Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411418 Posts in 69362 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 05:50:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsTIGJam:UK
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]
Print
Author Topic: TIGJam:UK  (Read 67108 times)
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 09, 2009, 01:24:38 AM »

I sure hope something's planned in the UK for next fall  Smiley
C418
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: August 06, 2009, 09:15:43 AM »

PLEAAAASE make a Tigjam in december!

PLEAAAAASE   Hand Shake LeftSadHand Shake Right

Corpus
« Reply #222 on: August 06, 2009, 09:38:22 AM »

Hah, you really enjoyed Berlin, huh?

Honestly, I don't know how much time I'll have available for organisation of a UK jam this year, just because I'm starting university in September/October and don't currently know for certain the exact demands that's going to be making on my time (especially since I won't even know which university I'm going to until I get my exam results on Aug 20th). I expect I'll be able to help out properly next year, once I know how it all works. This year, though, I doubt it.

I'm still up for helping out, if other people are doing the majority of the organising. We were talking about this in #tigirc, and it might even be better to have a team of multiple people working together, rather than just two - that way, the load would be spread, and everyone involved would have to devote less time while still getting the job done.

Also worth considering is finding an alternative location to London which would still be reasonably accessible to foreign chappies. London is really, really expensive. I mean really, really, really expensive. It could be that there might be a cockney equivalent of St Oberholz that would let us hold it there (I hear the café thing was appreciated). However, I'm not sure that the British, and particularly the Londonian attitude is one that would lend itself to a similarly fair agreement (that is, letting us stay there if we buy their stuff).
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: August 06, 2009, 09:57:53 AM »

throwing my 2 cents in the hat: in my line of work it's a widely accepted approach to hold trainings / events etc in community centres, church halls, etc., which at first might sound ridiculous in relation to a TigJam, but wait: it IS a relatively quiet environment after all, with no people wading in on our place. The network connection should not be too hard to arrange for either.

Then it only has to be placed carefully in terms of having sufficient choice of cafes/pubs/restaurants and supermarkets nearby so that instead of meddling with the hosts, everyone can just go and pick their own choice of refreshments. Without feeling guilty. Which we did, didn't we? Didn't we? No, we didn't.

The event not taking place in central London might further reduce the cost while not hindering accessibility (towns near airports & so, I'm just thinking aloud).

I'm gonna get down to finding out what does a church (etc.) cost for a weekend and let you guys know if something worthy of considering came up. (Phase two: the Apostolic Faith Mission of Independent Gaming)

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: August 06, 2009, 10:10:00 AM »

Will definitely be going to this, whereever it is Smiley

There were a few mentions of Cambridge as a venue in Berlin, which makes a lot of sense - it's every bit as easy as London to get to from stansted airport, and being a studenty city it'll likely be a lot cheaper and easier to find a venue.

Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: August 06, 2009, 10:18:59 AM »

I'll be going to uni in Oxford next year, and I'd definitely like to contribute the organization of a TIG Jam: UK. Not doing it in London but in Cambridge (or Oxford!  Gentleman ) sounds like a great idea to me.
Corpus
« Reply #226 on: August 06, 2009, 11:45:04 AM »

throwing my 2 cents in the hat: in my line of work it's a widely accepted approach to hold trainings / events etc in community centres, church halls, etc., which at first might sound ridiculous in relation to a TigJam, but wait: it IS a relatively quiet environment after all, with no people wading in on our place. The network connection should not be too hard to arrange for either.

Yeah, we looked at this last time, but didn't manage to find anywhere useful in London (though I'm sure there do exist places that could have been used). Still, it's worth looking, and it should be easier to find such a location outside of the capital.

I may also be able to help out considerably more with a Cambridge / Oxford jam. Like I mentioned, a lot depends on the grades I get two weeks from now.

Also, I believe Dock still lives in the Cambridge area, so we could exploit his connections Wink
Titch
Level 3

Cautiously Pragmatic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: August 06, 2009, 11:47:17 AM »

Will definitely be going to this, wherever it is Smiley

This.

I was kind of green when I went last year.  Embarrassed

Unfortunately I live out in the middle of nowhere in Hampshire, so I doubt theres much I can do to help with organisation. Oxford sounds great though.

Corpus
« Reply #228 on: August 06, 2009, 11:51:22 AM »

I live in Newcastle. As the saintly folks at Tesco advise us, every little helps.

At the minute, what everyone can help out with is just using the power of the internet to seek out potential locations Smiley
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: August 06, 2009, 12:03:02 PM »

As it happens, I live in Cambridge as well. If a Jam were held here, I'd finally have (practically) nothing standing in the way of my attending! Not being particularly good at organisation, I don't want to promise too much, but I know someone who's involved in organising gaming-related events. I can make some enquiries, if you'd like.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: August 06, 2009, 01:48:35 PM »

If this is in December, I'm pretty sure I can come. I get more moneys once I'm 18, so (october!).

Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 07, 2009, 03:12:48 AM »

It took me way, way too long to figure out why a flight to London apparently only takes like 20 minutes, but the flight back about 2 hours.
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: August 07, 2009, 03:14:55 AM »

It took me way, way too long to figure out why a flight to London apparently only takes like 20 minutes, but the flight back about 2 hours.
Because London is downhill! Wink

twitter: @docky
mirosurabu
« Reply #233 on: August 07, 2009, 03:57:26 AM »

I'll be staying in UK following months. Therefore, this must happen.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic