Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411274 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:50:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioSound Effect Challenge
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sound Effect Challenge  (Read 10371 times)
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« on: June 04, 2007, 06:57:13 PM »

Maybe this'll catch on, or maybe it wont.  Here we go.

Music challenges are great, but they can eat up a lot of time, and some of our musicians are a tough bar to be held up to.  So something else in the same vein that should be much quicker, easier, and certainly more open to interpretation.  Sound effect making!

Use whatever tools you have at your disposal.  A microphone and a box of Kraft dinner, synthesis tools, midi instruments in a short arrangement, whatever you've got.  Scream in to a microphone if you must.  Even feel free to do something absurd (like for a death sound, saying "feels... so... good").  Have fun with it.

Also, I encourage you to talk about how you made your sound.  That way, you can help by giving others inspiration or alternative ideas of how to do such a sound.

As well, if you choose to theme an interpretation, say SOUND-EFFECT-HERE for a Mario'esc platformer, British Chess game, or a WW2 shooter with candy people, go for it.  Let us know what you were thinking, and then let us hear it.

--

And a quick disclaimer, just in case this thread turns in to a resource. Don't steal sound effects without author's permission.

Alternatively, as a sound designer (that's right everybody, you're sound designers), if you'd like to specify a license for the sound (free for non commercial use, or free for all), do so in your post.

--

Challenge: Pause Button

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to make a noise for those moments in a game when the player slams that Start button to pause the game (or ESC key respectfully).  Bleepity bloops, chimes, or something completely unexpected.  Have fun with it.  If you want more, feel free to make both a Pause and Unpause sound, or do multiple interpretations.

Go!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 07:44:37 PM by PoV » Logged

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 07:04:13 PM »

Awesome idea, PoV!  And to make it easier, how about if... when you post up your sound effect, mention whether or not it's free to use, free to use for free projects only, etc.
PoV
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 07:45:15 PM »

Good point.  I'll modify the original post to suggest that.

And a first entry to get things started.  This one, I wanted a basic "bleepity bloop" sound.  Or rather, that's how I tend to describe the basic pause noise.  Smiley

Pause - Simple Bleepy Bloop.mp3

This sound I made with a VST called KarmaFX.  I fired up my sequencer (Live), added the VST, and simply looked for a simple blippy patch I liked.  I then played the sequence on my midi keyboard, amplified it, and added some light reverb.  It turned out fine, but I'd probably make it faster if I was to redo it.

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 08:17:30 PM »

Sweet thread. I bet we'll be able to use this stuff for BQ. Smiley

PoV
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 08:44:26 PM »

Excellent.  Follow up project coded acronyms.  Smiley

Another one from me, to hopefully get things moving.

This one, I don't think it works as a pause sound too well.  It sounds like some sort of psytrance introduction that you could musically play on your pause/unpause.  Playing each too quickly after the last sounds bad though.

Pause - Fuzz Harmony.mp3

A 3 note fuzz synth sound, with a kick drum.  Made much the same way as the last one, but with a different patch.  I use a delay effect that matches my tempo to get the in time echo on the distorted synth.  And a nice long reverb on the kick for depth.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 08:53:23 PM »

BQ = Balding's Quest

PoV
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 08:54:20 PM »

Whoops.  I should have guess that. 

PoV
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 09:47:59 PM »

* PoV twiddles thumbs.

Oh don't mind me.  I'm just going sound effect crazy. Smiley

Next up, one that started as a music box pause/unpause melody, but turned in to a doorbell???

Pause - Vibraphone Doorbell.mp3

Colossus VST, the Vibraphone instrument.  Sequenced in Live.  It's basically raw, as the sound has it's own ringing ambiance.

portabello
Level 0

charlie don't surf!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 09:59:11 PM »

a little fmsynth built in pd.

the file is attached to the post so you need to log in to get it.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 10:01:16 PM by portabello » Logged
PoV
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 10:44:22 PM »

Funky.  Now I'm allowed to post another. Wink

This one's approach is interesting.

Pause - Barking Saw.mp3

Using Synth1 VST, I took a saw synth patch and removed it's delay.  Then to get the sound, I fiddled with the pitch wheel on my keyboard as I played the same note.  I played some 30 variants, before I rendered and edited the file down to a pair of synthy barking sounds.  I reversed the 2nd "bark" to give it more of a sucking sound.  Then isolated and copied single barks from each bark pair just to hear how they sounded alone.  The singles almost sounded like usable forward/back sounds on a pause menu, so I left them in.

This one's approach isn't.  Similar idea to the doorbell, but with a Synth1 patch.

Alright, I have to cut myself off for the night.

FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 11:50:20 AM »

No one's mentioned what license they are submitting their sound effects under.  Since I see this being a persistent problem, can we just say that everything in this thread is public domain?  Or perhaps creative commons?

I'd partake, but I currently don't have the requisite setup.  This sounds like a fun project though.  And if we're gonna pause, then let's

, kna'mean?

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 05:35:44 PM »

I dunno...I tried.

Pause - Unpause

FLStudio, some tool in there.

portabello
Level 0

charlie don't surf!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 07:25:17 PM »

I have attached the pd patch file for my sound so it can be both public domain and open source.
axel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 08:33:42 AM »

(See attached file)

Made in ModPlug Tracker, simply because I'm most comfortable with it. I just mashed together two random samples I found on my harddisk, and added some effects and stuff Tongue

Chainsaw surgery.
The Doctor
Maestro
Level 0

aka: AtrusRand, Yaegashi...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 01:03:36 PM »

Well, I tried to keep it simple, but since I just had surgery, and I'm finally able to write music again, I kinda went overboard just slightly.

http://buzinkai.net/PXTone/pause.mp3

ChrisFranklin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2007, 02:27:40 PM »

Here's a real quick Pause/Unpause I whipped up in AdsynDX.  It's really synth-y sounding (as is painfully always the case with AdsynDX), but maybe it could prove useful to someone someday?
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2007, 05:01:37 PM »

Yay! Chris is finally here!

I used adsyn for some of the Goo sounds. They were eventually replaced, but I was getting the hang of creating sounds, sin wave by sin wave. I reckon you can come up with some neat stuff (and I like your sound, chris). It can be a good way to create a source sound put into other weird 'n whakey filters.

ChrisFranklin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2007, 06:03:43 PM »

Wow.  I was using headphones while making that sound at work, and now that I hear it on my tinny little laptop speakers the Unpause sound barely comes through at all.  Bassy sounds are mean.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic