Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1048209 Posts in 42499 Topics- by 34385 Members - Latest Member: woolycaveman

October 02, 2014, 08:29:29 AM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsRogue's Souls (UPDATED APRIL 14)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: Rogue's Souls (UPDATED APRIL 14)  (Read 77807 times)
Connor
Level 5

Programmer of the jasper chronicles

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #180 on: April 17, 2013, 07:21:47 PM »

any news on a texture pack by chance? id love to be able to get the game if it had proper fleshed out textures... if not, ill give it a pass :/

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.com

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 18, 2013, 12:12:38 PM »

I guess the challenge is making the gameplay so interesting that it's enjoyable for those who won't beat it, and still creating an end that was worth the time spent for the people who do beat it. It seems like such a weird balance.
Yeah, that's why I'm trying to make the endgame flexible. I think it's not just an issue with people beating the game vs. people not beating it. With roguelikes, there's always the danger of making goals too rigid (as opposed to something like "find the level exit")  and turning the game into an optimization puzzle to achieve those fixed goals.

Oh and the generation ideas you wrote out earlier were great! Gave us a lot of inspiration for how to handle ours, much appreciation.
Thank you!  Smiley

C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 21, 2013, 01:22:44 PM »

DEV UPDATE
Question: is there implicit facing in this game? It seems that sometimes blacked out areas aren't revealed unless I move in the area's direction.
I know this is an old post and what not, but I finally found out what was causing the erratic behavior of the LOS (it was something really simple and stupid Tongue) and it's now fixed.

So far I've kinda done more mechanics changes/additions and bugfixes than new content (which was what I had planned). I'm thinking of tying up some loose ends, releasing what I have so far as 0.9 and moving the rest of the new content design into another, later build.

Also I've been working on this for more than a year now  Shocked
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 02:38:45 AM by C.A. Sinner » Logged

C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 26, 2013, 02:19:29 AM »

OK, new build is out! Download here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3725770/roguessouls_0.9.rar

The main addition here is the tomb and phantoms, as previously discussed. Full changelog in the OP.

If you find any bugs or other weirdness, just give me a holler! Beer!Hand Knife Right

Jerom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: April 26, 2013, 09:07:58 AM »

when I press any key to close the dialog box with the first NPC, this window appear:

ERROR in
action number 1
of Keyboard Event for <any key> Key
for object o_player:

In script player_controls:
In script player_interact:
In script npc_dialog:
Error in code at line 38:
   if line=di_bye and character_has_attrib("talk_die",npc)>-1
           ^
at position 10: Cannot compare arguments.

C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 26, 2013, 10:08:38 AM »

woops, that's something i forgot to fix  Embarrassed

uploaded new exe, link should be the same

C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 27, 2013, 03:26:34 PM »

so yeah, i have a cold right now, so i'm staying home and have had lots of time to work on the game over the last 2 days.

so much in fact that i'm putting out a new build that fixes some crucial bugs and changes some stuff.

download here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3725770/roguessouls_0.902.rar

changelog
Code:
-Fixed a severe bug with the tomb menu
-Fixed bug where merchant menu would be displayed incorrectly
-Line of sight and field of view algorithms should be more reliable now

-Increased effect of last action on block/dodge chances
-Reduced phantom spawn probability
-Made most armor heavier
-Gave certain monsters higher knockback resistance

-Updated some info in the manual

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: April 28, 2013, 01:09:59 AM »

Really fun to play but lagged terribly and overheated my netbook, that's a GameMaker thing it seems

C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 28, 2013, 01:23:43 AM »

unfortunately yes, i have a netbook too and the game is practically unplayable on that. i heard GM studio is much faster though, so I've been thinking of getting that and porting the game to it. though, depending on how much code i'd have to rewrite, it might not be worth it right now.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: April 28, 2013, 01:28:37 AM »

In fact, at first I though that game stopped moving when using mouse and received a message (like how Brogue stops movement when you spot an enemy) but apparently it was lag...

Ant
« Reply #190 on: April 28, 2013, 02:10:47 AM »

Yeah I've heard people say Studio is faster but I've ported three of my GM8 games over and haven't noticed any speed boost. Though the 1.2 update is adding something called LLVM which is supposed to massively speed GM up and should come out in a few months.

Porting was pretty easy for my games, just had to work around a couple of defunct functions but otherwise works the same. Though I'd probably wait to get Studio until a bit after the 1.2 update. Studio is getting pretty constant updates right now and are still fiddling with major stuff under the hood so you have to deal with weird bugs cropping up all the time, recently there's been two updates that made my game completely unplayable. There is version control so you can roll back if a new update is causing grief but it's still annoying.
C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 28, 2013, 03:09:14 AM »

In fact, at first I though that game stopped moving when using mouse and received a message (like how Brogue stops movement when you spot an enemy) but apparently it was lag...
nah the mouse movement automatically stops when you get too close to an enemy so chances are that wasn't lag

@caiys: thanks for the info! i just checked the list of deprecated functions and the game only uses like 2 of them for debugging, so the transition would probably be pretty smooth.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 04:33:27 AM by C.A. Sinner » Logged

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: April 28, 2013, 03:30:57 AM »

The white tile overlay also lagged at those times though

C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 28, 2013, 04:35:57 AM »

well yeah i'm not denying the game runs badly on netbooks, haha

Gimym JIMBERT
Level 10

NOTGAMER ludophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #194 on: April 28, 2013, 02:11:05 PM »

'Forget to follow, repair done

ILLOGICAL, random guy on internet, do not trust (lelebĉcülo dum borobürükiss)
C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 28, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »

'Forget to follow, repair done

Sup Gimmy!

This thread you made a while back really helped me with implementing locked doors in this game.

Gimym JIMBERT
Level 10

NOTGAMER ludophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #196 on: April 28, 2013, 05:47:02 PM »

Oh cool!

I hope someday I finish the work and look at "flow control" and "one way" path. I also need to look at constrain propagation of resource consumption (health, mana, difficulties, money, enemy, etc..) through a network. Will be useful for example to create sonic like procedural generation with momentum path through speed building string lay out (momentum as a lock/key mechanic). It's another way to say it's about purposeful sequences generation. Information flow was ridiculously easy to get.

/rambling

ILLOGICAL, random guy on internet, do not trust (lelebĉcülo dum borobürükiss)
C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 13, 2013, 07:42:02 AM »

DEV UPDATE:
OK, so I just added locked level exits to the game to add some variety. Exits are unlocked by pulling a lever in a special room that contains tough monsters (and/or possibly bosses if applicable, not sure about this yet) and is always at the end of a side path. I've set the code up in a such a way as to allow for multiple levers but I don't know if I'm actually going to have them.

Also starting to change up enemy AI a bit to take advantage of the changing block/dodge values more. For instance, bats now circle around you while they're engaged in melee with you to increase their chance to dodge.

C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 19, 2013, 12:17:30 PM »

Working a lot on this again at the moment. Expect a release sometime next week.

DEV UPDATE
I've reverted to the old line of sight algorithm for now because the new one introduced in 0.902 is just too taxing performance-wise.

I also completely changed the way traps on chests work. Traps are a now a "punishment" of sorts for failing to open a chest, so you can't just keep spamming the interaction key without any risk other than losing a small handful of turns. They're much more common now as well. I added a few new trap types to go along with the changes.

And lastly, I'm currently in the middle of redesigning the dungeon progression from the ground up. That's not as much work as it sounds, I'm just creating new levelgen parameter sets for each dungeon level. I felt like there was no real sense of increasing complexity between the levels, so the idea now is to start with some very straightforward linear levels and introduce more mazelike structures later. Also locked doors mostly won't show up until about the 3rd level now and levers get introduced even later.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile Email
« Reply #199 on: May 23, 2013, 05:06:36 AM »

Cool. Gotta catch up here, it's been awhile. You've progressed quite nicely, here!

(tangent)
And it's funny you mention that stuff Gimmy, that's the kind of things I've been working on myself. A split-path approach where enough momentum and/or a successful reflex test determines which route you take (there's some painful math there, I'm sure you're on top of it - success route clearly has reward integrated).

And while I didn't know where to appropriately discuss it (Design subforum?), I was thinking something along a game having a limited approximation of certain class-locked resources (let's say one type is exclusively used for melee weaponry purchases, for example), and then a progression of values (10, 30, 60, 100, 300, 600, 1000) where it's impossible to purchase all of them, but the total resources give you some diverse options in progression. Topping out your character would occur near the 3/4-end phase, but would only be possible by achieving that with minimal upgrades to get there (the 10/30/60 or 100 ones, plus that?).

(Around 1100 to 1500 of each? But conservatively, more like the 1100 each as a base, then just some extra resources sprinkled at random, for the sake of player flexibility...)

Resources that are more naturally plentiful are ones you can afford to splurge on a bit; but it really forces the player to consider cost-efficiency of spending/upgrading versus the potential for saving, because the endgame with *no* top-tier gear may be overwhelming somehow - it's not always about acquiring the latest-and-greatest. Just knowing what your strengths and weaknesses as a player are.
(/tangent)

Note to idiot self: Hijacking a moderator's DevLog thread with a tangential response is probably not the smartest move in the book, here. lol

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic