not enough to call it a new version though.

C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 22, 2012, 11:48:16 AM »

OK, version 0.84 is out!

Main feature here is the saves. No changes to content yet, that'll be for the next release. The reason I'm doing this release in 2 parts is because development is slow at the moment due to university stuff.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3725770/roguessouls_0.84.rar

Worthless_Bums
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #154 on: November 22, 2012, 10:30:24 PM »

Hey this game is a pretty good game when the code is compiling  Well, hello there!

Question: is there implicit facing in this game? It seems that sometimes blacked out areas aren't revealed unless I move in the area's direction.

Currently working on Steam Marines, a squad-based steampunk roguelike.
C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 23, 2012, 03:36:55 AM »

Thanks!

Hey this game is a pretty good game when the code is compiling  Well, hello there!
Huh? What's happening? Error messages?

Question: is there implicit facing in this game? It seems that sometimes blacked out areas aren't revealed unless I move in the area's direction.
Nope. Line of sight treats doors and walls as obstacles. No facing.

Worthless_Bums
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #156 on: November 23, 2012, 10:17:16 AM »

I guess I should have added that it was "my code" compiling. Whoops.

This is what I mean: http://imgur.com/baGtm,OYDSN#0

C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 24, 2012, 03:21:02 AM »

Haha, thanks for the clarification. I was already wondering because my game is closed source (for the time being) so there's nothing to "compile." Anyway, glad you're enjoying it.

What's happening in the screen is probably that there's a wall  or a closed door in the way (the map is revealed in 10x10 chunks). There are still a few glitchy/odd aspects to how the LOS works. I'll try to fix them for the next version.

Worthless_Bums
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #158 on: November 26, 2012, 10:57:47 AM »

Oh there's a second image in that link - no wall. That's why I thought it was very odd  My Word!

C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 26, 2012, 11:03:23 AM »

Oops, didn't see that.

Yeah that's odd. Will look into it.

C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 12, 2012, 04:06:57 PM »

I haven't had a lot of time to work on this in the weeks since the last release. Nevertheless I've added 2 new enemies, a new boss and a couple new items. The morgue function is going into the next version but probably in a simpler form than what I had originally in mind. Might expand on it later.

C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 13, 2013, 07:45:02 AM »

Because the uni work just keeps piling up and I keep lacking time to work on this game, I decided to do another intermediate release. This one is called 0.86 and has SOME of the new content planned for 0.9, as well as a few small tweaks and bugfixes.

Unfortunately, 0.84 save files are incompatible with this version.

Download and changelog in the OP.

Beer!

C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 15, 2013, 02:09:54 PM »

Just stopping by to say I'm still working on this. I didn't do too much over the last 2 months but since the beginning of March things have been progressing steadily again.

Not sure when I'm going to release the next build, but I don't really want to do another intermediate release before 0.9 comes out.

C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 18, 2013, 06:59:38 AM »

I figured I should post a bit about what I'm working on at the moment so yeah,

DEV UPDATE
Over the past few weeks I've been implemting the tomb file where your dead characters are stored, and in tandem with that, the new phantom mechanic. This is basically a cross between the ghosts from Nethack, Crawl etc. and the invasion mechanic from the Souls games.

Phantoms are generated from your dead chars and always appear at the dungeon level they died at. They are not spawned during levelgen like normal monsters but appear during gameplay. The probability for a phantom to spawn depends on the dungeon level, your soul level and the amount of souls you're carrying. The idea is to use this as a kind of "rank" mechanic to hit you with a tough enemy when you're doing well.

Other than that I've been adding some new content (mainly items) and fixing some bugs as I go along.

Because my focus isn't on tweaking and balancing at the moment, the 0.9 (just like the last couple builds) will probably be rather unbalanced, especially late game. After that though it's going to be a slow crawl towards polishing the game and making it fun to play.

Coffee

soundlust
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #164 on: March 18, 2013, 09:12:46 AM »

This is a pretty neat roguelike, the difficulty is at a good place.

The phantom idea from DCSS could be good, it was always my largest source of rage early game. but it did make things a little more fun from time to time.

I've always leaned towards more content vs polish, so I'm all for your plans!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic